What to do about possible leak from engine freeze plug? - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-22-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

What to do about possible leak from engine freeze plug?

Ok, I'm back again! I'll probably have more posts because I just got my CJ back from recent engine rebuild and swap.

So, this post is about a possible leak from the freeze plug closest to the rear of the block. Since getting the jeep back I always look over the engine for a while after driving it looking for leaks or anything else. This evening I noticed what looks like a little coolant leaking out from the freeze plug. Should I be concerned about this? If so, should I contact the guy who did the rebuild about it? I was told he was a reliable and came highly recommended. He is know for his work on race car engines.

I figured I'd start here asking you all first. There is an immeasurable amount of knowledge, expertise and experience here for free!

Here is a picture of the leak and plug....

Attached Thumbnails
BadFreezePlug.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-22-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

P.S. the picture may appear to be upside down.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-22-2019, 07:19 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Yes it needs to be fixed sooner than later. a reputable engine guy will have no problem popping out the plug and putting a new one in.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #4 of 20 Old 09-22-2019, 07:33 PM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Yes, I'd try to get that fixed with a new plug. It's an easy DIY but since it's freshly rebuilt, I'd contact the builder..

Just be glad it's not one on the rear of engine as that is a PITA to replace.

When I was younger, I thought I was Don Quixote... turns out I'm just another donkey-hootie.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-22-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

Yeah, I just researched (YouTube) how to replace one and the one that's leaking is fairly accessible. I may do it myself since the engine builder is almost an hour away. I just wonder why it began to leak? Maybe it just wasn't installed properly? I may try putting a large enough socket against the plug and tap it a bit, maybe it wasn't seated all the way in to the hole.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-22-2019, 07:53 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Although you are probably well aware, you should use sealant when installing core plugs to ensure they don't leak. I've read where a thin film of permatex form-a-gasket (or similar) should be used to ensure it's leak free. Regardless, it warrants investigation before going forward.

Hoov

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #7 of 20 Old 09-22-2019, 08:05 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

It may seal its self if it is given a little time.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-22-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

Thanks guys.
Hoov, I've seen recommendations so far for using a sealant and for not using a sealant when installing a new plug. Not sure which method is best, but if I had only to go on my instincts I would assume using a sealant to keep out liquid would be a good idea. Just a light bead of Permatex around the side of the plug wall.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-22-2019, 08:38 PM
RiverandSand
1980 CJ5 

Garage
From the pic, the freeze plug appears not to be seated fully. A couple of taps with right sized socket and a BFH should do the trick. If not replace it with a brass plug and sealant (I usually use 3m yellow sealant). Not sure why brass plugs weren't used in first place, steel will eventually rust out.
258 likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-22-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

Good point about the brass vs steel. Not sure why either.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-23-2019, 04:20 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncure View Post
P.S. the picture may appear to be upside down.
Fixed it for ya...

I see a mark in it looks like a socket or pipe was used to install it.
Looks like the installer could of used a little bit bigger socket to install it.
I would be worried about distorting it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 20 Old 09-23-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

Wow John, you worked some magic there, thanks! I see that too. If I can find something bigger than what he used, I'll try tapping it some more-that may help. If not, I'll just replace it. When replacing I would need to drain the coolant, right? And does everyone here agree that I should use some kind of sealant on the new plug to help keep it leak free?
post #13 of 20 Old 09-23-2019, 07:48 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Need to drain the coolant down to atleast below that freeze plug. Yes on a bit of sealant, smear it around the edges of the freeze plug then tap it in. Don't use a ton as it will either squeeze out or end up in the water jacket and you don't want it in the water jacket.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #14 of 20 Old 09-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncure View Post
I just wonder why it began to leak? Maybe it just wasn't installed properly?
Probably just an install problem, but it could be rusted a little in that area which makes it more challenging to get a good seal. As other's have said, a little sealant should help.

When I was younger, I thought I was Don Quixote... turns out I'm just another donkey-hootie.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-23-2019, 12:09 PM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverandSand View Post
From the pic, the freeze plug appears not to be seated fully. A couple of taps with right sized socket and a BFH should do the trick. If not replace it with a brass plug and sealant (I usually use 3m yellow sealant). Not sure why brass plugs weren't used in first place, steel will eventually rust out.
Joncure I would use a bigger socket, something close to tight and smack it once or twice just to change the seat. It may get better or it may get worse but it is worth a try if you will be changing it anyway.

RiverandSand - Joncure I think the answer as to why not brass? Is steel is a compatible metal, Brass is not, electrolysis will occur probably X2 due to water circulating in the block.
RN
uptillnow likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in