Warn 8274-70...am I wrong??? - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 03-30-2020, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Kilrain
1979 CJ5 

Warn 8274-70...am I wrong???

I lurk a lot, don't post much but am currently having an experience that is a bit annoying.

So, I decided to "upgrade" the winch on my CJ5 to a brand, spankin' new Warn 8274-70. It's Warn's limited edition, 70th anniversary 8274, upgraded to 10k lbs and with synthetic line. It is very expensive but I figured what the hell, it looks more era "appropriate" than my current Superwinch and is a step up in line speed and capacity. Plus, there is just the cool factor.

So I order this thing and it arrived today. When the Fedex driver was unloading it, I immediately noticed that the exterior of the box was stained with an unknown liquid. I was concerned, but accepted the shipment hoping that maybe it came from another box or the delivery truck floor or some other source.

Unfortunately, that was not the case. Turns out, the liquid was the gear oil from the gear case of the winch, leaking out inside the box. The back of the winch was soaked in gear oil, as was the back/bottom of the box. I'm unsure of where, exactly, the oil is leaking from however I think it's from the gear engagement knob/shaft. Once again, this a just a guess based on where the oil looks like it started inside the box. Refer to the attached photos for additional information.

I'm unsure of whether this is a manufacturing defect, a packaging issue or shipping issue. What I am sure of is, to me, this is unacceptable for a new, top of the line, limited edition product from a company that is well regarded in the 4x4 community. I sent an email to the vendor as well as left a voicemail for them since they are east coast I am west coast. I'm hoping for, and expect, positive and prompt customer service as this particular vendor has always been good to me in the past.

I suppose what I'm asking is, has anyone else had a Warn 8274, 70th edition or not, arrive like this? Do they commonly leak? Am I a bit too concerned over a non-issue? Just interested in feedback, thanks!

1979 Jeep CJ-5 Golden Eagle, Moroccan Buff, 258 L6, Howell FI, JeepAir A/C, T18 4 speed, Dana 20 TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-30-2020, 05:46 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i would guess it was tipped on its side,upside down in transit?

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old 03-30-2020, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Kilrain
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
i would guess it was tipped on its side,upside down in transit?
I guess...? Do they not have gaskets at the joints or seals around the shafts? I get that it isn't meant to operate upside down or sideways but seems odd to me that it would leak that much. Also, I there is no fill/service/dipstick in the case so I reckon' there isn't any way to determine how much oil leaked out or how much needs to be added...much less disassembling it to add the oil back.

1979 Jeep CJ-5 Golden Eagle, Moroccan Buff, 258 L6, Howell FI, JeepAir A/C, T18 4 speed, Dana 20 TC

post #4 of 28 Old 03-31-2020, 10:46 AM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Skip the vendor, call warn directly.
caseypotts, JoonHoss and pman like this.

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

post #5 of 28 Old 04-01-2020, 07:21 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

For many years I ran a department that among many things shipped and received small parcels through UPS, FedEx overnight and Ground, DHL, USPS, and received from many others including trucking companies. In my now former professional opinion this is a result of mishandling during shipping. The shipping company would not have accepted it if that oil was visible at shipping. Did the driver point out the damage at delivery? He should have.

Call the vendor. They paid the shipping insurance. They are the only ones who can file a claim for the insured value. They are also who will replace it and return it to Warn. Send them these pictures. They will pay for return shipping. Suggest that they send a new winch so you can use the packaging to return the damaged one. The return shipping company won't let you use the damaged one.

Good luck!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #6 of 28 Old 04-01-2020, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Kilrain
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
Skip the vendor, call warn directly.
I did contact Warn via telephone. The guy was nice enough and said he'd never had one do what I described. The options he(Warn) could provide were take it to one of their service centers for repair, ship it(my expense) to them for repair or repair it myself. Unfortunately, their closest service center is over 150 miles away, one way. As for shipping my brand new, premium, limited edition winch which is either defective or damaged through no fault of mine, at my expense, is not an option. "Repairing" my brand new, premium, limited edition winch myself is, for me, a non-starter based on principle alone. To his credit, the Warn fella' offered me some "bling"(he wasn't specific what that was) for the inconvenience if I repaired it myself. But for me, no thanks, none of those options are acceptable.

He agreed it was properly the responsibility of the vendor to correct the situation. I believe that to be the case also.

post #7 of 28 Old 04-01-2020, 07:21 PM
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
I did contact Warn via telephone. The guy was nice enough and said he'd never had one do what I described. The options he(Warn) could provide were take it to one of their service centers for repair, ship it(my expense) to them for repair or repair it myself. Unfortunately, their closest service center is over 150 miles away, one way. As for shipping my brand new, premium, limited edition winch which is either defective or damaged through no fault of mine, at my expense, is not an option. "Repairing" my brand new, premium, limited edition winch myself is, for me, a non-starter based on principle alone. To his credit, the Warn fella' offered me some "bling"(he wasn't specific what that was) for the inconvenience if I repaired it myself. But for me, no thanks, none of those options are acceptable.

He agreed it was properly the responsibility of the vendor to correct the situation. I believe that to be the case also.
I just rebuilt an old 8274 to put on mine, and cannot think of where it would allow oil to leak out of. only possibility I could think of would be the shaft of the freespool lever. it may or may not have a O ring seal on it. One of the other seals might have been left out, or pinched during assembly.
Regardless, if oil leaked out, water will leak in. For what you paid for it, I would expect it t be 100%. Kind of disappointing to hear Warn isn't backing you up on it.

