• 1 Post By John Strenk
  • 2 Post By Dryseals
  • 2 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-04-2020, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
BradWilson101
1975 CJ5 

Wagner Power Painter

If you want to paint your rig by yourself I highly recommend NOT using a Wagner Power Painter. It was suggested by some well meaning friends in the autobody industry trying to help me save some bucks. Well....

I've purchased a gallon of primer (4 quarts at a time) and each time I try and sand the orange peel out I sand off most of the primer.
I've gone through more primer, hardener, cleaner, sandpaper and time that I could prolly have had a nice paint job by the shop by now.
I've sanded so much that I've got callouses on callouses and I've all but burned up my orbital sander.

So, I'll be calling the body shop next week and negotiating a price. All I wanna do is get this damn thing on the road. Have a great weekend.

75 CJ-5 with 76 glass tub. 350 sbc with Edelbrock 600cfm, SM465, D20, D44 w/ 3:73, D30 w/ 3:73, Novak Hydro Clutch Convo. Turned into a frame off resto so it's still in progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-04-2020, 03:29 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWilson101 View Post
If you want to paint your rig by yourself I highly recommend NOT using a Wagner Power Painter. It was suggested by some well meaning friends in the autobody industry trying to help me save some bucks. Well....

I've purchased a gallon of primer (4 quarts at a time) and each time I try and sand the orange peel out I sand off most of the primer.
I've gone through more primer, hardener, cleaner, sandpaper and time that I could prolly have had a nice paint job by the shop by now.
I've sanded so much that I've got callouses on callouses and I've all but burned up my orbital sander.

So, I'll be calling the body shop next week and negotiating a price. All I wanna do is get this damn thing on the road. Have a great weekend.
Power Painter is designed for latex and paints of that nature not automotive paints. You'll save more money if you but a compressor and a decent gun than going to the paint shop.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-04-2020, 03:51 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI if you didn't get it cleaned properly with Lacquer thinner its going to orange peel as well as if you use different kinds of paint non-compatible type of bases.
good luck
tim

post #4 of 14 Old 07-04-2020, 04:55 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
might as well rolled it. Wagner is junk really even for house painting. You need the right tool to even start to learn the job or it will be frustrating and in the end cost more. If you were going to weld you would buy a welder. Not get batteries and do it like some bush repair. Paint on a Vehicle. Done right is a Cup gun or HVLP type cup gun today. from there its rattle cans or and i have seen pics that look ok rolled and brushed. Funny i was like 14 when i first picked up a cup gun and went to town on a 47cj and from that jeep other skills like welding ,body stuff. The tools dont cost to much. Big air supply will. But worth it for the other tools you should have like air sanders and the rest to make work fast and simple.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-04-2020, 07:50 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Look at traditional coach painting enamels. They are designed to be brush, roller or spray applied and can give a really good smooth surface with rolling and brushing. Solid single stage paints are the best choice for being brushed or rollered. The ultimate smoothness and glossiness is related to having enough thickness of paint and wet sanding it to really flat.

When I was at university many years ago a friend repainted his banger using household gloss paint and a brush. It was an improvement. After a few weeks we wet sanded it and polished it. It was a 3' paint job, good if you were more than 3' away on a dark night. Cost very very little. Car was scrapped a few years later.

if you are building a trail rig or a rough work rig then a coach enamel rollered and brushed is a level of finish that is far more than you need. If you are building a mall crawler it is probably good enough if you take your time. I have seen Classic Range Rovers brushed and rollered and repainted with this stuff which look very presentable close up. Preparation and finishing are more important than the paint and application method to doing a good job, and that is labour intensive.

It is also a lot cheaper than buying a compressor and gun. However a gun is capable of producing a flat painted surface very quickly, which is why every shop has used them for decades. later they could apply metallics etc so are the choice if you want a fancy paint.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #6 of 14 Old 07-05-2020, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
BradWilson101
1975 CJ5 

So, I've got to admit. Yesterday was a rough day. I've never not celebrated the 4th of July and yesterday had me pretty depressed. Add all of the stuff from the OP and I was not a happy Jeeper. My Brother In Law came to the rescue with a HVLP gravity gun. The compressor is small (hopefully not too small) but I'm going to get an inline gauge and water filter and give it a go. I still have a buttload of sanding to do but I am going to give it another shot.

