2Likes
  • 1 Post By agear
  • 1 Post By Doright

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Yavapai

Garage
Timing cover oil pan seal

Hi guys, I'm trying to install the timing cover on my 1980 CJ5 inline 6, and can't get the cover to line up with the bolt holes on the block when I use the rubber gasket that installs between the timing cover and the oil pan. I'm using a fel pro gasket kit.

When using the rubber gasket, I can muscle the cover down by installing the oil pan bolts first, which gets a few of the cover's upper bolt holes to align, but not the other holes. I was hoping to get the bolts in loosely, so I can use the harmonic balancer to center it. That doesn't seem remotely possible when using the rubber gasket.

Is there some trick I'm missing in how to do this? I'm thinking I may have to just put a layer of RTV black on the top lip of the pan. If that doesn't work, I guess I could drop the oil pan.

I would appreciate anyone's advice and suggestions.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 07:03 AM
agear
1984 CJ7 

You used the multi- piece oil pan gasket ? I dont reccomend that one. I reccomend the 1 piece rubber one for the oil pan. I always put the timing cover on first too.

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Yavapai

Garage
It is a single rubber strip, maybe 9 or 10 inches long, with holes for the bolts, and little rubber spikes that fit into little holes on the bottom of the timing cover, to hold it in place.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 09:10 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

Hi is this a fresh build or just the timing cover replacement? You might have to loosen all the pan bolts then install the cover and re tighten the pan.
good luck
tim
post #5 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 10:35 AM
agear
1984 CJ7 

You shouldn't need it. If you have the one piece blue rubber oil pan gasket then the oil pan gasket seals it. You can see the blue gasket of the oil pan right ? On the front going across the oil pan
pedal2themetai likes this.

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Yavapai

Garage
I'm just doing the timing cover. The pan has no other gasket between it and the timing cover, so I'm thinking it has the two piece gasket on it.

Assuming I can't get the rubber gasket to work, does anyone have an opinion about me just using a pretty thick layer of RTV black or grey between the oil pan and the timing cover? I've heard the grey is better than the black, but I've only ever used black before, and then just to coat gaskets. Are there any tricks to just using RTV?

Another idea (I know, I have some crazy ideas) is to use a strip of rubber from a bike inner tube, because it would be a little thinner than the rubber gasket that came with the fel pro kit, and then RTV on the inner tube. I don't know how the rubber would hold up to the heat and vibrations and oil, etc. in an engine, so I probably wouldn't go that route unless people on here with tons of experience thought it was a brilliant idea.

Thanks for every one's input so far.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-08-2020, 08:25 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

Hi If you can .. can you get some pictures of what your up against? picture of the pan spot and gaskets your using and the bottom of the timing cover.
Picture are worth a zillion words.. and give us a better chance of helping you.
good luck
tim
post #8 of 12 Old 06-08-2020, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Yavapai

Garage
I'll try and snap some pics. Thanks!
post #9 of 12 Old 06-08-2020, 10:19 AM
Doright
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavapai View Post
I
Assuming I can't get the rubber gasket to work, does anyone have an opinion about me just using a pretty thick layer of RTV black or grey between the oil pan and the timing cover?

DO NOT DO THIS!
The RTV will fail with heat and hot oil start leaking and fall into pan to be picked up by oil pick up and Clog it up starving your engine of oil.

I never liked the Timing cover only seal kits my self, doing this requires you to use pry bars to compress rubber lip seal and as you already know hard to line up bolt holes.
I prefer the better option too drop the Oil pan out install timing cover with new seals and gaskets and reinstall pan with new gaskets seals.

Last edited by Doright; 06-08-2020 at 10:20 AM. Reason: info
post #10 of 12 Old 06-08-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Yavapai

Garage
Thanks Doric.

If I were to use a pry bar, any suggestions on how to do it? I don't want to crack of bend the aluminum timing cover. I already tried with a 2x4 a few days ago, but couldn't find any good points in the engine area to pivot it against.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-08-2020, 08:46 PM
Doright
1981 CJ7 

I wouldnt do it you could damage the bolt holes. Pull the oli pan instal timing cover then install pan correct way to do job
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-09-2020, 01:19 AM
agear
1984 CJ7 

Use the 1 piece pan gasket is it's way better and comes with dowels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in