LinkBack Thread Tools
post #26191 of 26350 Old 07-13-2020, 03:11 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
bob4703,

OK Mr. John

What sorta heater are you sticking in the '76???

----JEEPFELLER
Who Me?

A complete system out of an 84 CJ7.

img_0761.jpg

img_0768.jpg

Just a little modification to the glove box:

img_0769.jpg

Biggest problem was enlarging the fresh air intake. The 84 had rolled over edges to help direct the
flow of water. I'm depending upon the grill to do that.

The heater box didn't fit this time because I flipped the bolts for the battery shelf around and the heater box couldn't sit flush with the fire wall because the bolts were too long. .
I flipped the bolts around and fit perfectly.

Parts are easier to get for the heater and the heat output with the Blower upgrade can't be beat.

RedNeckCorvette likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26192 of 26350 Old 07-13-2020, 04:06 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Discovered this little mod the PO did when installing the wipers.
Thatís not a bad idea. I would use larger & thinner flat washers, but what you have is definitely better than none. Rough & clean the surfaces and install them wet with structural adhesive on a good (Undamaged) windshield frame, and that would be a great prevention strategy against the dreaded WW Shaft jam/bend.
gr8dain likes this.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #26193 of 26350 Old 07-13-2020, 05:51 PM
gr8dain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
Thatís not a bad idea. I would use larger & thinner flat washers, but what you have is definitely better than none. Rough & clean the surfaces and install them wet with structural adhesive on a good (Undamaged) windshield frame, and that would be a great prevention strategy against the dreaded WW Shaft jam/bend.

That is what I was thinking. There was a reason the PO did it. I have seen it done many times. I switched mine out for YJ wipers and linkage. The crown ones would bind and bend.

post #26194 of 26350 Old 07-13-2020, 07:15 PM
1985 CJ7 

Cj Before and After

Found an image of my Jeep when I first got it. It's come a long way but has more to go! Here's a AFTER and BEFORE picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep_Before and After.jpg  
STJP and DV915 like this.
post #26195 of 26350 Old 07-13-2020, 08:02 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8dain View Post
That is what I was thinking. There was a reason the PO did it. I have seen it done many times. I switched mine out for YJ wipers and linkage. The crown ones would bind and bend.
Found another one with a thinner washer.

Looks like I'll be taking the mechanism apart again.

One with the washer is the driver side but I didn't think the passenger side comes apart..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0262.jpg   IMG_0261.jpg  

post #26196 of 26350 Old 07-13-2020, 08:12 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Took apart the YJ tilt steering column and a CJ tilt column tonight.

Was pleased to find the shafts are the same length.

img_0260.jpg

img_0259.jpg

Was surprised to find these 4 bolts loose in the CJ steering column.

img_0240.jpg

I gutted the CJ column because it was for an automatic

Needed to swap shafts because the YJ has a "D" end and the CJ needs a splined end.

post #26197 of 26350 Old 07-13-2020, 09:04 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
My really crappy ole '77 to a '82

Never ever gotta pull the dash to deal with the heater core or the fan (now has the fat motor)

Snatch the ole battery tray and wah-lah, you are in!

I showed bob4703 this the other evening

Thoughts on the access holes?

-----JEEPFELLER

Trivia question in PIC 3----What is the yeller do-ma-flickee? Why did I put it there?
Attached Thumbnails
YES A LITTLE PAINT WONT HURT THE BATT TRAY EITHER.jpg   WAH---LAH AINT THAT PERTTY.jpg   THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT EZ ACCESS.jpg   NO CUTTY HEATER JUST FIREWALL TO GET IT OUT EZer THAN PULLING WHOLE HEATER.jpg  
post #26198 of 26350 Old 07-13-2020, 09:19 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
My really crappy ole '77 to a '82

Never ever gotta pull the dash to deal with the heater core or the fan (now has the fat motor)

Snatch the ole battery tray and wah-lah, you are in!

I showed bob4703 this the other evening

Thoughts on the access holes?

-----JEEPFELLER

Trivia question in PIC 3----What is the yeller do-ma-flickee? Why did I put it there?
How did you cut the heater box to access the heater core that way?
Otherwise pretty cool but I can take the heater box out in about 10 min now.

That yaller is a purge for the oil pressure line? To get out any trapped air in the line.
Or is that a Shrader valve so you can put another gauge on there. ?
A way to pre lube the oil passages without starting the engine?
Maybe a quick way to get a sample of oil without draining all of it.?
You can hook a spray gun up to it to spray the underside of the Jeep to keep it from rusting?

post #26199 of 26350 Old 07-13-2020, 10:31 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
3 grand youngins in Willy

Really hot out.

Windshield is down.

Headed for ice creams!

Yeller thingee hangs on copper oil pressure gauge line (also sleeved in 1/4 fuel line).

Carefully routed to avoid vibration.

