3Likes
  • 1 Post By trailhead2004
  • 1 Post By willyboy123
  • 1 Post By 258

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-07-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
willyboy123

turn signal replacement

how hard is it to replace the turn signal switch? I have a steering wheel puller. what else will i need? Do you fish the wireing harness down the steering column ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-07-2019, 10:51 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyboy123 View Post
how hard is it to replace the turn signal switch? I have a steering wheel puller. what else will i need? Do you fish the wireing harness down the steering column ?
It would help to know what year your Jeep is, they vary greatly from early to late. But that said...

I have done the turn signal switch lately and in the big picture itís not that big of a deal. But there are a few nuances you need to be aware of. My information is based on a 1980 CJ5 with a tilt column.

I like to start by setting the steering wheel and tires straight forward. It helps when you replace the steering wheel later. Marking things with a paint pen ir marker also helps.

Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Remove the horn switch cover and horn switch. Remove the steering wheel.

Next is the more difficult part. You need to remove the lock plate. You can get a tool to press the lock plate down so you can remove the spring clip holding it against the upper bearing preload spring. You can probably borrow the tool at your chain auto parts store but theyíre not very expensive, maybe $20.

Remove the lock plate. Remove the emergency flasher button by unscrewing it from the side of the column.

Thereís a little bit of a trick to removing the turn signal lever if you have a later column with cruise control but the instructions are available on YouTube by searching Chevrolet turn signal switch replacement. Next, unscrew the switch (3 screws) and remove it. I think for the upper right screw you will need to move the switch to the right turn side.

Under the dash attached to the right side of the steering column is the connector for the turn signal switch. Disconnect the connector. If you are sure you want to replace the switch, cut the wires leading up to the steering wheel.

Pull the switch out of the top of the column.

Next, de-pin the connector of the new switch. It will take a real small screwdriver or maybe a paper clip. Tape the ends of the wires into a flat and slide them down the column in the void where the old switch wires pulled up through.

Replace the lock plate and spring clip, then the steering wheel and horn switch and button.

Itís not rocket science, but you need a few tools. Get after it!
RedNeckCorvette likes this.

"Johnny Cash, The Jeep in Black" Build Thread - Started 7 July, 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Bad things happen to you because you're a dumba$$"
Red Foreman
post #3 of 14 Old 06-08-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
willyboy123

1978 cj7 I have one of them depreesing tools for a chevy. I was wondering if that didnt have the same setup. thanks
trailhead2004 likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-08-2019, 11:59 AM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
1978 cj7 I have one of them depreesing tools for a chevy. I was wondering if that didnt have the same setup. thanks
Not sure about a '78, but my guess is after 1975 they are GM columns. Maybe someone else here will chime in and give some better definition.

Bottom line is you'll find out for sure when you get the wheel off.

One other thing, fill in your profile about your Jeep. That was the first place I went when you asked your question. Knowing powertrain and year details helps others better answer your questions.

Best of luck on your task!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Red Foreman
post #5 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 01:24 PM
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
Not sure about a '78, but my guess is after 1975 they are GM columns. Maybe someone else here will chime in and give some better definition.

Bottom line is you'll find out for sure when you get the wheel off.

One other thing, fill in your profile about your Jeep. That was the first place I went when you asked your question. Knowing powertrain and year details helps others better answer your questions.

Best of luck on your task!

GM steering column at least back to 77 and probably 76 as well. I have a non tilt column and not sure if its because yours was tilt but I could slide the whole connector down the column without depinning the plug.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-11-2019, 01:18 PM
1985 CJ7 

It is basically the same to remove when you take the steering wheel off. Remember everything in step by step and take pictures along the way. It took me about 1-1/2 hours to do mine but it went fast. But I used a special tool (Pivot Tool) to ensure the 4 swivel joint screws are TIGHT; that's was on a TILT COLUMN which I see you DO NOT have. That tool will give you access to that area to do that.

The main thing for me was to remove the bracet bolts at bottom of column just below the dash that hold it in place. That alone allowed me to get plenty of room to get in there and slide out the old turn signal harness. Simply reverse the steps to assemble.

BTW, if you have a worn ignition key cylinder, now would be a good time to replace that as well. You are already in there!
John Strenk likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-11-2019, 02:09 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james04si View Post
GM steering column at least back to 77 and probably 76 as well. I have a non tilt column and not sure if its because yours was tilt but I could slide the whole connector down the column without depinning the plug.
Yeah, I think it had to do with the tilt column. I donít remember having to do that on my CJ7 with a non-tilt column either. Believe me, I tried to get the old one out but it wasnít coming. I just figured since the old one was shot anyway, and I could use the connector as a reference for repinning the new one it was easier to just cut the wires on the old one.

Red Foreman
post #8 of 14 Old 06-12-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
willyboy123

well i was able to R and R the turn signal. I have 10 wires on the turn signal but only 8 on the jeep side of the connection. the lite green wire and the black dont connect to anything. any ideas thanks
post #9 of 14 Old 06-12-2019, 11:30 AM
1985 CJ7 

Are you referring to the turn signal switch?
post #10 of 14 Old 06-12-2019, 12:37 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
well i was able to R and R the turn signal. I have 10 wires on the turn signal but only 8 on the jeep side of the connection. the lite green wire and the black dont connect to anything. any ideas thanks
Ignore them. Not sure what they're for, but on my 1980 CJ5, they also didn't go to anything and all my lighting works fine.

Red Foreman
post #11 of 14 Old 06-12-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
willyboy123

ok thanks.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Deer-Slayer_5

I just replaced my signal switch in my 85 tilt column. I know yours is a little different but the things I triple checked were the alignment of the spring plate and the signal cancel cam. There should be a specific grove that the spring plate should fall into on the steering shaft. Also align the steering wheel notch with the notch on the steering shaft. My line was very faint on the steering shaft so if you're not paying attention you could have it on a few degrees off. As the switch it self, three screws hold it in I think. Make sure to unscrew your hazard button. Might need to bend the wires a little to send it up the shaft, but it should be easier than a tilt steering column like mine.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
They are for a key warning buzzer that the CJ doesn't have.

You know, like when you leave your keys in the ignition nd open the doors a buzzer sounds.

post #14 of 14 Old 06-12-2019, 07:03 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
They are for a key warning buzzer that the CJ doesn't have.

You know, like when you leave your keys in the ignition nd open the doors a buzzer sounds.
Thank god!

Red Foreman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in