Vacuum Line Help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-15-2020, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
petecasey

Vacuum Line Help

Hi all -

Haven't posted much but have been on the forums for a while. I have a 1981 CJ7 from the east coast where I didn't have to pass SMOG ever. Now I need to connect all the vacuum lines and make sure everything works in order to pass. I believe I have mostly everything but needed some help from people who know more than I do! I've searched on the forums and have a Chilton manual but am still a little puzzled by a couple pieces.

The Jeep originally had a 6 cylinder and then the PO put a AMC 360 in there (not sure what year). The air pump is all hooked up and it seems like there's just a couple of hoses to connect - but there's a few that I'm having trouble identifying. My charcoal canister has two of 4 lines hooked up, and I know that one just needs to go to my fuel tank and another needs to go to my carb bowl vent, though I'm not sure exactly which one is the carb bowl vent...

The dual CTO pictured first is obviously not connected to anything, and has just been left alone since I got the Jeep. Not sure where these go? The diagrams are a little difficult for me to follow so I haven't made much progress here, and I'm also not sure if it's different since my Jeep started with the inline 6 and is now a AMC v8.

Next I have this capped off from my carb (MC2100), and another one capped from my CTO switch(?). Not sure where those should go.

The next photo is a pipe coming from my block, and another connection point for a hose from the carb. I'm not sure what their name / function is. Also capped off so I'm thinking it needs to go to something here.

Last photo I would just love to know what this is. I've never been sure and now would be a good time to ask.

Thanks for the time and help on my noobish questions - I'd welcome being pointed somewhere else for this also but as I've said, I've done research and have my manual but I just am not putting some things together

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4670.jpg   IMG_4671.jpg   IMG_4672.jpg   IMG_4679.jpg   IMG_4605.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-15-2020, 07:23 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
You have moved from where to where?

----JEEPFELLER
post #3 of 3 Old 10-16-2020, 05:59 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

I can help with picture 2 and 4.

The capped pipe in #4 should be connected to the intake in #2. This is the fresh air intake for the choke heating tube bolted into the intake manifold choke tube in #2. It connects to the nipple pictured just to the right in 4. If you look at the the flange bolted to the intake in 2, you can see a "dot" opposite the tube. This is actually the hot air intake tube which has been broken off at surface level. It should be connected to the bottom nipple on the choke housing. The nipple on the choke housing draws air into the heater element through the tube in #2. You can hook the two together directly, which will eliminate dirty air from being introduced into the intake.

I notice the choke is completely disconnected as well. This will cause cold weather startup issues. I would address this issue in a separate thread.
Attached Images

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in