Vacuum Line Diagram 151 engine - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-04-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
kuhndogs
1983 CJ7 

Vacuum Line Diagram 151 engine

Looking for a diagram so I can trace all vacuum lines on the 151 iron duke engine. Engine idles perfectly. When driving and shifting from 1st to 2nd the motor starts hesitating and hiccupping and loses power. The vapor canister has been replaced and all vacuum lines are new. Not sure if they are correctly hooked up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I believe this is for a 1982, but it should be close.

Hope it helps,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
03-06-2011 011.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
kuhndogs
1983 CJ7 

Matt,

Thanks for the information this will be a great help with tracing everything out.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 AM
Conch Cruiser
1983 CJ7 

I have an 83 with the 151 engine. I had some problems with it sputtering out on me. It would be intermittent and then would not run. I found that this engine has a very small fuel filter that is installed on the front of the carburetor. It does not take much to stop it up. I could change mine out and drive it a short ways and start having problems again. The real solution for me would be to drop the tank and clean it out. Instead, I cut the metal fuel line and installed a large inline fuel filter. It is clear and you can see when it is getting dirty. It will catch anything before it gets to the small filter in the carb. Over several tanks of fuel, my 151 started clearing up. I had to change those filters out several times before it started running better for any extended time.

FYI, my vacuum lines had rotted off. I changed everything out. Let me know if you need any photos or any questions about how they should be.

The only other thing I had to do to my 151 was to change out the valve cover gasket, PCV grommets in the valve cover, and oil cap. That really started to slow down the oil leaks. I also had to get the exhaust manifold welded due to cracking. It is a common problem.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

iirc, the 1983 used the AMC 2.5L which is considerably different than the 1979-82 Pontiac "Iron Duke" 2.5L engines used in jeeps. the Iron Duke used the Rochester Varajet carb.

1966 CJ5A, mods are coming
1966 Wagoneer, bone stock
post #6 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 05:13 AM
Conch Cruiser
1983 CJ7 

Strvger01,

I know there were two or three years they used the GM 151. I have an 83 with the GM 151. The Carb is on the passenger side, Exhaust is on the driver side. I have seen the AMC which is obviously different.

My 83 came with the 151 per the serial no/VIN. Mine must have come out of production at the beginning or end of the change over.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-11-2018, 05:07 PM
jchavi02
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conch Cruiser View Post
I have an 83 with the 151 engine. I had some problems with it sputtering out on me. It would be intermittent and then would not run. I found that this engine has a very small fuel filter that is installed on the front of the carburetor. It does not take much to stop it up. I could change mine out and drive it a short ways and start having problems again. The real solution for me would be to drop the tank and clean it out. Instead, I cut the metal fuel line and installed a large inline fuel filter. It is clear and you can see when it is getting dirty. It will catch anything before it gets to the small filter in the carb. Over several tanks of fuel, my 151 started clearing up. I had to change those filters out several times before it started running better for any extended time.

FYI, my vacuum lines had rotted off. I changed everything out. Let me know if you need any photos or any questions about how they should be.

The only other thing I had to do to my 151 was to change out the valve cover gasket, PCV grommets in the valve cover, and oil cap. That really started to slow down the oil leaks. I also had to get the exhaust manifold welded due to cracking. It is a common problem.
Do you have a diagram of the vacuum lines that you replaced. Iím trying my best to trace mine out for my 1980 cj7
post #8 of 10 Old 03-31-2020, 09:00 AM
NikCJ5

Quote:

I hope you see this. I could really use some photos of your 1983 vacuum line routing. Mine rotted off and after doing my best replacing everything and routing, it sounds and smells like it running a bit lean.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-01-2020, 04:16 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikCJ5 View Post
I hope you see this. I could really use some photos of your 1983 vacuum line routing. Mine rotted off and after doing my best replacing everything and routing, it sounds and smells like it running a bit lean.
I don't know what year this is from but maybe the components match yours. THe picture Matt posted might be closer to your year though.
Attached Thumbnails
I4-Vacuum.JPG  

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #10 of 10 Old 04-01-2020, 08:35 AM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

While I agree these two engines are different, I also agree that the fuel filter could very well be the issue. I remember having a very similar issue with my 1980 GM 151 that ended up being the small filter inside the carb where the hard line enters. I changed that filter out and added a clear inline filter in between the the hard line at the frame and the soft line going up to the motor. I had to change out the inline filter about once a year.

I don't think there are any pictures of the lines in my build thread, and it is amazing how quickly one forgets the little things once that motor was swapped. I believe that the diagram Matt put up was very close if not spot on.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in