post #1 of 34 Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Garage
warn winch

what are your thoughts on this winch?
WARN 9.5 TI WINCH THERMONMERTIC 9500 -LB LINE PULL

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his JEEP!...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 AM
85LaredoCJ7

1985 CJ7 

I think it is a good winch, and have experience with one that was, and still is used on a pretty heavy truck. They aren't cheap obviously, but I think if you can find a good 8274, and freshen it up, thats the way to go on a CJ.

The Dude abides....
post #3 of 34 Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Fatman

2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7 View Post
I think it is a good winch, and have experience with one that was, and still is used on a pretty heavy truck. They aren't cheap obviously, but I think if you can find a good 8274, and freshen it up, thats the way to go on a CJ.
Curious, I hear this often, what is it that makes the 8274 "the way to go on a CJ" ?

Thread Links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
85LaredoCJ7

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
Curious, I hear this often, what is it that makes the 8274 "the way to go on a CJ" ?
They are period correct, hold their value better than any other model winch, easy to rebuild, and they just look bitchin

The Dude abides....
post #5 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 AM
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

There are a few here for $400-$500 used. Still better than most of the new ones.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
post #6 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Fatman

2008 CJ7 

Quote:
They are period correct, hold their value better than any other model winch, easy to rebuild, and they just look bitchin
Gotta disagree w everything you've said.
I see these all the time for $200 ish, and they are by no means easy to work on as compared to inline planetary winches. My opinion, they take up way too much room, block the radiator air flow and have the worst mounting design ever.
Might be a good winch for the "period correct" aficionado, but from what I've seen, the motors & brake setups are anything but bitc hin.

frhrwa, if you're looking at the eBay link that Dave posted in his thread, that ebay seller is / was selling those winches with a steel cable and a hawse fairlead, that's gotta tell ya something.

Thread Links:

post #7 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 AM
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
I see these all the time for $200 ish, and they are by no means easy to work on as compared to inline planetary winches. My opinion, they take up way too much room, block the radiator air flow and have the worst mounting design ever.
Might be a good winch for the "period correct" aficionado, but from what I've seen, the motors & brake setups are anything but bitc hin.

frhrwa, if you're looking at the eBay link that Dave posted in his thread, that ebay seller is / was selling those winches with a steel cable and a hawse fairlead, that's gotta tell ya something.

But the line speed on them is SO much faster than a planatary winch, it's not even a comparison.

I think 9500 lbs is overkill for a Jeep, though. I have a XD8000i, and it never had a problem with my 78 F-150 which weighs a ton more than a Jeep, and I had that sucker buried in mud and sitting with the frame on rocks.
post #8 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 AM
85LaredoCJ7

1985 CJ7 

Quote:

I have to disagree with everything you have said. Unless you pulled one up from the bottom of the pacific ocean, I have never seen one that cheap, unless it is a parts winch. He'll, mine is 31 years old and it is still probably worth about 7-800 bucks. Show me another winch from that era still worth that kind of money. And taking up to much room....? What else do you need on your front bumper? I haven't had a problem with airflow....and I'm in AZ. I am borderline mentally retarded and was under the influence of alcohol, and I rebuilt mine.....I can send you the photo bucket link. Maybe you are right though, maybe they are junk.....

The Dude abides....
post #9 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM
CSP

Why is it that the 8274 is the most expensive winch (that's not also an air compressor) in Warn's lineup? It's definitely not just a random thing.

I did buy an 8274 once that only needed a remote for $160. It was in excellent condition. The only reason it was so cheap is because it was at an auction where people's focus was on tools and farm machinery and it was late in the day when it sold. The crowd had gone home already and everything went for pennies on the dollar at that point because of a lack of bidders. I could sell it for $500 easily.
post #10 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I will add that it's no coincidence Warn has been building the 8274 design, with very few changes, for almost 50 years.

There were (2) on my local CL the last time I checked. Both in average condition for $600.

Matt

post #11 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 PM
85LaredoCJ7

1985 CJ7 

There are two in my neck of the woods, both are $700 on CL and are not redone.

The Dude abides....
post #12 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Fatman

2008 CJ7 

Quote:
I have to disagree with everything you have said. Unless you pulled one up from the bottom of the pacific ocean, I have never seen one that cheap, unless it is a parts winch. He'll, mine is 31 years old and it is still probably worth about 7-800 bucks. Show me another winch from that era still worth that kind of money. And taking up to much room....? What else do you need on your front bumper? I haven't had a problem with airflow....and I'm in AZ. I am borderline mentally retarded and was under the influence of alcohol, and I rebuilt mine.....I can send you the photo bucket link. Maybe you are right though, maybe they are junk.....
First, lets be clear, I never said they were junk, those are your words. As to the extent of your mental state, WGAF ?

Was not aware that the Pacific was an option for these, but being the pond on the left coast, ya never know. Sorry you don't have the availability, but they are on CL here in the $300 range all the time, tells me I can get it for $200, if i wanted one ... I dont.
So ... I've had 2 come through that the customers complained about em, I offered to rebuild the first one at cost, just to get an idea about the thing. Nothing was simple, overall a 4 hour job. The 2nd one needed a new motor, and of course a new gear. I've taken apart and rebuilt M8000 series winches in an hour. Took more time removing the winch plate and then removing winch from that.

Resale value ?
New 8274 - $1800 Used in good condition $300 - $800 - less than 50%
New M8000 - $650 Used in good condition $400 - $500 - you can figure it out, it was your point about holding value ...

Hereís some bottom of the ocean foda for ya:

$275
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...ch-8274-a.html

Sold for $350
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...inch-sale.html

$650 and nothing but crickets, might be a friend of yours ?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...ispell-mt.html

Iíd dig through the local CL, but itís just not worth the time.

So you don't think that winch is an air flow issue, I'll take your word at it. From the looks of it, your winch and chrome grill look like they see some severe offroading.

Thread Links:

post #13 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Just an example of whats available around here.

Here is one for $450. http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/pts/3534418044.html

$450 http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/3473359926.html

$500 http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/3515555806.html

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
post #14 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

As far as blocking the radiator, I built a new front bumper to lower mine down. I never had cooling issues, mainly wanted the winch to pull strait off the end of the bumper, instead of above it.
Attached Thumbnails
Winch.jpg  

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
post #15 of 34 Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
85LaredoCJ7

1985 CJ7 

Fatman.......I really like your Jeep...probably one of the nicest ones here, so I'm not gonna pick on it, like you picked on mine, but it seems as though you want to pick a fight with me, maybe something you read on another thread has you bothered? I think you posted up bogus statements that are simply not true, and that's it. Anybody who would pay 4-500 for a used M8000 is nuts anyway. Maybe your idea of "good" condition is different than mine, but I doubt it by the looks of your Jeep. Dude, these winches have been on the fronts of Jeeps and TLCs for how long??... and I haven't heard of an airflow problem. The airflow problem is more likely related to a poor fan set up or poor radiator.

I would think anybody with any sense if given the option of a "good" condition 8274 or M8000 is gonna take the 8274.

The Dude abides....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in