Yeller dealee is a vacuum cap over a plug (plug is drilled at the hex on an angle to dangle it from a teeny piece of safety wire).

Oil and tools on board !

I have usually always caught my copper oil lines leaking or spewing oil before I lost all of the juice (smell, smoke, sight).

Never had a quick fix for it, always had to go on a hunt, no more! It's right there if I need it to plug it right there at the block.

So this mod is about 20 years old.

As far as the core, I used a cutter wheel on my grinder and the same on a dremel.

Transferring the lines/ marks took me the longest for each of my cuts.

I have really dense foam insert between my access plate and the chunk of heater box (Plate still hooked to the core) which holds/ forces the chunk back into it's place in the heater box.

Since then, I had an Army pal want the layout, once again I had to lay it all back out for him. Thank goodness all I had to do was measure using known points (anchor studs). The heater motor only required using a "scribing" (flat sided compass) to sorta circle the motor)

Most of this is just going through the motions to show my pal. (He sorta did the suicide thing w/ a 9mm--VA prescribed drugs and heavy drinking--I miss him a bunch.)

No! --- You cannot have my homemade monster dividers/ compass!

Each point (of the shape) is plotted from 2 to 3 different points to get the "set point"---connect the dots after that.

The heater box cut out, (I cut it way on back there when the heater was out) But for my pals benefit, I think that in pic 8, the dotted line represents the actual Firewall hole and 5/8 inward (all the way around) from that is the actual heater box cut out.

Pics follow!

---JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
20200712_182740.jpg   FIREWALL ACCESS CUTOUTS TO HEATER COMPONENTS 007.jpg   FIREWALL ACCESS CUTOUTS TO HEATER COMPONENTS 012.jpg   FIREWALL ACCESS CUTOUTS TO HEATER COMPONENTS 016.jpg   FIREWALL ACCESS CUTOUTS TO HEATER COMPONENTS 020.jpg  

FIREWALL ACCESS CUTOUTS TO HEATER COMPONENTS 023.jpg   FIREWALL ACCESS CUTOUTS TO HEATER COMPONENTS 019.jpg   FIREWALL ACCESS CUTOUTS TO HEATER COMPONENTS 030.jpg   FIREWALL ACCESS CUTOUTS TO HEATER COMPONENTS 033.jpg  
post #26200 of 26350 Old 07-13-2020, 10:34 PM
Nor Cal CJ5

What's next?

I did nothing to my jeep today but order some parts. I did work on it yesterday, getting it closer to having it running. I have been rebuilding the steering, motor, etc. a weekend here and there at a time for the last 6 months. Here are some pictures.

Lots of help here on Jeep Forum - Thank you!

It all started with a noisy water pump last summer and it took me a while to figure out that I have the short water pump only offered in the V-8 Jeep in 1972. I pulled the Jeep in the garage thinking I would replace the water pump in a day - So sorry about all the dirt! If I knew I was going this far, I would have given it a good wash (everywhere) before doing all this work. After 48 years, it was time for some major maintenance. One thing always leads to another...

What's next is Brakes! Then ball joints & U-joints, Hub, axle, trans, and transfer case service. Oh and then maybe some Julep Green Metallic paint, seat upholstery and new rims/tires. All for +-200 miles a year for hunting. Hoping it will last another 40+ years when done.

My Dad bought the jeep in 1978 with 47,000 miles on it, 57,000 original miles now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5048.jpg   IMG_6043.jpg   IMG_6069.jpg   IMG_6654.jpg   IMG_6832.jpg  

IMG_6840.jpg   IMG_7084.jpg   IMG_7119.jpg   IMG_7604.jpg   IMG_7769.jpg  

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans
post #26201 of 26350 Old 07-14-2020, 06:16 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

No words can describe what SOMEONE ELSE did to my beloved CJ-7 today....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #26202 of 26350 Old 07-14-2020, 06:29 AM
gr8dain

That sucks
post #26203 of 26350 Old 07-14-2020, 06:30 AM
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Damn that sucks. Red light runner?

It used to be, God bless America, it has become God help America
post #26204 of 26350 Old 07-14-2020, 06:47 AM
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Putting the exhaust manifold back on the 360 v8 and with the last stud torqing it down snapped it off. of course it is next to the firewall and today I will pull the heads off. I all ready have the intake off to replace the cam.

It was a new stud from NAPA. I had replaced all 8 studs with ones that were 1/4" longer for better thread engagement. I think I will be taking them all out now and getting better ones from somewhere else.

Submariner and you wonder why I am this way LOL
post #26205 of 26350 Old 07-14-2020, 06:49 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post

Reminds me of the time I did my first restore on my CJ-5. I was going down the road about 50 mph and a deer decides to jump across the road. My hood was folded in half with the grill and radiator laying on top of the engine and both front fenders laying in the road.

I'm glad you're OK, but what hit you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in