What are the best cooling fans for a cj8 with a 304 - JeepForum.com
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 04-07-2020, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Anderscj8

Garage
What are the best cooling fans for a cj8 with a 304

Im looking to install fans on the radiator of my cj8, what brand is best and works the most effectively. The car is daily driven and run off road in the arizona summer heat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 04-07-2020, 01:52 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Take a look at Ford Contour dual fan off of a V6 vehicle. You have to do a little work to mount it but the size is as if Ford made it to fit a Jeep CJ7.

Do a search as there are many threads.

Here is one that shows how well the fan fits the stock Jeep radiator. I ended up installing an aluminum radiator and now I do not have any gap between the radiator and the shroud. It was never a problem for cooling anyway. I built my brackets for the aftermarket aluminum radiator that I was planning to install.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/b...r-fan-3780385/
Cutlass327 likes this.
post #3 of 54 Old 04-07-2020, 05:17 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
A big X2 on that Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique double fan setup! Here's a few pics of my install on my '78 CJ5;

What was on it

...and a lucky find in the wrecking yard, it was cached in the trunk of a Mercury Mystique it came from

it cleaned up rather nicely and I made sure to get all of the wiring so that it'd be easier to set up controls.

The fit was perfect save for the bottom left that I adeapted.

and the mounting adapter;

To control it all I used a pair of these thread in Hayden fan controllers;

I also ran a Ford underhood PDB so I could fuse and relay all of the electrics for this, and all of my lights. I have the part nos. somewhere if you get going on this project.
CJWoodman likes this.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area

post #4 of 54 Old 04-07-2020, 06:01 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

X3

I have the same fans keeping my 5.0HO swap cool. I was able to use a temp switch to control relays - one 40A for each fan speed. I went with 40A just for the margin of overkill...

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 54 Old 04-07-2020, 11:16 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
I'm hip about that Cutlass, I was fretting over startup amp draw, and there was a couple of folks mentioning that the 70 amp relay as part of the factory setup, but when I wired in a pair of 40's they work just fine.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
post #6 of 54 Old 04-07-2020, 11:23 PM
CSP

Stock, engine driven clutch fan with a shroud with the depth of the fan halfway into the shroud and halfway out.
post #7 of 54 Old 04-08-2020, 12:09 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

As said above the Mercury Mystique has the same fan in the V6 application. The Mystique was Mercury's version of the Ford Contour. 90% the same car.

If you look up Volvo fan relay you will see that lots of electric fan conversions are done using it.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ta...ay-how-214815/

It actually has 3 relays in one little package. It is very important to remove power from the low speed windings when the high speed windings are powered. The Volvo relay does this for you. When you power the high speed side of the relay, it disconnects the internal low speed contacts. Nice feature in a neat little package.
post #8 of 54 Old 04-08-2020, 05:12 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

A little side note before you do the fan swap. I'm assuming you are trying to fix an overheating issue......

Be sure your thermostat is in and operational. Oddly, going a bit higher in the temp range will net you a bit more cooling.
Insure your radiator cap is good and holding pressure.
Check for the spring in the lower radiator hose.
Might not be a bad time to have the radiator backflushed to clear any debris that may have kicked up out of the block over the years.
I would also say insure your shroud is intact and in place and your fan is large enough, but you're replacing them.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #9 of 54 Old 04-08-2020, 07:44 AM
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Though going electric is fairly straightforward, if you have space for it, nothing can compete with a properly shrouded mechanical fan with thermal viscous clutch in terms of max cooling capacity. You live in Arizona, so your cooling needs are demanding. A properly shrouded mechanical fan moves more air than even the most aggressive electric fans on the market. I've run both and I've always had better results with a mechanical setup. Of course everything I just said is a mute point if you don't have room for a mechanical fan.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 54 Old 04-08-2020, 11:55 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Tipped is definitely in the minority going back to a mechanical fan. It works for him but most go in the other direction and never look back. Almost all factory setups, even in very high performance applications, now run electric fans. Some applications even run hydraulic fans as they are easily able to control the speed on demand.

Tipped by his own admission had wiring issues at least in one application and had fan failures. The Contour setup has two fans so unless both go out at the same time, you can get back from a trip without too much problem. The Contour fan is a Ford factory fan and is a very high quality unit. Some say it is better quality than many aftermarket fans. My contour fan has probably gone into high speed only a couple of times for a very short period of time on a 110 degree day while sitting in traffic for 10 minutes. I was more worried about me having heat stroke than I was about any potential heating issues with the motor. If you do not wire something properly and use it hard, you could have problems. All the wiring connections in my Jeep that I put in or fix is soldered and heat shrinked with marine heat shrink tubing. Relays have to be oriented so that if they get wet, they do not hold water. With a EFI motor (in my case a Mustang 5.0) if the wiring is not properly protected from the elements and heat, the motor is going to have problems. Same for an electric fan.

