turn signals - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
flashfludjr
1981 CJ5 

turn signals

I just bought my 81 CJ5 about a week ago and am still working on the little things to get it on the road. the last thing I have to do is the turn signals. I think I have something weird going on. my hazard lights work but my turn signals don't. I assumed it had to be the turn signal switch. I replaced the turn signal switch along with the flasher on the fuse box and same thing... no turn signals but I still have flashers. my arrows in the speed-o flash with the flashers but nothing with turn signals.

Are there any common problems? or is there anything that I am over looking? I dont have my manual yet. it should be here soon so I dont have a wire diagram. if someone has a good readable picture of the turn signal wire diagram it would help alot. thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 03:45 PM
LibertyJeeper
1985 CJ7 

I had some weird problems with my lights too. I disconnected my battery, took off the back of my fuse box on the fire wall and a 3 cans of electric parts cleaner and went to town. It cleared up about half of them. Just put some elctric grease on when you put it back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Just keep in mind: things are never as bad as they seem. These are jeeps, built by man and any problems you come across can be solved by man - even you! Best of luck.
Looking for axles 4.10's or higher
post #3 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
flashfludjr
1981 CJ5 

Already done it.. any other ideas?

post #4 of 6 Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The turn signal and hazards use different fuses. Did you check your fuses?
Sometimes the sockets in the fuse box go bad and the fuse may not be making connection.

Of course with anything 'new to you', you have no idea what the PO did to your jeep before you got it. It could be a cut wire or bad socket. Anything else not working?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 AM
TomCombo
1983 CJ7 

I don't mean to insult anyone, but the key has to be in the run position for the TS to work.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCombo View Post
I don't mean to insult anyone, but the key has to be in the run position for the TS to work.
Good point and also I should mention not to trouble shoot your electrical system without disconnecting the wires (+ and -) from your ignition coil or you can burn up the coil or the ECU if you leave the key in the "on" position without the engine running for a long time.

If not, your next post could be "My engine wont start now" or " One spark of Death"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in