Unknown Electronic Module vs ICM - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 11-27-2015, 06:50 AM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Hope you didn't pay too much for the pickup coil, it is a pain to change and a complete remanned distributor for a pre 82 with the larger timing curve only runs about $65.00.
The OEM pickup is FAR FAR superior to any aftermarket made in China piece of junk, same for the ICM. Worth junkyard crawling for a 6 cylinder Ford to get OEM parts.
The test for the pickup coil is to take a multimeter set on ohms and read between the orange and purple wires. It should be around 650 ohms cold. Book says the range is 400-800 ohms, mine failed at 485.
The ground path goes from the distributor hold down foot to the ICM so the closer to the ICM you are when you connect a dedicated ground, the less connections it has to go through.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 11-27-2015, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
bluwavguy
1981 CJ5 

I can return the coil and amazed that there is not a means to replace from the top end vs removal takedown. I'll check the resistance. If good then I'll return it.
Just to confirm. The dedicated ground is best on the ICM side vs the pickup coil?
post #18 of 21 Old 11-27-2015, 07:18 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, Splice in the ground on the harness side to make it easy to replace the module.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #19 of 21 Old 11-27-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
bluwavguy
1981 CJ5 

John, thanks for the confirmation. Once I create a permanent ground post/terminal this will be done. Then back to tuning (timing light will arrive today) and the holley carb adjustments (which the auto choke was adjusted yesterday) but I'm still having issues (backfiring again and not pumping (or too much) on the hills.
I am also curious about changing the vacuum advance from the carb port to manifold (which will require a new port/fitting to be installed unless I can T the existing port I've attached the vacuum gage to...
post #20 of 21 Old 11-27-2015, 08:57 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Sure, "T" it into the vacuum gauge. That would be better than a port that changes pressure when a CTO valve or something opens and drops the pressure.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #21 of 21 Old 11-28-2015, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
bluwavguy
1981 CJ5 

John, will do. I need to run to Lowes to also buy a pipe fitting for the front axle vent system. Assume I can find a t-fitting that will interface to the vacuum system.

The PO left the axle vent port open with nothing to prevent debris from entering it. I discover this when working on replacing the heater hoses and fluid was dripping on the axle housing..and hopefully the antifreeze did not poor into it.

Bought a new vent cap, line, but have yet to locate the 1/16 NPT pipe fitting (5/16 bolt size) as it was not available at the auto parts store.

Tags
electronics , ignition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in