Transmission advice needed - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-12-2021, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
leagleagle

Transmission advice needed

I've got a 1985 CJ7 with the T5 transmission. Seems that I need new synchros as 4th isn't smooth shifting into and reverse is popping out.

Seems difficult to find anyone that works on manual transmissions these days though I know I can go that route, but I'm considering my options.

I'm trying to decide whether to put new synchros/rebuild the T5, or while I'm at it do an automatic transmission swap.

I'm looking for advice from those who have done either as well as a ballpark on what I can expect to pay for the automatic swap.

The transmission is behind a SBC 350. Axles are dana 30 front and AMC 20 rear which I also intend to either regear or swap out at some point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-12-2021, 09:25 AM
torkman1983
1983 CJ7 

I rebuilt my T5. It is one of the more difficult trans to rebuild. Doable but somewhat complicated. If I did it again I’d swap the T5 for a T18 or something a bit more reliable. T5 is great but is not the best choice. I never use 5th gear.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-12-2021, 10:16 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

A T-177 or T-176 would work also. Stronger than a T-5 but not as strong as a T-18.
And the T-177/176 would bolt right onto your Dana 300 T-case.

At worst you would need to pick up a new bell housing but those are plentiful to find.

If you are running the 2.73 gearing right now behind that 350, that would explain why the T-5 is failing. You really need to re-gear at some point.
When people put bigger tires an a jeep, they tend to forget that puts more strain on the transmission also.
80cj, STJP and Rondawg80 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 7 Old 10-13-2021, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
leagleagle

I haven't counted splines or anything, but the stamp on my rear differential says I've got 3.31 gears. Either way I need to re-gear.

I've got a friend that has a Dana 44 front and a Dana 60 rear with 4.56 gears and ARB lockers that have already been fit for a CJ7 and with the 5x5.5 lug pattern that I'm going to look at. I'm not sure I need axles that heavy, but the gearing would be nice. I'm not new to working on vehicles, but I'm new to jeeps so I'm not quite sure what else I will need to swap out if I use those axles. I'm guessing I could get the axles for just as cost effectively as re-gearing and putting in one piece axles.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-13-2021, 12:41 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leagleagle View Post
I haven't counted splines or anything, but the stamp on my rear differential says I've got 3.31 gears. Either way I need to re-gear.

I've got a friend that has a Dana 44 front and a Dana 60 rear with 4.56 gears and ARB lockers that have already been fit for a CJ7 and with the 5x5.5 lug pattern that I'm going to look at. I'm not sure I need axles that heavy, but the gearing would be nice. I'm not new to working on vehicles, but I'm new to jeeps so I'm not quite sure what else I will need to swap out if I use those axles. I'm guessing I could get the axles for just as cost effectively as re-gearing and putting in one piece axles.
I would rebuild the T-5 in that case as you'll need the overdrive. And maybe some taller tires.

Ask him what side the differential is on the Dana 44 if that is the front axle.
the CJ has a passenger side diff.

And ask him how wide these axles are from backplate to backplate.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #6 of 7 Old 10-13-2021, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
leagleagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I would rebuild the T-5 in that case as you'll need the overdrive. And maybe some taller tires.

Ask him what side the differential is on the Dana 44 if that is the front axle.
the CJ has a passenger side diff.

And ask him how wide these axles are from backplate to backplate.
The axles were fit for and customed for a CJ7 in the past. They are already set up for bolt in install as far as width and differential location.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-14-2021, 10:58 AM
RiverandSand
1980 CJ5 

Garage
With the SBC you have much better choices than a T5, NV 3550, 4500 or AX15 all are 5spds. The Ax15 is a jeep trans and will bolt up to your xfer case but will need an adapter to bolt to the SBC. The NV4500 will bolt up to the SBC but will need an adapter to bolt up the xfer case. The NV3550 will need adapters for both. Novak adapters has a good write up on all the above.
I believe the AX15 is close to the same length as the T5, so you not need new drive lines. With SBC (even if it slightly warmed up) and bigger tire the T5 will become the weakest link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in