Tow hitch bar - Help - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By CJ7-Tim
  • 1 Post By Axhammer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
pipesbull1

Tow hitch bar - Help

New to Forum and needing help... Wanted to check with the experts on what tow hitch set would be the best for a 1981 CJ7 jeep. Looking to pull a seadoo.

Appreciate any assistance and suggestions. Have a great day!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 10:49 AM
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

Tow hitch bar - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipesbull1 View Post
New to Forum and needing help... Wanted to check with the experts on what tow hitch set would be the best for a 1981 CJ7 jeep. Looking to pull a seadoo.

What does your bumper look like?

Here is my setup, pin behind bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 11:05 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Some CJ trailer hitches mount to the rear crossmember, and some mount to the frame rails. Frame rail mounted hitches are best.
Cutlass327 likes this.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 11:27 AM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
My 1986 CJ-7 came with a factory tow bar that worked fine for me. I towed a three rail motorcycle trailer with a Honda XL600 on it from Mobile AL to Port Angeles WA in the summer of 1986. Then in PA, I towed a 16í aluminum runabout boat with a 55 HP (three cylinder) outboard motor on it. There were two lakes about twenty miles from town that I used that boat for water skiing every summer. One time, a reservistís car broke on the way to PA to do his weekend duty, it was a Ford Mustang, I think it was a 1969, but Iím not sure. We rented a uhaul car dolly and I towed his Mustang on that dolly, from Sequim WA to his house near Seattle using my CJ-7. It had a all stock 258, manual 4 speed with overdrive, and 411 gears on 31ís at the time.
Cutlass327 likes this.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #5 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 02:18 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipesbull1 View Post

My recommendation is to avoid any hitch which is primarily attached to the rear cross member. While my circumstance is different than you described (towing the Seadoo), the rear crossmember isnít ideal for attaching a hitch.

My circumstance was towing a heavy trailer with a bit of tongue weight and also putting a dirt bike on a Joe Hauler. My hitch is built into the bumper which was bolted to the rear crossbrace. The weight on the hitch torqued the bumper down and started to crack the mounting holes in the crossbrace. I will be replacing the crossbrace when I get back to the frame work on my rebuild.

Obviously, it was a user error, but others may think the crossbrace can handle it but it canít.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
pipesbull1

I don't have it at my house. Appreciate your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in