Uncobbling a 1963 willys Jeep pics refurbish build Newbie intro - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 93 Old 06-12-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Uncobbling a 1963 willys Jeep pics refurbish build Newbie intro

Well here it is.......

Any info/critic.....help, suggestions....welcome, I am new to the Jeep and this is my first one.

Soo far I know it is a 1963....oddfire motor.....maybe a t-90,dana 18 with overdrive.......relocated gas tank,....35`s , upgraded steering box.....ugraded wires and fuse box.

I am in my mid 40`s, have worked on many older rides, done construction and currently have a military surplus store, excuse for the Jeep,......I will be using this as a daily driver to and from work and givig it a military type theme.

So far I have rebuilt the carb and removed busted off bolts from the carb mount and sheared bolts from the starter extracted and replaced.

Replaced the ignition key assembly.......anyway, here are some pics to start with.

Attached Thumbnails
P1010039.JPG  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 06-12-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

More pics........
Attached Images

post #3 of 93 Old 06-12-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

More.....
Attached Thumbnails
P1010067.JPG  
Attached Images

post #4 of 93 Old 06-12-2014, 03:01 PM
DanStew
1963 M-38 

Looks good to me. I think at some time the jeep had power steering, the hole in the grill looks to be where the hoses were routed. You have manual saginaw steering now which is still good, because it has linkages than the original . You may want to trim the rear wheelwell, they got eaten by the tires when they flexed real good or go to 33s. Overall it has the goodies alot of people want in an early jeep

Dan Stewart
1991 Wrangler
post #5 of 93 Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 PM
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

looks like you have a great jeep to start with. what direction are you considering for your build?

1966 CJ5A, mods are coming
1966 Wagoneer, bone stock
post #6 of 93 Old 06-12-2014, 09:12 PM
seabass1858

1983 CJ7 

i need a new floor for my 60, wanna trade? lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 93 Old 06-12-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

A basic refurbish with a military style theme......going to park it outside the store for advertising and drive back and forth to work in.

Nothing major....just a clean up....I have done a few body off nut and bolt restorations and do not want to go that direction here........I want to drive it and do some mild off roading in it,,,,I do not want it too nice.

I spent today giving it a slight clean up, so I will have to snap some pics tomorrow.

Needs a steering box rebuild as it is super loose, new seals on most everything.....some sanding and a new coat of lining on the inside....planning on going topless as it never rains here......a few inches here and there, but basically 6 to 9 months without a drop of rain....so I want to protect the inside.

Some light body work and some military OD green paint......basically get all systems back up and working.

Thinking a od green canvas top.....some sort of waterproof seat material.....going to go back to the stock style steering wheel and gauges...take all the offroad lights off the front....uncobble the wires that were added after some one did a pretty good rewire on it.

Possibly get rid of the shackle lift at some point when I need new tires and drop down to 33`s from the 35`s.......I like the look of the 35`s that are on there...but they are too big to actually wheel in as they have already hit the front and rear fenders......definatly do not want to lift it any higher.

I really like the look and stance it has going now.........possible...maybe, a camo paint job or solid od...not sure yet....leaning towards solid od.

I do have some nice waterproof camo material I could use for the seats and roof.....just not sure if that or some od green canvas for the seats and roof...that will probably make the decision if I will camo paint or solid od.

I have had several people say just matte clear it and leave it as is......no rush to decide....will focus on the mechanical reliability before I get too worried about looks.

New steering box is top of the list....probably send it out to be rebuilt as I have no idea what it is......that way it bolts back in with no mods and no extra money spent.

I do know it put a big smile on my face to actually drive it to work today and that was a big part of the reason I got it....so first order of business is a rebuilt/new steering box so I can relax a little driving it and to figure out what threads the shifter knob is as it killed my hand with just the threads....

Definatly a fluid change on everything....one system at a time as I replace the seals/gasketts.

Someone sprayed undercoating all over underneath which makes it look very ruff under there....but that was it`s saving grace was, as it kept the rust to a minimal....other than some surface rust, there is just 1 spot on each side where the pillar comes down that has real cancer.....the rest is very solid.....was super surprised at how little actual cancer it had.

Have not been brave enuff to try out the transfer case or the overdrive yet ......lockers in the front seem nice and smooth to operate, which was also surprising.

I plan to work on it a little each day at work when not busy.....so the pics and updates should stay fairly steady....looks a lot better just from todays work.
post #8 of 93 Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass1858 View Post
i need a new floor for my 60, wanna trade? lol

...been there done that on a 66 chevy truck...will have to post pics some time, after cutting out the cancer......there ended up being more cancer than truck.....layer after layer of patches that just helped keep more moisture and any metal left was just swiss cheese.

