3Likes
  • 2 Post By backupoffmefoo
  • 1 Post By 87MJTim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2020, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
donnie77
1986 CJ7 

Which vehicle to look for??

I have a 1986 cj7 with a gutless 2.5 litre, 5 speed amc 20, solid axel 4:10, i wanna do an engine swap and wanna know what vehicle to look for at the yards and what not, i would like to buy a salvaged or older truck and use the diffs, tranny, motor, maybe transfer case or keep the dana 300 with an adaptor. what's my best bang for buck cause iam on a budget.
cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-20-2020, 08:48 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Oh lord... Why didnít you just ask which is better... Bud or Coors? Football or Baseball? Glock or Springfield? The potential is endless.

What do you want? Reliability? Access to cheap replacement parts? Keep it Jeep? V8 vs straight 6?

My CJ started with the Iron Duke 4 banger with 3.73 ratio. I put in a 4.2 with a T5 and it was reliable and smooth shifting... but would get passed driving up a canyon by a herd of elk. (Even after going to 4.56 gears) I then went to semi- built 401 V8 with a NV3550 5 speed.

The question is... What is the usage? What do you want this thing to do at the end?

Last thing... I wouldnít try to save a buck here. Iíd figure out what the long term goal is and take a little longer to get there if needed. Donít make a double step like I did and waste the money you thought you were saving by going cheap and easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
underscore and GR-CJ like this.

I want my two dollars!
post #3 of 6 Old 05-20-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
donnie77
1986 CJ7 

Play in the mud, snow, and everything else, it wont be a daily driver, I just wanna know if theres a truck out there that I can use the tranny motor, diffs, I really dont care if it's a ford,chev, or gm,

post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2020, 09:26 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Which vehicle to look for??

I would keep the one piece AMC 20 and the Dana 30 up front if your not going bigger than 33-35ís. The Dana 300 is one of the most revered part of the CJís... and you could stick with the T5 trans if you were willing keep it to a straight 6. In that scenario you could get a donor 4.2 and it would work great for your application. Especially with 4.10ís and less than 33Ē tires.

Iím sure others would have other opinions to share... But Iíd spend all my money on the engine and leave the rest the way it is.

That will help keep your resale value higher as well if itís all AMC Jeep

My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want my two dollars!
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2020, 01:35 PM
87MJTim

1987 MJ Comanche 

You could go with a 4.0 from a 91+ XJ. This would drop straight into your existing engine bay without any body mods. You should get the complete engine bay wiring harness and electronics. The fuel injection will give you a boost over a 4.2 carb set up.

Other issues that will be needed: electric fuel pump, speedo gear in tcase (91 YJ), and reconfigure exhaust downpipe.

The T5 bolts up to the block, not adapters needed.
Supraquick likes this.

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.0 (93 XJ) AX15 (Formerly T5)
post #6 of 6 Old 05-22-2020, 03:19 PM
kennuck

1999-2004 Chevy Silverado with 5.3 4l60e, rework the harness using info at LT1swap.com to keep cost down, Tcase adapter to your Dana 300. Lots of power, reliable, and good fuel economy. LS for the win!

1986 CJ7 L33 5.3 H.O. BTR Stage 2 cam, 4L60E, Dana 300, Dana 44

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in