3Likes
  • 1 Post By BagusJeep
  • 1 Post By jldunn86
  • 1 Post By jldunn86

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-08-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Jeepdvm

Weird wiring issue

My Jeep is a 1978 cj 5 with 258. My battery hasn’t been charging correctly so I started to do some diagnostics to see if it was the alternator. I noticed that there was a black wire connected to the side of my starter solenoid where the battery connects to. The black wire was literally just stripped and wrapped around the connection. I traced it back but lost it and can’t tell where it goes.

Now the weird part. I removed the black wire since I didn’t know where it went and couldn’t find it in any diagrams. I noticed that the dash light for the parking break was on with no key in the ignition. The Jeep started fine, but kept running once I turned it off and took the key out. I put a proper connector on the black wire and hooked it back up and now it runs and shuts off like normal.

What could this black wire be? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-08-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Jeepdvm

A little more information. The gauge that’s there is an amp gauge and not volt. It seems like the amp gauges were dangerous. And ideas how to remove from system system and everything still work?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 09:52 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI
you need to trace the black wire to see where it goes... removing a wire from the battery side would not make the motor stay running.. Now hooking a wire (wrong wire ) to the battery side of the solenoid could keep power to the ignition and the motor would stay running.
There two wires that control the ignition.. one wire that is hot with the key in the on position and supplies about 9 volts to coil for run position and a wire that supplies a full 12 volts to coil for start up only and should only have power with key in start posistion. if one of those wires were on the battery side of the solenoid it would stay running with key off and or out..
good luck
tim

PS Edit..... Never heard of an amp gauge being dangerous. they've been using them for years ... one reads charging and the other the battery??

post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Jeepdvm

So I traced the wire back to the amp gauge and the amp gauge seems to be broken and causing the alternator not to charge the battery. Both wires coming into the amp gauge are 12v. Can I just get rid of the amp meter and wire these two wires together?
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Jeepdvm

I had heard a few fire stories from amp meters melting since direct 12v in and 12v out. Not sure how true, but rather just remove since not working anyways and not original.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 08:54 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The ammeter measures current flow so is in the direct line of the battery to alternator. They only catch fire when they short out. A Voltmeter merely shows there is voltage above battery voltage, hence alternator charging. An idiot light for the Alt is just as useful.
You need to remove the two cables back into the engine compartment and then splice them properly or better still replace the entire cable. There should be fusible links in place, check they are there.
pedal2themetai likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #7 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 09:27 AM
jldunn86

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Amp meter wiring, if you choose to remove the gauge, remove the wires back the source. If you tie them together it could or will be a direct short circuit.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 09:29 AM
jldunn86

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry should of added if the wire is the alternator out put it will need to remain in place. Disregard the last post sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in