New inner and outer rockers...2 new floor pans and a bunch of sheet metal, 2 new kick panels, 2 new a pillars .

It was quite a learning experiance and I had fun.....If nothing else it was good excuse for some nice tools....

Good luck on your quest for a floor!
post #9 of 93 Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 PM
seabass1858

1983 CJ7 

mines just floor. the tub and frame are great

post #10 of 93 Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass1858 View Post
mines just floor. the tub and frame are great

After using the best patch panels I could find for the 66 chevy truck......if I had to do it over, I would probably not use them as they leave alot to be desired in fit and quality......salvaged good metal from a original or start from scratch with some quality sheet metal.....sounds like you are looking for good original metal....which by far, I would think would be the best route to go.

To say I was dissapointed with the aftermarkett patch panels is a understatement....would probably never go that route again...maybe it just happened to be case of the application and what was available....I would definatly want to get hands on in person before ever using a aftermarkett panel again.
post #11 of 93 Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 AM
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

From a safety standpoint, I would install bolts/spacers thru all the open roll bar mounting holes.
Short lengths of pipe spacers in between the bar and the body would fill the gap (and should be there)
The welds to the fender wells shouldn't be trusted.
Maybe some larger reinforcements plates under each bolt on the underside of the wheel well as well.
I'd do that right away.
post #12 of 93 Old 06-13-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Yes, definatly going to do something to beef that up....I do not trust those welds as I did not do them and have no idea how secure they are.

Good news is there is a large rebuilder close to here that will do my steering box rebuild and is a huge outfit that seems reputable........quoted approx 175 and a few hours turn around....sounds like they have the crew and gear to get it done!

The best analogy I found...too bad it is not mine is " It goes down the road like a drug addled water buffalo" ......I thought that to be a spot on analogy of it and mine is exactly like that.
post #13 of 93 Old 06-13-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Did a quick once over on it....pulled the seat covers, pulled the head rests, straightened the lips on the front fenders...added a couple of pouches and put the gas can on temp to try and find a good locatio for it.......
Attached Images

post #14 of 93 Old 06-13-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Ok.....just could not resist a little more spruce up on the rig.

Called the rebuild outfit for the steering box and monday is the soonest...called National carb and they want some pics of the carb and manifold....soonest they can look at them and get back to me is monday.

Decided to just clean the inside up a little.......and we all know how that goes........

Soo off to the store for some 40 grit paper.....and to JUST LOOK at the bedliner stuff......after eying the herc for a while and what memories are left from the last time aromatic chemicals and xylene were involved I decide I might need what few brain cells I had left and opted for the duplicolor stuff with the kevlar fibers......looked a little more forgiving with a water based formula and no pot life.

Well....110 dollars lighter in the pockets I headed back to just see how the paper cut the existing liner that was in there.........the loose stuff fell right off, but the rest of it just laughed at the 40 grit paper.

Being one to not give up....out came the gaskett scraper and razor blades on vice grips.......2 hours later,minus the passenger seat, covered in dirt,old bedliner and orange dust I had made a decent dent in the back, with a little help from my friend..........not bad for just going to get a look at it today!

Keep in mind this is 6 foot outside the front door of my business..... ....needless to say I had plenty of lookers and people stopping .....a respectable pile of dirt in the parking lot and this is busy spot....

Of course we can not just do a quick clean up...in for a penny in for a pound .......so out came the hammer, chisel, block of wood etc and the dents started getting hammered out from the bed.....which keep in mind is fairly loud and in the parking lot next to 2 other retail stores.......

Had to cut it off there as it was getting close to 7pm...closing time and I have no license plate light yet, so this kid has to be home before the street lights come on.

I discovered the bed is in outstanding shape for a 63 and this will do exactly what I wanted and bring in customers.....spent a good portion of the day lifting the hood and talking Jeep to people....the kids point and smile, others just look and older fellas point and look like the kids....got to meet some new people.....all in all this was a good day....starting to really like this Jeep thing.......

I think the Jeep has been a great help in making me smile and be happier than I have been in a while...the Jeep is good on alot of levels.

Pics to follow......
post #15 of 93 Old 06-13-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Before pics........made the buddy stop and told him I did not want to get banned and have rotten fruit thrown at me for not taking pics for the forum....

That and he put the mascott in the drivers seat to oversee the job and run off any would be slackers.She told a guy walking his rottwieler to be on the way with a good growl , but other than that seemed to be unfazed by the sanding and hammering...I would say she likes the Jeep too...or atleast the Jeep seat!
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in