What to do with an old Jeep - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Kudzupatch

Question What to do with an old Jeep

Got to get rid of a (I think) late 50's or early 60's Jeep that belonged to my Father in law. Sold the house and have to clean it up QUICKLY!

It is rough! Sat outside for many years. Body has lots of rust so probably just looking at a new tub. Original 4 cylinder, almost positive it is a flat head but have to look. Very original and probably 90-95% original.

It is one of those 'it was running when parked' but has sat for 20 years so I assume motor is locked up. But all the running gear did work and is there. Who knows what shape it is in now.

I know nothing about old Jeep value and what is desirable. Muscle cars and street rods are more my thing. Will get some new photos but trying to decide if there is any value there or if it is scrap metal. Not trying to sell it here, just need to know if it scap or worth something to someone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 03:09 PM
cJAY904
1984 CJ7 

Start with photos. With no information, not sure anyone can lend any help.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Kudzupatch

Ran over and got some picks. It may be older than I was thinking, I have the info somewhere with the year. Here are some of the photos. As I said, it is rough.

Any info on this would be useful. If someone could use some of the parts I don't want to scrap it. I have restored enough old machines, boats and cars to know to ask first.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 06:53 PM
littleblackjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What to do with an old Jeep

Itís a Willyís CJ3A (because of the windshield) but may be a Ď46 CJ2A because of the grill. Itís worth $250-$500 in parts maybe more. If the frame is good and only needs floor pans may be worth rebuild.

Donít junk it.

Try these:

http://www.cj3a.info/cj3a/date3a.htm

http://www.cj3a.info/cj3a/m38cj3a.html

Double check here though as well, specifically the part about the wheel well length.

http://www.cj3a.info/cj3a/cj2acj3a.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'95 YJ
GM 350, SM420, NP231 SYE, Fnt. D60 SOA 4.10, Rr. D60 SOA 4.10 Detroit Locker, Fnt.Sus. N/A. Rr.Sus. XJ Springs, RuffStuff Wayback.
YJ Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-girlfriend-1327158/
post #5 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Kudzupatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblackjeep View Post
.....If the frame is good and only needs floor pans may be worth rebuild.
Have not looked under it but it spent most of it's life in the South so I suspect the frame is good. I will have to pull it out in the next couple of weeks and will get a good look once it is on the trailer.

Body is rough and doubt it is worth saving. Rusted out in a couple of places so I think you would be better off with a new tub. If it is worth restoring.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 09:25 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Just don't scrap it. Advertise - here in the classifieds, on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist.. they are getting harder to find, hate to see good parts go to waste!

May want to at least let people know where you are, too. Hard to sell something if nobody knows where you are.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 09:36 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I've dragged home worse!!!

It is all pre 1953. Looking at the L134 Go Devil engine it looks earlier than 1951. The windshield may even be an M38, you need to look behind and see if the ventilator is welded shut or adjustable. It may be a bitsa from a time from before bitsas, either way it will have lots of parts on it that you are not seeing and they are valuable parts such as transfer box, axles, transmission, frame etc. If they are Willys MB parts, collectors will pay good prices for the parts to get their rigs absolutely correct. In any case they are very hardy and the entire Jeep could be the basis of a trail rig, bet I coudl get it running in a day!!!!.

As said, pleas do not have it crushed.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 09:36 PM
littleblackjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looking closer at the pics. Itís a CJ3A if thatís the air filter in the bed the hard top may go with it too.

Get some pics of available Jeep numbers:
Anything on the firewall
Passenger side of engine block low by starter
Flat spot behind water pump
Carb bowl cover will ya e writing
Starter plates
Distributor plates

Put a classified on this one, CJ3A.com, sell a Jeep.com, no need for craigslist or eBay. People here will take it off your hands

'95 YJ
GM 350, SM420, NP231 SYE, Fnt. D60 SOA 4.10, Rr. D60 SOA 4.10 Detroit Locker, Fnt.Sus. N/A. Rr.Sus. XJ Springs, RuffStuff Wayback.
YJ Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-girlfriend-1327158/
post #9 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 09:49 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblackjeep View Post
Looking closer at the pics. It’s a CJ3A if that’s the air filter in the bed the hard top may go with it too.

Get some pics of available Jeep numbers:
Anything on the firewall
Passenger side of engine block low by starter
Flat spot behind water pump
Carb bowl cover will ya e writing
Starter plates
Distributor plates

Put a classified on this one, CJ3A.com, sell a Jeep.com, no need for craigslist or eBay. People here will take it off your hands

Well spotted, that does look like a 7" Donaldson oil bath filter in the back. Repros are $160 but I need parts from an original (my oil bath tray disappeared) to get mine right. $10 sitting there in the rain plus shipping, PM me if interested in selling it.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #10 of 17 Old 01-17-2020, 06:41 AM
Bmann412

Garage
What state are you located?

1998 TJ 5.9l
1978 CJ7 Renegade
2013 JK
post #11 of 17 Old 01-17-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Kudzupatch

Thanks for all the input. We have sold the house and I have to get it out of the yard by end of the month. Ken was a jack of all trades and a bit of collector. Lots of stuff to clean up so I am not going to have time to do any research on it now. Got to sort out the scrap and the stuff that has value and get it all hauled off.

Once we get the house cleaned up and last thing will be putting the Jeep on the trailer and hauling it home. I need the tailer to haul off scrap metal. Then I will have some time to dig into it to see what we have.

Sad it was let go like it was. He bought that thing in the 60's and it has a strong family history. My wife learned to drive in it. They took it camping a lot as kids. So the wife will be glad to hear it won't be scrapped out.

Once we get it home I will so some research and get back here and see if we can figure out what it is. Then figure out if I want to part it out or sell it whole.

THANK YOU!! Really appreciate the help and sure I will need more once we get it home.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-17-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Kudzupatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmann412 View Post
What state are you located?
North Alabama
post #13 of 17 Old 01-17-2020, 11:23 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

There's not a huge $$$ amount of value, but there is absolutely value in it vs. Scrapping it.

The big between jeeps and muscle cars (for example) is that the totally 'restored' version of that jeep is worth about $10-$12K at most, but would require about the same to get it in that shape.

However, many a jeep enthusiast would be willing to put in a few grand prize of materials but a ton of knowledge and sweat equity as a fun little project, so buying a rig like that for $500 and having $4K + time would be worthwhile for a guy who just wanted a 'driver'

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #14 of 17 Old 01-21-2020, 10:56 PM
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

Itís beautiful...

post #15 of 17 Old 01-22-2020, 01:10 AM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Dammm.....if you were closer I'd take it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in