Toxic CJ-7 Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 108 Old 03-03-2008, 08:02 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

You guys are sissies!!

I shaved my 14 bolt with a 7" angle grinder.. while laying under the axle on my back. I didn't want to pull it from under my rig so I did it the hard/stupid way.

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 03-03-2008, 08:12 PM
jason m
Nothing but the facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
You guys are sissies!!

I shaved my 14 bolt with a 7" angle grinder.. while laying under the axle on my back. I didn't want to pull it from under my rig so I did it the hard/stupid way.
7'' grinder are for girls step up to a 9'' and then call back. that sucks when you go thru all trouble of building the axle then forgot about shaving the thing the easy way. i did mine the same way ( minus the grinder ), did all the link and tube work then installed it. then did the shave " the hard way ". so lessen here kids shave your axles outside of installing them, jason.

1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt...

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

post #93 of 108 Old 03-08-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well the build might take a twist here. I found a wrecked TJ for sale. bent frame in the front. I'm trying to work a trade out with the guy and if it goes through then I'm selling him the CJ and taking his tj and some cash in hand. So the build has been put on hold until I work out the details. I'll keep you posted.

Todd

BUY IT DONT' BUILD IT!! You will be money and time ahead. (Flip off)

post #94 of 108 Old 03-08-2008, 12:46 PM
jason m
Nothing but the facts

heres a few pictures, there not the best but i had to do them before the rain started agin. i used all allen head bolts near the botton and going half way up the sides. the last 14 bolt i didn't and the bolts where near impossable to get out. so im hopping the allen bolts get banged up as much. what ever you do get a 3/8 thick cover, i used ruffstuff covers. they hold out the best and help the bottom lip from getting ground down. i do have one more picture from the bottom of the jeep, but i need to crop it. heres some more to come, jason.
Attached Thumbnails
jeep 3.jpg   jeep 2.jpg  

1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

post #95 of 108 Old 03-08-2008, 12:58 PM
jason m
Nothing but the facts

this is the last one. the piece on the bottom that looks like a wedge that's the bottom bolt. i alway leave a little meat around that area to protect it, jason.
Attached Thumbnails
jeep 4.jpg  

post #96 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pictures!!

This thread is about to take a twist. I just sold the CJ for a TJ. I'll post up pics of it here in a bit. I'll be starting a new thread since the build will no longer be on a CJ frame. Thanks for all of the help up to this point and I hope for continued help

Todd

post #97 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well........Here the new project sits in all it's glory I just need to find time to drive to TX and pick it up

post #98 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic TJ View Post
Well........Here the new project sits in all it's glory I just need to find time to drive to TX and pick it up
sorry, but you can't get off that easy...

What's the story behind it all?

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement

Last edited by JoonHoss; 03-11-2008 at 09:52 AM.
post #99 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
sorry, but you can get off that easy...

What's the story behind it all?

Hoss

Well........Here is how it all went down. I was fishing on Pirate about a year ago and found a great deal on a set of axles. Locked. Geared. With 5 wheels and 38.5" tires. Highsteer set up. It was a 44 front and a 9" rear. Gave 1500 for them then decided it was time to find a rig to slap them under. Found the "Toxic CJ" on Ebay had a buddy who was going to VA pick it up for me and I was set. Then I thought.......Ya know that set up isn't that far off from what I have in the "Toxic TJ". Why would I want 2 of the same thing. So I sold off the axles wheels and tires for the same price I gave for them and bought a set of 1 tons off of jeepnazi on here. Then I had to look for tires. Bought the 42's. Then the TBI350. Then the 700r4. I got a dana 300 off of jeep nazi too with twin sticks. NOW I was ready to build a REAL rig. But I've had leaf sprung rigs all my life. I'm not all that wild about the aproach you get with them. I found this wrecked TJ on Ebay last week. Told the guy if he would trade me jeeps and slide me some cash I would take it off his hands. The only real reason is that I was going to coil over the CJ and to be honest with you their frames just are not as good as the YJ's or TJ's. I was going to build a new tube frame but after priceing it out just the cost of the tube etc. I was dollars ahead looking for a TJ. And since I had to put tube fenders on the front anyhow. It didn't matter that this one has a trashed fender. It does suck that I'll have to buy a hood but oh well. So there it is in a nut shell. I'll now be building on a TJ because of the stronger frame if nothing else. It's a 4 cyl. stick but that doesn't matter since it will have to all come out for my 350/700r4.

post #100 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I forgot to mention that It has a clean title. The guy owned it outright and didn't turn it in so when I'm done I won't have a salvaged title. That was huge to me. But I do have a ton of stuff if a guy wants to go sprung over. I have a BTF front and rear full width stretch kit. With XJ springs for the Rear and RE 2.5" YJ's for the front. As well as a M.O.R.E traction bar. All of it is brandnew if you know of anyone going full width soon.

Todd

post #101 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
MR.CLIFFORD

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
This is going to be fun.
post #102 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
burtonsnowman
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic TJ View Post
I forgot to mention that It has a clean title. The guy owned it outright and didn't turn it in so when I'm done I won't have a salvaged title. That was huge to me. But I do have a ton of stuff if a guy wants to go sprung over. I have a BTF front and rear full width stretch kit. With XJ springs for the Rear and RE 2.5" YJ's for the front. As well as a M.O.R.E traction bar. All of it is brandnew if you know of anyone going full width soon.

Todd
I want your stuff! But shoot, you're so far, shipping would kill the deal...dang.

Well, PM me with an asking price if you would be so kind, and I guess I'll see.

- Red '84 CJ-7 - I'll build it someday! I have the parts, but no shop and no time! :(
- Black '78 J-10 - rollin' on 37s and SOA with front/rear Detroits, high-steer, etc.
- Green '93 ZJ - Crusty old PARTS-GIVER TO THE CJ!
"Six in a row makes it go"
...and a driveway full of Subarus...
post #103 of 108 Old 04-18-2008, 04:23 PM
simpsonsdotcom

Why do you have to shave the bottom of the 14 bolt. just bought a 14 bolt and front dana 60 from local guy will i need to shave it to put it into my tj?
post #104 of 108 Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsonsdotcom View Post
Why do you have to shave the bottom of the 14 bolt. just bought a 14 bolt and front dana 60 from local guy will i need to shave it to put it into my tj?
it just gives you more clearance, and less chance of getting hung up on something.

oh, and Toxic, we're going to need an update, please and thank-you.

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #105 of 108 Old 04-18-2008, 06:05 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
it just gives you more clearance, and less chance of getting hung up on something.

oh, and Toxic, we're going to need an update, please and thank-you.

Hoss

He sold the CJ and resumed the buildup with a TJ.. over in the TJ Forum.

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in