Valve cover and gaskets - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-21-2020, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Azpecker

Valve cover and gaskets

I’m looking into changing the valve covers and gaskets on my 75 cj5 with the 304 since they are leaking. Any recommendations on gasket type and valve cover recommendations? Do I just get the standard felpro cork gaskets? I figure if I’m changing the gaskets to change valve covers for better looks. I noticed on amazon and Napa Edelbrock makes a chrome cover for around $60. Just not looking to break the bank on covers. Just want something with a clean look and matched up well. What looks good and has worked well for people who have done it? I don’t rebuild engines but I’m handy enough to do this job. Any input on do’s and don’ts for this job is appreciated. This forum has been very helpful in past questions and it’s appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-23-2020, 07:09 PM
PJM86

1986 CJ7 

Garage
When I had my 79 Golden Eagle 304 V8, I used aluminum valve covers I purchased from quadratec, about $200. I bought FelPro gaskets separately from Autozone. Also, just a tip: when I did the install I used a thin bead of RTV high temp gasket to hold the FelPro gaskets on the valve covers before installing them. They like to move when you try to install them, so the rtv helped a lot. Also, no leaks once I got everything installed. Here is a pic of them installed. I sold this Jeep, but I still had some photos of the work I did.

3cd61bc5-677f-43fc-845b-bf15d2282a14.jpg
post #3 of 3 Old 03-24-2020, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Azpecker

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the tip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in