What oil do you use? - JeepForum.com
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
What oil do you use?

I have picked up a 76 cj5 with a 360 v8 in it.

Going to change the oil in it and a "hotrodder" suggested that if I wanted my engine to last for a long time I should use oils that are more old school and have sulfates in it then the new synthetic oils.

I was thinking not a bad idea but then I thought it may be "BS".

So what is your take on the subject?

Submariner and you wonder why I am this way LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 09:28 AM
Nor Cal CJ5

1972 CJ5 

Here's some good read on oil and it even gives determinations on what oil to use. I have no idea what will work for you. My recommendation would be to use an oil that meets the manufacturers API standards for your motor.

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013...-test-ranking/

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans
post #3 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 09:30 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Truth. The flat tappet cam needs the zinc that has been removed from the new oil. You can run an additive to make up for it, or you can buy oil that has zinc in it. Racing oil usually has the higher zinc content, but it is expensive. After an engine has been broke-in, it needs the zinc less than the initial startup.

I run Napa 10/40 oil and a pint of STP (for the zinc) in my 258.

I run Rotella 15/40 diesel oil with a pint of STP (for the Zinc content) and a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in my flat tappet cam Pontiac race engine.

Ill run Rotella 15/40 diesel oil and a pint of STP (for the zinc) in my new 4.0 based 4.7 Mopar inline six engine thats going in my CJ-7. Im not sure how it will affect the catalytic converter, but Ill find out.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile

post #4 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 09:34 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Everyone on this forum who sees this will give you different advice. If you use a quality oil that was in use at the time the engine was new you can't go wrong. I put a crate 258 engine in our 74. The paperwork that came with it said I could use any modern oil in either 30HD or 10W-30 weights. I use a 10W-30 blend of conventional and synthetic. I personally wouldn't use an oil designed for a diesel engine simply because it ain't a diesel. Others will disagree.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #5 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 09:46 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

i run a hotrod oil because it is actually the older specs from the late 80's when the oil had a higher level of dzzp. dzzp is zinc dialkyldithiophosphate. it leaves a sacrificial film on the cam lobes and lifters that wears instead of the part. if i dont use that then i add a bottle of dzzp to the dino oil that i am running. the goverment mandated dzzp to be reduced because it eventually clogs up the cats. todays specked oil has less then 1/3 of it then years ago. even todays diesel oil has less then half of what it did 20 years ago. that is part of the reason the big three started going to roller lifters. they knew without the dzzp in the oil the flat lifters will start spalling.

my philosophy is run the products that were used back when the vehicle was designed and made. new stuff is nice for new stuff but doesnt work the best for older stuff. example manual transmissions back then want gl4 gear oil. today its hard to find gl4. gl5 spec is used in rear axle with a posi without adding the additive. if you run that in a manual transmission it will ruin the brass synchros.

oldschool
uptillnow likes this.
post #6 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 10:44 AM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Similar to oldschool, I use the "hot rod" oil, or 4 stoke "motor cycle oil" for the higher level of ZDDP.
I have been using a 10W-30 Grp IV & Grp V synthetic from Red Line Oil Co. I have been known to add 4 oz of the 16 oz bottle of engine break in oil supplement from Red Line Oil Co. for the additional ZDDP protection. (without catalytic converter)

Like stated above, many use the diesel oil (CI-4 plus) for the higher ZDDP content without issues.

My $0.02 worth
UTN
Submariner likes this.
post #7 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 11:03 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

actually im glad this came up. i went in the garage and saw i only had one bottle of dzzp additive left. i checked amazon for some more and found a great price so ordered more. last time i paid 5 bucks a bottle for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rislone-4405-...66&sr=8-2&th=1

oldschool
Nor Cal CJ5 likes this.
post #8 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 12:30 PM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I use Valvoline VR1 10W-30 motor oil with a WIX 51258 oil filter in my 79 CJ5 304 V8. Runs fine.
RedNeckCorvette likes this.

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #9 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 12:33 PM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

YouTube Video on ZDDP in Motor Oil, why you may need it and where to get it.

Submariner likes this.

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #10 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 02:48 PM
Nor Cal CJ5

1972 CJ5 

How many here have used zinc and still wiped a cam lobe?

The author of the link in post #2 premise is:

The only thing that truly matters is an oils film strength load carrying capability, NOT merely how much zinc it has.

I know some may be suspect as zinc can't hurt (right?). But more important, the author is stating that the strength and tested quality of the oil to prevent wear first and foremost - is the key.
uptillnow and Submariner like this.

post #11 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 03:01 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I have never wiped a lobe. I have always have used some sort of zinc additive since the early 2000’s

Blame it on the internet.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #12 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 03:07 PM
Nor Cal CJ5

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
I have never wiped a lobe. I have always have used some sort of zinc additive since the early 2000s

Blame it on the internet.

And I just bought a case of zinc additive that oldschool recommended.

Yap, blame it on the internet!

post #13 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 03:13 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Valvoline VR1 is the only oil I've put in my 360, because of the high ZDDP content.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 03:40 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal CJ5 View Post
How many here have used zinc and still wiped a cam lobe?

The author of the link in post #2 premise is:

The only thing that truly matters is an oil’s film strength load carrying capability, NOT merely how much zinc it has.

I know some may be suspect as zinc can't hurt (right?). But more important, the author is stating that the strength and tested quality of the oil to prevent wear first and foremost - is the key.
I ran a Jobber machine shop for 10 years in the 70's and 80's.
I built a few engines in that 10 years, and had 4-6 NEW cam failures.

I believe it had to do more with the manufactures grind, ZDDP and the film strength.

Also, my cam "re-grinder" would grind a 2 degree taper in the lobe, and re-grind the NEW lifters to a 50" radius, I never had a re-grind go bad. see picture

I used Torco 20W-50 with MPZ (molybdenum, phosphorus, and zinc) and cam break in oil supplement on 90% of the engines I built.
Attached Images

post #15 of 47 Old 07-22-2020, 05:33 PM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

According to oil companies, they have replaced the zinc with moly, and is supposed to do the same thing protecting old and new engines.

I don't buy that, but I'm not an oil scientists, so I don't really know.
Instead, for the last 15 years, I've used whichever 'diesel oil' happens to be on sale.

All things being equal, the diesel oils have higher zinc, and detergents, and other additives that standard oil. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesnt. But that has worked for me
Submariner likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in