USA TOPS sewing again - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #196 of 204 Old 05-20-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Have enough for maybe 5 tops

I have enough fabric for ~5 tan tops. three are spoken for already.
(Nucking1Futs,,Neuner-9R,,jmoore)

Going forward, i do not mind make a small production run in the spring time if there is demand. If there is enough black request, I am happy to order some fabric and make some tops.

It might take a ~week to make the few request now. I have an engineering nightmare on a project that takes precedence. This 70s house has had walls removed in the past, was built on a 1/2 cdx subfloor and the bottom plate has been butchered on the bearing post. The entire roof load (14,000lb) is bearing on this one point. It is 190% over limit as is and even with Quad 2x4 as studs it barely passes with 91% load. I still have to open the basement wall because I doubt there is anything of value there either. I can not believe it did not fall in the snow storms ~3 years ago.

I will try to get to some tops in the evenings,
Chris

Attached Thumbnails
load.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 204 Old 05-20-2020, 11:26 AM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris989604 View Post
.. I have an engineering nightmare on a project that takes precedence.
Wow, what a mess. What were the steps that lead up to what we see in the photo? Were you in the middle of a remodeling project that revealed the structural deficiencies?

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
post #198 of 204 Old 05-20-2020, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Wow, what a mess. What were the steps that lead up to what we see in the photo? Were you in the middle of a remodeling project that revealed the structural deficiencies?
Yes,, this home is the poster child for how not to do it.

post #199 of 204 Old 05-20-2020, 07:35 PM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

You can put me on this list for a black top for my 76 CJ5. I've got two brand new BesTop bikini tops, and neither of them fit.

"In the end...It's all Hack."
post #200 of 204 Old 05-20-2020, 10:17 PM
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
I have enough fabric for ~5 tan tops. three are spoken for already.
(Nucking1Futs,,Neuner-9R,,jmoore)

Going forward, i do not mind make a small production run in the spring time if there is demand. If there is enough black request, I am happy to order some fabric and make some tops.

It might take a ~week to make the few request now. I have an engineering nightmare on a project that takes precedence. This 70s house has had walls removed in the past, was built on a 1/2 cdx subfloor and the bottom plate has been butchered on the bearing post. The entire roof load (14,000lb) is bearing on this one point. It is 190% over limit as is and even with Quad 2x4 as studs it barely passes with 91% load. I still have to open the basement wall because I doubt there is anything of value there either. I can not believe it did not fall in the snow storms ~3 years ago.

I will try to get to some tops in the evenings,
Chris
JFC bro, house comes first!!
WTF?! How the hell did that pass any kind of building inspection or home buyers inspection? Is that a splice in the floor joist under the the support of the ridge beam?? JFC!!!
Yeah, you need to tackle that before the roof and floor caves in. I bet you have a sag in the floor. That is an epic nightmare. I feel for your.

Gawd darn, dealing with this, plus three businesses, and you are going to sew some rags for us? Take orders and sew when this is complete man. I feel bad for asking for a top.
I can wait bro, the top is vanity. I will honor my order, but if you can't find the time it is cool. I get it. What you are dealing with is a Health and Safety issue for you and your family.

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

4.2L w/Howell TBI, T5, D300, Dana 30 w/locker/AMC 20 posit, 3.31 gears
post #201 of 204 Old 05-20-2020, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking1Futs View Post
JFC bro, house comes first!!
WTF?! How the hell did that pass any kind of building inspection or home buyers inspection? Is that a splice in the floor joist under the the support of the ridge beam?? JFC!!!
Yeah, you need to tackle that before the roof and floor caves in. I bet you have a sag in the floor. That is an epic nightmare. I feel for your.

Gawd darn, dealing with this, plus three businesses, and you are going to sew some rags for us? Take orders and sew when this is complete man. I feel bad for asking for a top.
I can wait bro, the top is vanity. I will honor my order, but if you can't find the time it is cool. I get it. What you are dealing with is a Health and Safety issue for you and your family.

The area with the new OSB used to have a wall supporting the trusses. Someone put a versa-lam in the attic and the trusses hang from that. What is crazy is the original post still in the sheetrocked wall is holding the header over the top of the green ladder, The versa-lam is bearing on top of the header and then there is another post supporting the ridge beam inthe vaulted room. The entire house is loaded onto two studs sitting on one 2x10. But is gets worse, in the basement it all loads onto ONE 2x4 that has been bored for a 2 in drain.

I have no idea how it did not fall with the earthquake last month or the snow we had a few years ago.

Check this picture out.

the icing on the cake is the wall and jack studs right of the green ladder are supporting 1/2 of the 24' span to the rear and it is all sitting on a single 2x10 (sagged 1 inch) The monkeys that installed the hardwood floor cut up the sub floor and scabbed 2x4 to the joist to make it level.

One huge mess.
Attached Thumbnails
basement.jpg  
post #202 of 204 Old 05-21-2020, 07:20 AM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

Sorry to hear about your construction troubles...sounds like you have a good grasp on how to go about attacking the problems.

PM sent
post #203 of 204 Old 05-21-2020, 08:13 AM
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Yes. Mine is a CJ5. It was my daily for four of the six years that the top has been on it. Mine had the monofilament, that you decided not to use. I had a local upholstery shop resew the seam across the roll bar. It's held up great!

Earth first... We'll Jeep the other planets later.
post #204 of 204 Old 05-22-2020, 10:38 PM
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
The area with the new OSB used to have a wall supporting the trusses. Someone put a versa-lam in the attic and the trusses hang from that. What is crazy is the original post still in the sheetrocked wall is holding the header over the top of the green ladder, The versa-lam is bearing on top of the header and then there is another post supporting the ridge beam inthe vaulted room. The entire house is loaded onto two studs sitting on one 2x10. But is gets worse, in the basement it all loads onto ONE 2x4 that has been bored for a 2 in drain.

I have no idea how it did not fall with the earthquake last month or the snow we had a few years ago.

Check this picture out.

the icing on the cake is the wall and jack studs right of the green ladder are supporting 1/2 of the 24' span to the rear and it is all sitting on a single 2x10 (sagged 1 inch) The monkeys that installed the hardwood floor cut up the sub floor and scabbed 2x4 to the joist to make it level.

One huge mess.
OMG, this is so bad!!! You don't have a mess, you have a total nightmare! You are all dam lucky that house has not caved in!
Time to call lawyers sounds like. It is not if, but when this comes down. You have a serious structural problem.
This ain't no remodel, this is a rebuild. You have to rebuild the center structure whiling supporting the entire house. With your floor joist scabbed, that poses an interesting problem. I don't envy you at all.
Is there any feasible and economical may of repairing that floor joist? Everything else is a PITA, but doable. You need that floor joist support.

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

4.2L w/Howell TBI, T5, D300, Dana 30 w/locker/AMC 20 posit, 3.31 gears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in