Used Distrubtor, what to look for. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 12-31-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
waterdowg

1984 CJ7 

Used Distrubtor, what to look for.

I did the Team Rush and Nutter a while ago, and the post Nutter vacuum tube clean up. So now I'm looking to change the distributor to a pre-computer unit.
I have checked the local parts stores and not one have units make R13/R18. I have loacted 1 from a 1980 AMC Concord w/ 6cylinder for under $20 at my local Junk Yard. So what should I look for so see if it is any good. How do I check for wear issues etc....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 12-31-2011, 02:20 PM
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

better yet go with a 77 Ford truck with a 300 cap, rotor adapter and wires.
The ford cap is better ,the adapter is cheap and you get 9mm wires.
no screwdriver needed to open cap this has clips. This works great.I did it!

Rubicon Rich ,05 TJ Rubicon: PatriotJeepers.com
86 CJ7 258,T18,Scout Dana300,twin sticks,Dana44's,4W Disc, locked,35's,YORK OBA,Warn 8274,fullcage.
51 M100 1/4 ton Jeep trailer
post #3 of 42 Old 12-31-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
waterdowg

1984 CJ7 

Will the 77 distributor be a direct swap in a 258? If not what would I need to do?

post #4 of 42 Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 PM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

He's saying CAP,
Missed the part about looking for a distributor with advance.

What advance are you getting in the ones you find?

REMEMBER,
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #5 of 42 Old 12-31-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
waterdowg

1984 CJ7 

Thanks. The ones I'm finding I think were like 6.75, 6, 7., 6.5 or something like that. I don't remember the exact numbers, but they were they had those numbers. I was mostly looking for 13 or 18, so I really didn't pay attention to the those number.
They will not order more since they have some in stock and the the computer tells them its the correct part. Computers.......
post #6 of 42 Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 PM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

Yup, that's the computer distributor you are finding.

You COULD find an older Ford distributor and swipe the advance head out of it...
Except for housing shaft and gear, the parts interchange.

REMEMBER,
LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #7 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
waterdowg

1984 CJ7 

I can get a used distrubutor from and 80 AMC concord with a 258. Shouldn't that work? If so what should I look for and how do I check for wear or issues.

I really don't want to mess with my original distributor. Would like to do a swap.
post #8 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

I got my re-manufactured Motorcraft distributer at NAPA. As you can see. It has the larger advance slots.

When you find one, I suggest flipping the head to use the 18 degree slot, and stick a lighter set of springs in it. You'll be surprised how it wakes up your engine.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
DizzyRework4.jpg  

post #9 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
waterdowg

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7
I got my re-manufactured Motorcraft distributer at NAPA. As you can see. It has the larger advance slots.

When you find one, I suggest flipping the head to use the 18 degree slot, and stick a lighter set of springs in it. You'll be surprised how it wakes up your engine.

Matt
Thanks I went to my local NAPA, and they only had the computer ones. Do you have the part number on the springs you used?
post #10 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

I had trouble finding light enough springs, so I made my own from standard hardware store springs.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade-Spring.jpg  

post #11 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 09:27 AM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

'C' clip with tails under that oiling felt at the top of the shaft,
And the springs,
Are the only things holding that advance head on the shaft.

If you find that Concord from a I-6, it will fit right into your engine.
Depending on year, it will either have the large advance head, or the computer advance head.

There really isn't anything to wear out stupidly on these distributors,
They aren't like breaker points distributors, they work on like 0.035" clearances, so you can run one when it's way warn with no issues.
That's why the factories all jumped on them and got away from breaker points.

You can use the 'Chevy' tuning springs, they are available everywhere for cheap.

REMEMBER,
LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #12 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
waterdowg

1984 CJ7 

Ok thanks. So as long as it has the 13/18 stampings. I should be good then. I will check on tuesday on my way home from work. I is out of thr car already. They just have verify they still have it.

As for the Chevy springs what do I look for?
post #13 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 11:51 AM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

Go get a 'Tune Up' kit for a chevy distributor,
At the parts stores, it's usually 'Mr. Gasket' p/n 929 or Moroso p/n 72310 if I remember correctly...

Throw away the weights/bushings, you don't need them for the 'Ford' distributor.
The springs are all that you will be using.

REMEMBER,
LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #14 of 42 Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
waterdowg

1984 CJ7 

Well the yard did not have the distributor. There is another yard about 45 min away that does, and they are twice the price. So, looks like I may try to get a ford and swap the heads.
What year and make ford should I ask for. I really don't have a u-pull closer then an hour away.
Are the ford advance plates available I after market parts?

Or if someone has a pre-computer dizzy they could sell me shipped for $20-$30.
post #15 of 42 Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 PM
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

If all else fails, take off your advance head and open up the slots. I think jeephammer does this all the time, and has some sort of template he goes by. You could eyeball the slot openings from the picture in this thread..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in