Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Two starter solenoids?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Matt1981CJ7 
#1 ·
I bought a DJ5L with the Iron Duke engine. I bought it sight unseen and the PO said it ran great before installing a new alternator. Well the alternator is original, but it has a brand new starter. The starter has the solenoid pack on top and it's then wired into the old remote solenoid on the wheel well. Should I replace the starter or rewire it all to the new starter with solenoid? I'm very confused and I hate chasing others wiring hiccups

#3 ·
Up to you, but I have found that the it is easier to use the one on the firewall/fender as a good point for power distribution. You can use both just fine, you can hook the the small wire for the new starter to the 'S' terminal on the fenderwell solenoid or directly to the solenoid wire that goes down to the starter. I have 2 for the mopar motor in my Jeep for ease to pull power from a not temperature hot location and not as a ling run from the relocated battery.

#4 ·
You have two solenoids which need to fire up to move the motor. One can break.....

I suggest you wire the large red wire to the other large red wire on the fender solenoid and use just the starter motor solenoid. If you feel more confident in wiring you could wire it up properly, but that will need a new battery cable and relocating the feeds to the fuse box, ignition coil (for starting only) and generator down to the starter motor.

Half my Jeeps have this type of starter motor and they run just fine.

#5 · (Edited)
Adding a Ford style solenoid on early CJ's with the Buick motor was a handy fix for an inherent starting problem using the original wiring. It may be the PO wound up using that technique on this one.

#6 ·
...... PO said it ran great before installing a new alternator. Well the alternator is original, but it has a brand new starter.
You have to love POs.. :smile2:

#8 ·
One day we will all be a PO............:frown2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.