What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 1734 - JeepForum.com
 2925Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #25996 of 26014 Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM
1977CJ

Painted my bumpers and tried to figure out how the heck to get my factory ‚Äė77 tach to work with my hei/tbi set up on the old 304.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25997 of 26014 Old Yesterday, 05:54 AM
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbar View Post

So I went and got me a decent regulator w/gauges for my welder since the Lincoln Handy Mig (recommended by several people here, iirc) doesn't come with one, and proceeded to get familiar with welding again (I'm a total n00b). And apparently my wire is all corroded & has a dull & dusty/rusty layer on it and it won't feed reliably through the gun (it appears to slip at the roller). The rollers all have this orange dust on them now too. So I guess I'm off to Harbor Freight in the morning to buy a new spool. FWIW, this was the wire that came with the welder, so it's been sitting for at least 2 years.

Questions:
(1) has anybody else experienced their welding wire oxidizing or whatever & had a problem feeding as a result?
(2) if you don't plan on welding for a good while, what precautions should you take to ensure it doesn't happen again?
(3) are my feed problems even related to this?

I use 30 lb. spools of mig wire and they don't rust or oxidize. Several reasons why...first, better brands of wire have a better protective coating on them, and secondly, my garage is heated, so it doesn't get damp.

So, what you can do to "prolong" the life of your wire after welding, is to take the spool off of the wire feeder and put it in a plastic bag along with some silica packets. You could also keep it in the house, somewhere.

Rich
zarnold likes this.

'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
post #25998 of 26014 Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM
87MJTim

1987 MJ Comanche 

New tires all around - 5. I bought the CJ 5 years ago. It had a mix of tires: 3 Firestones, 2 Michelins. One of the tires picked up a nail. I checked the age of the tire (and the others). Two tires were 19 yrs. old (Michelin). Those were the youngest. The others were manufactured in 1994 and 1996.

Time to get new tires.

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.0 (93 XJ) AX15 (Formerly T5)

post #25999 of 26014 Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Mostly all I do with my CJ-7 is drive it, and put oil & gas in it.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #26000 of 26014 Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Iím really close to swapping engines. Iíve been putting this together since last fall, and it is ready to go now. Itís a 4.7 liter from a mix of parts, and Iíll use a 1995 harness & ECM to make it all work.
Attached Thumbnails
8ACAD1ED-5110-4DE9-A91A-E9C9485CB857.jpg  
Jim1611 likes this.

post #26001 of 26014 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
gr8dain

What did you do to your CJ today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
Iím really close to swapping engines. Iíve been putting this together since last fall, and it is ready to go now. Itís a 4.7 liter from a mix of parts, and Iíll use a 1995 harness & ECM to make it all work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post

Very nice. You are a lot further along than me. I have a 98 4.0 going into mine. I did not make it a stroker. But I like yout choice of color
post #26002 of 26014 Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I have decided any engine that goes in my 1985 CJ-7 will be painted AMC blue. And any engine going in my CJ-7 will most likely will be an AMC engine, or in the case of my 4.7, it will be a hybrid of sorts with a Jeep/Mopar pedigree. I can’t wait to have the MPFI smoothness and throttle response the 4.0 is known for, and more power is alway a good thing.

Oh yeah, nice engine and color choice...it looks good!

post #26003 of 26014 Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
gr8dain

Thanks. And yeah, it is a fun mix of various Jeep parts to get it to work in a CJ.
post #26004 of 26014 Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
hbar
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
I use 30 lb. spools of mig wire and they don't rust or oxidize. Several reasons why...first, better brands of wire have a better protective coating on them, and secondly, my garage is heated, so it doesn't get damp.

So, what you can do to "prolong" the life of your wire after welding, is to take the spool off of the wire feeder and put it in a plastic bag along with some silica packets. You could also keep it in the house, somewhere.

Rich
Thanks, I had no idea it was even a concern. Bought a new spool of wire this morning, compressed air thorough the liner, and BAM back in business. Practiced a bunch on scrap metal, and I still suck. But I was able to stitch up the exhaust on my friends XJ, which was the initial motivation behind all this welding talk in the first place.

When you. take off your spool, do you. just sacrifice whatever wire is in the line, or do you wind it back off? And how roughly how long is the timeframe when you should consider doing such a thing? If I'm welding again tomorrow, obviously leave it, but what about if I won't touch it for a week? I don't see a ton of talk (any, actually) on this sort of preventative maintenance.
post #26005 of 26014 Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
littleblackjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Finished the 258 ó> 4.0HO swap!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim1611 likes this.

'95 YJ
GM 350, SM420, NP231 SYE, Fnt. D60 SOA 4.10, Rr. D60 SOA 4.10 Detroit Locker, Fnt.Sus. N/A. Rr.Sus. XJ Springs, RuffStuff Wayback.
YJ Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-girlfriend-1327158/
post #26006 of 26014 Old Today, 04:14 AM
gr8dain

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblackjeep View Post
Finished the 258 ó> 4.0HO swap!!!!!

Awesome. I had no idea it was happening for so many of us. Beautiful Scrambler by the way.
post #26007 of 26014 Old Today, 05:17 AM
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbar View Post
Thanks, I had no idea it was even a concern. Bought a new spool of wire this morning, compressed air thorough the liner, and BAM back in business. Practiced a bunch on scrap metal, and I still suck. But I was able to stitch up the exhaust on my friends XJ, which was the initial motivation behind all this welding talk in the first place.