Here is a link to a very detailed step by step rebuild. Shouldn't be much of a difference in them. Looking through here may give you some idea of where it could be possibly leaking from. https://imgur.com/gallery/xPxrX52
post #8 of 28 Old 04-01-2020, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Kilrain
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
I just rebuilt an old 8274 to put on mine, and cannot think of where it would allow oil to leak out of. only possibility I could think of would be the shaft of the freespool lever. it may or may not have a O ring seal on it. One of the other seals might have been left out, or pinched during assembly.
Regardless, if oil leaked out, water will leak in. For what you paid for it, I would expect it t be 100%. Kind of disappointing to hear Warn isn't backing you up on it.

Here is a link to a very detailed step by step rebuild. Shouldn't be much of a difference in them. Looking through here may give you some idea of where it could be possibly leaking from. https://imgur.com/gallery/xPxrX52
I've seen your imgur page before, super cool and informative.

As for the winch, if I was a betting man, I'd say it IS leaking around the freespool lever shaft. As for why...I don't know. I'm pretty sure Warn didn't think it would leak during shipping since the box doesn't have any markings indicating "this side up" or other directions to give a hint that it might. In any event, I haven't even taken the winch completely out of the box, just tipped it up for photos, since I have no intention of keeping this specific one.

Regarding the response from Warn, it's about what I expected. I get that they have no idea what happened and want to kick it back to the vendor to deal with. Makes sense to me, but can't say I'm not really annoyed by this.
post #9 of 28 Old 04-01-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Kilrain
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
For many years I ran a department that among many things shipped and received small parcels through UPS, FedEx overnight and Ground, DHL, USPS, and received from many others including trucking companies. In my now former professional opinion this is a result of mishandling during shipping. The shipping company would not have accepted it if that oil was visible at shipping. Did the driver point out the damage at delivery? He should have.

Call the vendor. They paid the shipping insurance. They are the only ones who can file a claim for the insured value. They are also who will replace it and return it to Warn. Send them these pictures. They will pay for return shipping. Suggest that they send a new winch so you can use the packaging to return the damaged one. The return shipping company won't let you use the damaged one.

Good luck!
The driver did not see the oil on the box. Even if she had, she didn't even know what it was(she asked and when told it was a winch, she didn't know what that was) and only complained about how heavy it was.

So, I have called the vendor. And emailed the vendor the photos and an explanation. I was hoping to hear something from them today but haven't. I did get a call from the rep. I'd previously spoken with yesterday asking if I'd installed it. I told her I hadn't and that it hadn't even been removed from the box. In my mind, her question doesn't bode well and smacks of trying to kiss it off. I hope not.

I'm going to call again first thing tomorrow and try to get some type of resolution or at least some meaningful information beyond "we are contacting Warn and will get back ahold of you." The vendor is a well known internet Jeep/4x4 sales site(yes they are advertise on jeepforum) who I've had good luck with before so I hope this gets resolved to my satisfaction.
post #10 of 28 Old 04-01-2020, 08:03 PM
KevinCJ7Jeep
1981 CJ7 

Wink

Well if the vendor doesnít do the right thing, maybe the repís name and number could somehow pop up on this thread for all of us to call.
post #11 of 28 Old 04-01-2020, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Kilrain
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCJ7Jeep View Post
Well if the vendor doesnít do the right thing, maybe the repís name and number could somehow pop up on this thread for all of us to call.
I appreciate the support and idea however I've specifically not mentioned the vendor in the hopes that when I do, it will be because they handled this correctly. That's my hope anyway.

I get that shipping is expensive. Returns are expensive. Defective/damaged items are expensive. I also understand that things are pretty unusual right now considering the "global pandemic" we find ourselves in. That being said, good customer service is easy and pretty much(within reason) always worth the cost.

post #12 of 28 Old 04-02-2020, 05:36 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

I suspect the call from the vendor rep is just a follow up on the sale and not a reaction to your email. Call them back and ask for customer service. A customer service rep's job is to make you happy so you'll buy more from them.

I can't remember seeing a vendor ad here that I'm not familiar with. If you window shop on the internet you will notice that the prices are usually competitive. If the prices are competitive the good feeling you get from dealing with them is what keeps you coming back.

Again good luck and keep us posted.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #13 of 28 Old 04-02-2020, 06:01 AM
KevinCJ7Jeep
1981 CJ7 

"We're a small bunch, admittedly, but we're a determined fringe element that cannot be counted upon to do the sensible thing."
Attached Images

post #14 of 28 Old 04-12-2020, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Kilrain
1979 CJ5 

Angry

Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a bit, global pandemic and all been keeping me busy and tired.

So, the good news is/was that the vendor stepped up, contacted Warn and had them ship me a replacement winch. They also gave me a label to ship the original one to Warn. The replacement arrived on 04/08, Thursday, and the original one went back with the UPS guy. Since there was no oil or obvious signs of damage on the outside of the box, I set it aside for installation on Saturday, 04/11.

So yesterday I pulled my old winch off and installed the foot forward mounting plate for the 8274. Then I opened the replacement winch box. I noted a little oil on the drum but was hoping it was from assembly or packing or something. Turned out I was wrong. This winch is definitely damaged, with the clutch lever being bent and the clutch lever housing being cracked. I put the winch back in the box, taped it up and sent the photos to the vendor along with a request for another, preferably undamaged, winch and another return label.

This is pretty annoying. I've not heard that this is a common issue but it sure is common for me, apparently.

post #15 of 28 Old 04-12-2020, 12:21 PM
gojeepgo
1981 CJ7 

Man this is some terrible luck you're having. This one is obviously damaged. If it came straight from Warn it should not be a problem getting a replacement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in