1Likes
  • 1 Post By BagusJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-21-2021, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Heffff
1973 CJ5 

Garage
What am I missing

I have a 1973 CJ5 with power steering. The picture is how the PO had it setup. The steering wheel was welded on to the upper shaft. So I bought a upper shaft and want to go back with original type steering wheel. I want to put it back with the original horn connections down the column. I have other picks if needed. Thanks for any help.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2021, 12:04 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

I only have a diagram of the 1974 column, which had moved on from the 1960s Ross steering shaft. looking at your photo with the upper joint it looks like the 1974 diagram.

The horn contact was under the dash, there was a brush screwed on to the column that went through a hole on to a ring. the ring rotated but was connected to the hornbutton above. The horn button grounded the circuit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11-Steering excerpt column daigram.pdf (904.3 KB, 9 views)

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #3 of 6 Old 06-22-2021, 12:18 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

That clip could just be stopping the lower bushing from dropping out.

The column came from GM, it is a Saginaw design. You may be able to find the parts on GM parts sites.

Walckes sell a horn button kit but i am not sure it fits your column. Once you have verified if there is a brush under the dash and which column you may have< you may try contacting them.
pedal2themetai likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER

post #4 of 6 Old 06-22-2021, 07:58 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

The horn blows when you complete the ground circuit. The column is the grounding point.

The bushing at the bottom of the steering column is 1" OD and 3/4" ID. The one I took out of mine was nylon or a similar substance. When I rebuilt the column on our 74 I found everything online except for the bushing. I fabricated one out of PVC. Afterwards I found a brass bushing at the local Ace Hardware that would have worked. Over the years rust had built up on the shaft and inside the column. A 1" bottle brush and sand paper wrapped around a 3/4" dowel rod got the inside close to slick. i polished the shaft with crocus cloth and sand paper but if I had to do it again I'd take it to the machine shop and let them polish it on a lathe. To take some of the pressure off the bushing and the upper bearing I put a section of 3/4" ID 1" OD hose on the shaft and lubed it with grease and let it support the shaft inside the column. I had it apart a few weeks ago and all the makeshift parts were still holding up after 4 or 5 years.

When you remove the coupler you might think that the splines are worn on one side. They aren't and had I known that I wouldn't have ordered a new coupler. The bolts are 7/16" fine thread. The lower bolt holds the coupler together and also holds the lower shaft in place by going through the grove cut into the shaft.

When you reassemble the column ensure that the spring under the wheel is snug. The pressure it provides keeps the nut that hold the wheel snug. Don't ask how i discovered this.

You will eventually need to use most of this so go download it now. https://oljeep.com/edge_74_tsm.html There is little if any difference between the 73 and 74.

If none of the usual online parts suppliers don't have parts for your Jeep try these folks https://blog.kaiserwillys.com/ . They specialize on earlier Jeeps bu often parts didn't change from 1955 through 1975.

Good luck!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #5 of 6 Old 06-22-2021, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Heffff
1973 CJ5 

Garage
Thanks for your reply I will add the diagram to my resources. Heffff
post #6 of 6 Old 06-22-2021, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Heffff
1973 CJ5 

Garage
Thanks for taking the time to give me a detailed description and great ideas on cleaning up the steering column. Heffff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in