I can't thank you all enough for the advice and kind words. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

75 CJ-5 with 76 glass tub. 350 sbc with Edelbrock 600cfm, SM465, D20, D44 w/ 3:73, D30 w/ 3:73, Novak Hydro Clutch Convo. Turned into a frame off resto so it's still in progress.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-05-2020, 10:19 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWilson101 View Post
So, I've got to admit. Yesterday was a rough day. I've never not celebrated the 4th of July and yesterday had me pretty depressed. Add all of the stuff from the OP and I was not a happy Jeeper. My Brother In Law came to the rescue with a HVLP gravity gun. The compressor is small (hopefully not too small) but I'm going to get an inline gauge and water filter and give it a go. I still have a buttload of sanding to do but I am going to give it another shot.

I can't thank you all enough for the advice and kind words. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
HVLP needs volume. See if you can find an extra tank to help keep the volume up. I actually picked up a 32 gallon compressor tank on FB market place for $35. Hook them up in parallel and that will help.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-05-2020, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
BradWilson101
1975 CJ5 

Cj

I'm sooooo sick of sanding, ugh.

So here's another question. I'm using ACME 2K high build primer. How do I know when I've sanded out the orange peel or it's just filler. It all looks the same? (I'm also searching YouTube for answers)

I keep sanding till it's all the same color grey but the edges and high spots get back down to the original color, how do I stop that? Or will that stop when I get the layering figured out?

I will bring my old compressor back to the garage (we moved). It's a 5hp 60gal Napa Nitro compressor. From what I'm reading that should do the trick with the HVLP gravity gun.

Lastly, what size tip for the gun? Does it matter whether I'm using primer or enamel? Painting is NOT MY THING and that's why this project has sat for 8 years. Any and all help is appreciated. I'll even accept appropriate flaming Thanks everyone.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 08:24 PM
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Harbor freight. Get a $15 gun and practice with it. Not on your jeep, on some other metal. Figure out the pressure you need to get good coverage. watch youtube videos until your eyes are red. Learn to clean the gun correctly our you will be buying another one soon.

I painted mine. Not perfect but it looks better then it did.
BradWilson101 likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 09:20 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Lets see some pictures of what you are working on...

Here is my hood before painting it.

image_1593288975177.jpg

And after:
4e5d1eb3-9012-4fd2-9aa6-1bf7d89b4a05_1593628942387.jpg

Basically I lowered the high spots cause it's easier to fill and then used a long sanding bar. This keeps you from sanding out your fill.
Fortunately, most dings go in so they are easy to fill, its whe you slam your hood on the oil cap and create a bulge outward.

There is something called a shrinking hammer but I've only watched one used, never tied it myself.
You see most dings stretch the metal and all the flattening with a hammer will never un-shrink it.

But I'm not a body man and I don't know all the tricks.
BradWilson101 likes this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #11 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 09:44 PM
REDnBLUES

1977 CJ7 

Talking

Your hood turned out pretty nice.
Me likey

1977 CJ7 - LT1/700R4 Project
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock - stock
2013 JK Sahara - gone
post #12 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
BradWilson101
1975 CJ5 

Wagner Power Painter

That looks great John. Here it is. Itís all fiberglass except for the grille. Iíve used a block for most spots except the corners. Used a foam block there. There are still dark (rough) spots that Iím not sure are fill or more orange peel.

Iíve re-taped and set myself up with an HVLP gun and 60g compressor. Still watching YouTube and even asked a local body to come a check it out. 5th times the charm I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #13 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 07:39 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Another trick after you prime. Take a flat block like an 8 inch long 2 inch wide board and wrap you sand paper around that. Then use some cheap black rattle can paint and lightly spray it over the primer just enough so you can hardly see it. Then run your block along the flat spots of the vehicle. The high spots will sand off and look like normal primer, low spot will retain the light black, easy to see, 400-600 grit is what I will normally use for this, dry or wet.

As for gun tip sizes, go by your paint manufacturers datasheet, it will tell you what pressures and what tip to use and virtually anything you want to know about the paint.
John Strenk and BradWilson101 like this.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 08:21 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Here is a typical tech sheet:

omni-mpc-data-sheet-page-1.jpg

Name:  Omni MPC data sheet page 2.JPG
Views: 18
Size:  110.7 KB

You can see it list air pressure, type of gun and tip sizes and a lot of other useful stuff like ratios and dry time...

You can get these sheets at the paint manufacturers website. like this one:
https://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refin...-Refinish/Omni
BradWilson101 and JeepRonibo like this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in