Twin stick shifters - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By trailhead2004

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-29-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Twin stick shifters

Just wondering what would happen if by some chance that you shifted your front axle in low and your rear axle in high.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-29-2019, 06:44 PM
trailhead2004

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Just wondering what would happen if by some chance that you shifted your front axle in low and your rear axle in high.
Something would probably go BANG!!!

Seriously, on the street something would likely go BANG. It might be a u-joint, it might be a fuse in the hubs if you have those installed. Hopefully it wouldn't be anything inside trans or transfer case.

On the dirt, probably bang again but you might make it a few more inches before it went BANG!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 07-29-2019, 07:26 PM
Rtracy2001
1985 CJ7 

I have heard the "BANG" theory, and while I must admit that it is not impossible, I don't think it is the most likely event in most cases. In fact, unless you are speedshifting (and that is unlikely if you are shifting your transfer case) the most likely result is a stalled engine. What you do after the engine stalls will then determine if the next event is BANG or just a little embarrassment. If you are the "when in doubt, gas it out" type, then yes, expect something to go bang.

With the DANA 300, there are interlock pills to prevent locking up the transfer case like that (unless some nitwit has removed them). When I installed my twin stick shifter, I did modify the shift rail to allow front wheel drive high, but left just enough shift rail to engage the pills and prevent shifting the rear axle into low at the same time. Pretty simple mod: http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/dana300/#FWDHi

Every 20 minute job is just one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-29-2019, 07:58 PM
trailhead2004

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtracy2001 View Post
I have heard the "BANG" theory, and while I must admit that it is not impossible, I don't think it is the most likely event in most cases. In fact, unless you are speedshifting (and that is unlikely if you are shifting your transfer case) the most likely result is a stalled engine. What you do after the engine stalls will then determine if the next event is BANG or just a little embarrassment. If you are the "when in doubt, gas it out" type, then yes, expect something to go bang.

With the DANA 300, there are interlock pills to prevent locking up the transfer case like that (unless some nitwit has removed them). When I installed my twin stick shifter, I did modify the shift rail to allow front wheel drive high, but left just enough shift rail to engage the pills and prevent shifting the rear axle into low at the same time. Pretty simple mod: http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/dana300/#FWDHi
Good points Rtracy, but I also think that much of it would also have to do with available horsepower as well as traction. But without question, stalling is certainly a possibility.
Rtracy2001 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-31-2019, 02:51 PM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

I've done it while moving slowly and trying to shift the front from low to neutral. It will bind up and you will stop. If you put enough power to it, something will eventually go bang, but it won't be a u joint; it will be the transfer case.

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in