When you. take off your spool, do you. just sacrifice whatever wire is in the line, or do you wind it back off? And how roughly how long is the timeframe when you should consider doing such a thing? If I'm welding again tomorrow, obviously leave it, but what about if I won't touch it for a week? I don't see a ton of talk (any, actually) on this sort of preventative maintenance.

Welding is a trade.There are multi-year apprenticeships for it. So, when you say that you suck, you just haven't done enough of it. I took drum lessons for years and practiced, and I still suck, and I'm 65!!

My point is, is that it takes a lot of practice to get good, but more importantly, is to have someone show you the right way. Sure, some people can "figure it out", but there's a lot going on inside that arc, and the base metal when you're welding. I am a welding instructor...I qualify nuclear pipe welders, hence the long speech...

I roll back the wire from the gun back onto the spool. You'd have to pull out the cut piece anyway, so it's just as easy to roll it back.

As far as how often to remove the spool, it mostly depends on moisture. I would say that leaving the wire in the wire feeder for a week or so would be ok. Like I said, my wire is my machine for years sometimes, but my shop is heated, never gets below 55 degrees and is insulated.

You could do an experiment. Cut off a piece of wire from the spool ( a few feet long), and leave it somewhere near the welding machine. Now you can see how long it takes for that piece of wire to rust up.

I'll shut up now....

Rich

'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
post #26008 of 26014 Old Today, 07:00 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Welding is a trade.There are multi-year apprenticeships for it. So, when you say that you suck, you just haven't done enough of it. I took drum lessons for years and practiced, and I still suck, and I'm 65!!

My point is, is that it takes a lot of practice to get good, but more importantly, is to have someone show you the right way. Sure, some people can "figure it out", but there's a lot going on inside that arc, and the base metal when you're welding. I am a welding instructor...I qualify nuclear pipe welders, hence the long speech...

I roll back the wire from the gun back onto the spool. You'd have to pull out the cut piece anyway, so it's just as easy to roll it back.

As far as how often to remove the spool, it mostly depends on moisture. I would say that leaving the wire in the wire feeder for a week or so would be ok. Like I said, my wire is my machine for years sometimes, but my shop is heated, never gets below 55 degrees and is insulated.

You could do an experiment. Cut off a piece of wire from the spool ( a few feet long), and leave it somewhere near the welding machine. Now you can see how long it takes for that piece of wire to rust up.

I'll shut up now....

Rich
If you suck at welding then the rest of us might as well hang it up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26009 of 26014 Old Today, 07:53 AM
CraneOperator75

Hey guys, Gregg in Houston. Bought my first jeep, a 82’ CJ7, 258 Automatic. Learning as I go, Im doing about a 70% rebuild. Both axles came out, wire wheeled tub, and just about everything else and painted. Rebuilt Dana 30, Brakes front and rear, adding a 4” lift and shocks. But today it was the front brakes, bearings etc
Attached Thumbnails
4E49B444-12B2-4C16-9213-E13F6395BBC4_1590328349238.jpg  
4riley4 likes this.
post #26010 of 26014 Old Today, 09:45 AM
littleblackjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8dain View Post
Awesome. I had no idea it was happening for so many of us. Beautiful Scrambler by the way.

Thanks work in progress.

Recap: Original 258 engine had the crankcase breather hooked up to vacuum on the intake and had so much blow by that it was blowing oil into the carb. I directed that to a stand-alone breather mounted to the firewall and trap that also quickly filled with oil and filled the cab with smoke.
On a whim, I noticed that the heater core wasnít hooked up, after hooking up I determined there was a leak.
I did the blazer heather motor swap, and replaced the core.
Having the dash off I realized that the various POs did some terrible things when it came to wiring... fixed a lot of it and added the KC front lights, built the stock style harness and found a stock fog switch for the dash. Replaced headlight switch and all heater vent controls. Did heater box resto also.
At that point a 97 XJ fell in my lap and the swap was on.
- Engine, ECM, PCM, harness from Ď97 XJ
- PCM mount from YJ and grafted to CJ batt tray
- Novak pump, sender, filter, return
- HESCO CPS and harmonic balancer
- Flex-a-lite dual electric fans for a CJ
- MORE motor mounts
- Banks 4.0 header
- Flowmaster and 2.5Ē custom exhaust
- ACT clutch for a 4.0
- HESCO pilot bushing for 4.0 and CJ
- Novak hyd clutch conversion 7/8 slave and 7/8 Wilwood master
- YJ brake power booster
- custom hyd. lines to adapt XJ power steering to CJ steering box
- Pioneer stereo, Kicker in dash, select increments centra pod with kicker and intra pod with kicker sub

Still need to tweak the fuel and temp gauges to get consistent readings and adapt the XJ a/c to CJ lines. But itís running and driving!

'95 YJ
GM 350, SM420, NP231 SYE, Fnt. D60 SOA 4.10, Rr. D60 SOA 4.10 Detroit Locker, Fnt.Sus. N/A. Rr.Sus. XJ Springs, RuffStuff Wayback.
YJ Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-girlfriend-1327158/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in