JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Tremec T-176 Synchro Alignment (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tremec-t-176-synchro-alignment-4431319/)

michael72 04-26-2021 09:19 AM

Tremec T-176 Synchro Alignment
 
1 Attachment(s)
1984 CJ-7

6 Cyl./258

I am trying to get the synchros in my T-176 aligned correctly.

I took it apart and got some help from a previous thread on this and now have 2nd and Reverse.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/n...start-4423177/

Pictures below are of the alignment that got me that result.

Can anyone give me some advice or pictures about the correct alignment?

80cj 04-26-2021 10:40 AM

You have the shifter fork for reverse in the reverse idler groove?

John Strenk 04-26-2021 11:12 AM

I'm not sure what you mean about about alignment.

If they were not put in the right was, you would never get all that in the case.

But from what I see it looks OK.

If you are talking about what position they should be in to make putting the cover back into place, I found that it is easier if the 3-4 synchronizer is in the 3rd gear position. Make sure you put the cover in the 3rd gear position also.

And get that durn reverse idler in the correct position.

michael72 04-26-2021 04:07 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the quick responses.

Configuration may have been the better term.

I think I understand what you guys are talking about.

I also found re-assembly directions in the FSM that will definitely help. I need to familiarize myself with the terminology because I have not worked on transmissions before.

I did not disassemble the transmission, I took the top off by mistake while working on my clutch. Everything was in working order before.

The plan is to work on timing and tuning tomorrow and then get to this. Day off so I may be able to pull this off.

michael72 04-28-2021 09:17 AM

Still working on this disaster:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/o...butor-4424041/

Hope to get it finished and back to this as soon as I can.

michael72 05-03-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Strenk (Post 41258157)
I'm not sure what you mean about about alignment.

If they were not put in the right was, you would never get all that in the case.

But from what I see it looks OK.

If you are talking about what position they should be in to make putting the cover back into place, I found that it is easier if the 3-4 synchronizer is in the 3rd gear position. Make sure you put the cover in the 3rd gear position also.

And get that durn reverse idler in the correct position.

Hello,

Took the top off again and pulled out the FSM.

In the pictures that I posted in the link below have the forks in what I believe to be in the Neutral position and then in 3rd Gear.

I also include a picture of the inside of the transmission as it is currently configured.

I tried to install the cover with the forks in 3rd gear and things were not lining up. I could not get the cover to drop and be for enough forward to line up the bolt holes.

If someone could show me where the 3-4 synchronizer should be and where the "durn" reverse idler should be, it would be a big help.

The pictures also include two pages from the FSM if you would like to point me to something specific.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2YWaQXu8q1jzZZXx7

80cj 05-04-2021 02:47 AM

In the picture in your initial post, the 1-2 and 3-4 synchro sleeves are in the neutral position. When in neutral, the reverse fork is in line with the 1-2 fork so the shifter groove on the reverse sliding gear (not idler as previously mentioned) must also be in line with the 1-2 synchro sleeve groove. There are two bolts (oversized thread shanks) for the shifter cover that keep the cover in alignment. Be sure these are in the correct case holes.
Edit: the reverse slider is in the bottom driver's side of the case and that's why the reverse shifter for is shaped as it is. Because the transmission is sitting at a nose high angle in the Jeep, the reverse slider may tend to slowly slide out of position. Make sure it hasn't slid out of position when you install the shifter. When in reverse, the slider meshes with the teeth on the 1-2 synchro sleeve.

John Strenk 05-04-2021 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by michael72 (Post 41263413)
Hello,

Took the top off again and pulled out the FSM.

In the pictures that I posted in the link below have the forks in what I believe to be in the Neutral position and then in 3rd Gear.

I also include a picture of the inside of the transmission as it is currently configured.

I tried to install the cover with the forks in 3rd gear and things were not lining up. I could not get the cover to drop and be for enough forward to line up the bolt holes.

If someone could show me where the 3-4 synchronizer should be and where the "durn" reverse idler should be, it would be a big help.

The pictures also include two pages from the FSM if you would like to point me to something specific.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2YWaQXu8q1jzZZXx7

It should look like this in 3rd gear. Make sure the cover s in 3rd gear also.

Attachment 3984347

This allows for the forks to clear the narrowing of the opening in the case.

michael72 05-04-2021 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Strenk (Post 41263703)
It should look like this in 3rd gear. Make sure the cover s in 3rd gear also.

Attachment 3984347

This allows for the forks to clear the narrowing of the opening in the case.

I think I understand.

Is this the correct configuration for the forks to be in 3rd gear?

Got some help from JEEPFELLER today and she might be up and running again.

If she starts in the morning and I can get this transmission situated, I can take her for a test drive. First time since September.

Thank you, I will report back.

John Strenk 05-05-2021 03:45 AM

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...1&d=1620178561

That looks more like 4th gear to me.

michael72 05-05-2021 11:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Strenk (Post 41264541)
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...1&d=1620178561

That looks more like 4th gear to me.

I think I am getting it.

Picture #1 - Is the cover in 3rd gear?

Picture #2 - Third-Fourth Gear Clutch Assembly (#3 in FSM) slid back onto the Third-Fourth Synchronizer Spring (#16 in FSM)

Picture # 3 - Third-Fourth Gear Clutch Assembly (#3 in FSM) slid back onto the Third Gear Synchronizer Ring (#5 in FSM)

Do I slide the Third-Fourth Gear Clutch Assembly back to the Third-Fourth Synchronizer Spring or the Third Gear Synchronizer Ring before putting the cover on?

John Strenk 05-05-2021 12:35 PM

Yes
Yes
Yes
No, you don't have to. Put a couple of the bolts with the long shoulder in the proper location and run through all the gear positions to make sure it works.

And I'm stealing your pictures for future use....

michael72 05-06-2021 06:53 PM

Hello,

She is back together and everything works.

As always, thank you very much for your time and help.

John Strenk 05-08-2021 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael72 (Post 41265765)
Hello,

She is back together and everything works.

As always, thank you very much for your time and help.

Thanks for reporting back !!


The time now is 07:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.