I used a Dakota Digital fan controller paired with a Volvo relay pack. It uses a VDO temperature sender and you can adjust the on and off speed for both high and low on the fan. With the setup I have the motor runs right around 192 degrees on a Autometer digital gauge. I get maybe 5 degrees variance. The high speed for the fans is set to 205 degrees and high turns off at 195 degrees. Electric fans man not work for everyone but they work extremely well for most. Getting rid of my stock Mustang mechanical fan was a great improvement. It made a lot of wind noise at low speed when outside temperatures were hot outside. I could feel the power increase off idle when I switched to the electric fan. You do need a good alternator when you run a big electric fan(s). In my Ford motor application, I upgraded to a 3G Ford alternator first in anticipation of the electric fan conversion. Your install has to include quality relays. You do not want to run high current through any of the mechanical temperature switches or you will quickly have problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
Though going electric is fairly straightforward, if you have space for it, nothing can compete with a properly shrouded mechanical fan with thermal viscous clutch in terms of max cooling capacity. You live in Arizona, so your cooling needs are demanding. A properly shrouded mechanical fan moves more air than even the most aggressive electric fans on the market. I've run both and I've always had better results with a mechanical setup. Of course everything I just said is a mute point if you don't have room for a mechanical fan.
post #11 of 54 Old 04-08-2020, 12:28 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Another thing to think about is when you run a mechanical fan without a shroud, you are pulling some air though the majority of the radiator. It is not ideal, but the fan moves the air and it is pulled though most of the radiator although not as much air is moved as would be if you had properly designed shroud. When you run a proper shroud, it drastically improves the efficiency.

When people buy a generic electric aftermarket fan, the fans usually do not fit the radiator well. The fan is pressed up against the fins and if you are using a round electric fan, only the area of the radiator covered by the fan has airflow that is controlled by the fan. There is no suction on the rest of the radiator. Maybe as little as 40% of the radiator has cooling from the fan when such a fan is used. When you use an electric fan setup that has a proper shroud that fits the particular application you now have the electric fan(s) drawing air thought the entire radiator like a properly designed mechanical fan and shroud setup does. What I am saying is that some people slap a cheap aftermarket generic round fan on their radiator and wonder why it does not preform well.
post #12 of 54 Old 04-08-2020, 02:57 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
I always thought that air would take the path of least resistance, like around the radiator core and the non shrouded fan's influence would be minimal. Perhaps then my fan is overkill. Granted, BB and I don't live in Arizona, but in our case the fan provided by the previous Owner wasn't doing the job. Since it'd already gone electric, I went with it when I did my Mystique fan. In the period since that project, I've not had a single failure yet. As it turned out I sharpened my soldering skills and learned how these things are controlled. That may sound backward, but with the self contained gear being more plug and play, these skills would be invalid for future projects down the road.

post #13 of 54 Old 04-08-2020, 11:41 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
Tipped is demenitly in the minority going back to a mechanical fan.
I gotta agree with TIPPED. While electric fans are more efficient, can be controlled from the cab, and drop parasitic drag, a solid fan will consistently pull more air all the time over the entire RPM range.

When I was doing a partial build on my CJ, I installed a direct drive 7 bladed fan off a mid 70's F350. It will pull at my coveralls at idle when I stand in front of the grill and will pull the shirt off a cheerleader when the RPM's rise. It is notably overkill since I have never had overheating issues with the stock fan but I would stand it against any other setup for total CFM air flow at any speed above idle.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #14 of 54 Old 04-09-2020, 03:01 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I never had an overheating problem with my Mustang 5.0 EFI swap either but the stock clutch fan made a lot of noise when it was engaged and pulling hard. My F350 does the same thing but it is a diesel so noise does not really matter with it. The 5.0 Jeep swap did not have a shroud and I wanted a cleaner setup. The fact is that 99 percent of the people on this forum could cool their motor properly and efficiently with a Ford Contour fan.

I did meet a guy once who had a Ranchero and he claimed he needed both a mechanical fan and an electric fan running at the same time to keep the 351 motor cool. I still say he must have had something else wrong with the cooling system for it to run that hot.

In another thread, Tipped said he had his electric fan not coming on when it was suppose to so he was done with them and went back to a mechanical. Not coming on is different from not cooling properly when it is running. I have seen clutch fans fail and cause heating problems. Mechanical fans sometimes put stress on water pumps and cause them to fail. If you are happy with your mechanical fan keep running it. Some people do not like fuel injection either because it is electric, but many of us like it.
post #15 of 54 Old 04-09-2020, 06:51 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

One of the nice things about either style fan is that if it doesn't work the way you want or you just don't like it you can always change it. One note on the electric fans. If you go that route keep your wiring heavier than what your fuse is rated at. That way if you have problems the wiring is not at fault, if done correctly.

I wrestled back and forth on the choice of fans and have the Ford Contour dual fan on now. So far so good but it's not hot weather. If it doesn't work this summer I'll make a shroud and try my mechanical fan.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in