3Likes
  • 2 Post By TIPPEDITOVER
  • 1 Post By Cutlass327

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Smash289
1975 CJ5 

What to do...

So I'm new to the Jeep world and need a little or a lot of direction. I'm 54 and have a 20 year old that has decided its time to do a father/son project, so we bought a 75 CJ. Here is a list of "knowns." inline 6 rebuilt with 75 miles on it, 3 Spd trans rebuilt with same, decent doors & roof and good interior. Some gauges work, 4whl drive works, very little rust-NO rust through, mainly surface rust around window gasket but floor pans are good. Looks like frame had a different bumper set up possibly for winch. This assumption based on welds/plates/holes from where something was bolted on. Overall runs good, even though I hate the manual 3 speed and for some reason my belly is a little close to the steering wheel. But that would not have anything to do with my girlish figure or at least my wife says it doesn't. So the question is, for a nice looking mainly street ride with the occasional run through a little mud or sand, what should I do to make this a fun, good looking ride that in the end I can get a decent value for.
Lift and how much?
Tire size and kind?
Exterior add ons?
ETC...???

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE and I look forward to playing around with my son doing this build and being a future Jeep player.

-DB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-10-2019, 08:49 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

There is a trend today where people are "preserving the patina" and think that somehow ups the value of a classic vehicle. Hmmm, I wonder why homeowners don't "preserve the patina" on their houses in the same fashion? You could up the value of your home and not have to lift a finger. Genius. That trend needs to happen. I'm tired of home maintenance. I'd love to showcase my homes patina to potential home buyers and get paid more for my laziness.

Knowing what I know now after having to learn the hard way, I recommend having the entire body and all associated pieces sandblasted to bare metal. Or even hire one of those mobile dustless blasters to come to you and blast it on your property. Don't spend any of your precious time sanding on old paint/primer. There will be too much hidden rot, get it blasted. It will look more attractive to educated future buyers as well. Document everything you do with pictures.

Don't go bigger than 32" tires on a CJ-5
3.5" lift max
If this is going to be a mostly street driven CJ then don't put armor over the fresh paint
Low profile aftermarket suspension seats can help with the steering wheel to belly clearance, as can a smaller steering wheel and/or tilt column.

Keep it mostly stock looking. It will be worth more and be more attractive to everyone. CJ-5's have too short a wheelbase to be tackling the more hardcore off roading scene, so just preserve what there is and enjoy it for what it is.
Cutlass327 and KevinCJ7Jeep like this.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

The PO of mine put a smaller steering wheel on it to clear the "dad bod". If you are not afraid of metalworking, there are ways to notch the wheel house to move the seat back a little more. The only thing I have yet to do is find a tilt column (affordable) to help me fit better. I am 6'1" and 220lbs, so I needed the leg room more than belly room, but never know what the future holds for me...

As for mods, I always say run it as it sets, then when you see something 'lacking', upgrade. I ran stock height on 31s and loved it on mild trails and daily driving, but then I noted that the snow plow was making the front springs ride the frame 1/8" off the bump stops. Instead of stiffer springs, I added a 2,5" lift. I had a bearing failure damage the rear housing of the stock NT AMC20 axle, so now it has 86 WT D30/D44. Found a great deal on a used XRC8 winch. Put it on. I was wheeling it with the stock 258, sunk in mud, then the next week I noted low oil pressure at idle, I now have an 86 5.0HO Ford V8 in it. The 3spd lost 2nd gear, so I priced a rebuild and instead found a T177/D300 combo on Craigslist for the price of a rebuild (T150 needed gears too). I had 2 daughters, so now I have a YJ family style roll bar that I am looking to source some good 3 point seatbelts for. I have never built it with a plan. I built it as I found I needed something, as every "replacement" was also an "upgrade".
trailhead2004 likes this.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Tech Tim

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
If you are not afraid of metalworking, there are ways to notch the wheel house to move the seat back a little more. The only thing I have yet to do is find a tilt column (affordable) to help me fit better.
I second @Cutlass327 's suggestions, a little trimming at the fender well will allow the seat to go back and the tilt column let's you adjust the wheel to better fit your seating position!

2012 JKU - Just starting with the build.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

My PO lowered the point were the steering wheel goes through the firewall and it raised the steering wheel up an 1" or so.

Kinda makes fitting that Steering wheel cover to fit properly a bit difficult.

Would of been simpler to put in a tilt wheel.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #6 of 9 Old 04-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
My PO lowered the point were the steering wheel goes through the firewall and it raised the steering wheel up an 1" or so.

Kinda makes fitting that Steering wheel cover to fit properly a bit difficult.

Would of been simpler to put in a tilt wheel.

That would also lower the steering shaft a little, which may have cleared the P/S pump bracket when I did my swap... never thought of that.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #7 of 9 Old 04-10-2019, 11:31 AM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

Learned to drive at age 7 in a 1975 CJ5 in 1976. Had 7,000 miles on it. The thing traveled the country with my cousin who was in the Air Force. Then it was rear ended by a Semi Truck...new tub put on and then given to my Uncle that drove it until I was 16 and then I drove it through high school. In college I bought the 84 CJ7 I still have and gave my Uncle back his Jeep. Shortly before he died years later, I helped sell it to a doctor that had had one once and he restored it. Though he left off the Renegade stripe package he kept it original.....they are hard to find original.....I recommend keeping it that way or close to it as you won't spend as much and buyers are moving back toward the old school original CJs and it has been trending that way for awhile and will from now on as they are just rare. Most are carved up, beat up, torn up, rusted out or after market show rooms on wheels....here is mine once the doctor restored it.
Attached Images

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #8 of 9 Old 04-10-2019, 02:04 PM
MrButterfield

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Sounds like you have a fun project ahead of you.

I bought my Jeep from under some guys tree. It had been sitting there for quite some time. There were some things done to it that Im not fond of like a very cheap suspension lift. My jeep rides like a barrel tumbling down a hill. There's also the "convicts getaway steering wheel" (so small you can steer with both hands while in handcuffs) which Im assuming was put on to address his girlish figure. Things like that which have taken time to do over the course of ownership. But once I had it running, I drove it for a little bit before I came up with conclusions of what needed to be done and its been a slow trickle of changes since. Moral of the story, maybe get it running and go on a father son fishing trip in it. You'll come back with 1000 more ideas than staring at it in a garage. And if you're lucky, some fish!

A note on the 3 speed, I have the T-18 4 speed. Around town I never use 1st unless I start off on a steep hill or I'm doing some light wheeling. Its just so low. BUT... I probably wouldn't trade it for a 3 speed.

Do you by chance have any photos? They always help.
Attached Thumbnails
20181106_085922.jpg  
post #9 of 9 Old 04-14-2019, 06:41 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

With a 16 year old as a future driver leave it at stock height. The short wheel based CJ5 is unstable as is and lifting it will make it worse.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in