Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your CJ today?

3M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  rixcj 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was floating around in the TJ forum when I was down there......so I'm stealing it.....

What did you do to your CJ today?

#22 ·
This month:

Replaced Valve springs and Valve seals
Replaced tranny mount/torque arm
Changed oil, replaced leaky oil filter
Added full CD Player/4 speaker stereo system
Fixed Horn
Replaced Power Valve in Carb

PASSED STATE INSPECTION!!!! :2thumbsup:

Left to do (this month):

Replace Engine Mounts
Change out oil pan gasket
Figure out what that popping sound is :confused:

#26 ·
Looked at mine this morning. Thought I should take the day off and do some work on it, get the frame ready and figure out my gears and tranny swap I have been putting off. Then took a long hard look at the black oil under the rear pumpkin and then a closer look at how caved in the cover was. Never let your friend's friend move your Jeep even in good faith when you are trying to unstuck some idiot. :D Off to work I went, now I am going to put together a nice repair bill for dummy1 and dummy 2.

#27 ·
Looked at the cut wires to my wiper motor and said to my self, self, it's cold outside I'll take care of this later this week...

I like to procrastinate a little, but I'll have to tell you more about that another day.

#30 ·
nothing today. But last night Backed it off from a truck onto a six foot high snow bank and then dug it out. tires ended up being a foot off the ground. Didn't have a ramp to unload the jeep at after making the move to Maine from TN

#31 ·
I looked at it...twice.

I saw it as I walked into the house, and saw it as I walked out. I haven't even driven it for a month. There's just hasn't been enough time in the day.

A week ago, I bolted on new interior door handles, and a new wiper switch knob, so it's not being completely ignored.

I also bought some new metal Blitz gas cans.

This summer i'm Rhino lining the tub & hard top, installing a new steering wheel, and maybe 1 piece axles.

#32 ·
It's at my buddies house. I've been thinkin happy thoughts about it. Buying almost a thousand in parts. New front clip, wiring harness, Custom offroading dash.

I also am going to rent a sandblaster and eventually buy painting supplies, and about 78 lbs of kitty hair bondo and fiberglass.

#33 ·
i drove to school and back with the top off...

and parked on the snowbank :D

good thread woody :thumbsup:

i was gonna start it, but i was scared.... :laugh:

#36 ·
I contemplated about when I was going to decide to actually start ordering parts for mine. I added up some prices, shuddered, and decided to wait a couple more days, since my b-day is coming up soon, hopefully the wife won't freak out too much about the bill.
Just to get it moving again would take 4 new tires, 4 new shocks, a total brake job, new steering column, tune-up, fix the intake manifold leak in the back of the engine(which of course means installing the Edelbrock 4-bbl and carb i have sitting on a shelf, and ordering a new cam, lifters, and pushrods), a new battery tray and get my driveshaft redone with a CV or double cardan joint (or whatever it is that I forgot the name of). Then come the little things, like a replacement top, steering wheel, seats and belts, etc..
I did hook up the battery again just to start it up and check some header temperatures though.
The saga continues, in perpetuity...

#37 ·
I'm actually in the middle of replacing some floor rust in my CJ5. Probably about one more day of cutting/welding. Then, I plan to spray in Herc. After that, I'll bend up a full cage, mount my new (used but new to me) seats and do some harnesses. After that, I'll toss the D44 (that's scattered around my shed floor) under the front and put an ARB or Detroit in that. Last thing is to make a front driveshaft and maybe a spare rear shaft.. that should be it for now.

#38 ·
Got parts today to continue my poormans rust-toration. Getting ready to pull front end apart to replace all original bushes and such. Clean up the paint on the rails and underbody. I'll start when my doctor release me from post-op appt. I hope soon. Sucks! Been home for close to two months from work and I can't even do any projects around here!

#40 ·
Installed the rear drive shaft and transfer case shift lever. Installed the inspection plate for the transmission/transfer case. Did some tuning on the carburator. Trying to get the warm/cold idle set. Took it for a ride around the neighborhood after dark because I have no tags or inspection sticker on it. Then I remembered I haven't installed the brake light switch yet. Couldn't figure out why people were on my rear so much when approaching a stop sign or corner I wanted to turn at.