Throwing Chicken Bones at the Wall - JeepForum.com
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 08-05-2020, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Alabamacj71981

Throwing Chicken Bones at the Wall

So, I’m about 3 years into my CJ ownership. I love my Jeep and will never sell it. Not into flipping or anything like that. Got the suspension redone, tires, brakes, T/C, transmission, etc. I’ve gutted out the inside and am wrapping up the dash. Keeping all the awful lighting and gauges cause it is charming as hell with all the inefficiencies. Fixing some engine issues but expecting to come out of the summer with this thing mostly where I want it - reliable and at a presentable state reflecting a mostly OEM look. She is not perfect but she has teeth. I plan on enjoying just driving and tinkering. Maybe a rewiring event or cabin heating deep dive will fill my hunger in the coming year or two when I want to pull something apart. But after year five, when your mostly there with your project, what typically happens to the guys in the CJ forum?

What do most of you do upon getting her close to your desired state? Do you guys mostly go wheeling? Get another type of CJ that interests you? Drive her for groceries and tinker until in between the other life requirements satisfied with all the challenges? Start to upgrade performance through Clifford Performance type sites? Buy a newer model Jeep and learn those challenges?

Would be fascinated to hear from you guys on your take on where this usually leads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-05-2020, 04:17 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Usually procrastinate...

See, I have two Jeep projects at one time

That way I can procrastinate on Jeep project "A" by messing around on Jeep project "B"
When I get tired of working on Jeep project "B" I can waste time by working on Jeep project "A"
That way I can be twice as productive while doing nothing but procrastinate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 29 Old 08-05-2020, 04:43 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I buy more Jeeps.

I am like John, always Jeep projects waiting for me to do something. It was only with COVD-19 that I found the time to get them all running at the same time.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

post #4 of 29 Old 08-05-2020, 04:57 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My CJ2A (47) is mainly a fun knock around Jeep, car meets etc. has a well used look (I use the YJ for offroad). Another guy on the local circuit took a 51 M38 military and did a a beautiful fairly authentic body restoration with more modern running gear, always doing some form of upgrade (he has personally owned it for 50 years).

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #5 of 29 Old 08-05-2020, 06:16 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

For me it was a one and done deal. My CJ was my Father's from new. When he died in 1994 I bought it from my Mother, because it was the material item that reminded me of my Father the most. It sat in my barn for over a decade, while other life pursuits took precedent. In 2011, on my CJ's 30th birthday, I rolled it out of the barn, and began the restoration project. 2 years later, my CJ had a new suspension, new tires, a rebuilt V8 engine, new transmission, and a fresh new paint job inside and out...among other smaller upgrades like lighting relays, dual batteries, and a refurbished 8274 winch. She's not showroom pretty, but she's 100% operational with all factory gauges still working, and she turns a lot of heads when I take her to town.

The whole time I was working on my CJ, I could feel my Father watching over my shoulder with a smile on his face. Now that she's done, I think about my Father every time I get behind the wheel and take her for a spin. It was my first attempt at car restoration, and I learned a ton. One thing I learned was I didn't want a steady diet of it. Another restoration project just wouldn't have the same appeal to me.

Now, I mostly try to reciprocate for all the help and information that I received from folks, here. I enjoy passing on what I've learned, and adding to my knowledge from some of the highly talented people who visit this forum.

Matt

post #6 of 29 Old 08-05-2020, 01:01 PM
Timaaaay83
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Usually procrastinate...

That way I can procrastinate on Jeep project "A" by messing around on Jeep project "B"
When I get tired of working on Jeep project "B" I can waste time by working on Jeep project "A"
I'm on year 5 of my frame up and can vouch for the procrastinate comment. My procrastination go-to is the Jeepforum rabbit hole that I usually fall into.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-05-2020, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Alabamacj71981

Quote:
Usually procrastinate...

Brilliant! I like that.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-05-2020, 05:55 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
There's a few things I'd like to do to 'Black Betty' but she's street/trailable. Until I get back to full time and off this furlough I can just budget for food and mortgage thanks to the Covid and the expiration of the $600 enhancement.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #9 of 29 Old 08-06-2020, 04:09 PM
Capt_Drake

1986 CJ7 

Every time I go out wheeling another issue comes up, so I never get done.

post #10 of 29 Old 08-06-2020, 04:51 PM
Nor Cal CJ5

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamacj71981 View Post
So, I’m about 3 years into my CJ ownership. I love my Jeep and will never sell it. Not into flipping or anything like that. Got the suspension redone, tires, brakes, T/C, transmission, etc. I’ve gutted out the inside and am wrapping up the dash. Keeping all the awful lighting and gauges cause it is charming as hell with all the inefficiencies. Fixing some engine issues but expecting to come out of the summer with this thing mostly where I want it - reliable and at a presentable state reflecting a mostly OEM look. She is not perfect but she has teeth. I plan on enjoying just driving and tinkering. Maybe a rewiring event or cabin heating deep dive will fill my hunger in the coming year or two when I want to pull something apart. But after year five, when your mostly there with your project, what typically happens to the guys in the CJ forum?

What do most of you do upon getting her close to your desired state? Do you guys mostly go wheeling? Get another type of CJ that interests you? Drive her for groceries and tinker until in between the other life requirements satisfied with all the challenges? Start to upgrade performance through Clifford Performance type sites? Buy a newer model Jeep and learn those challenges?

Would be fascinated to hear from you guys on your take on where this usually leads.
Great question!!!

My Dad bought my Jeep back in 1978 with 47,000 miles on it. It now has 57,000 miles on it. It is used at our Ranch (in the middle of "Willys America") and we (I) drive it only off road to hunt about 200 miles a year. I've used the Jeep for the last 42 years and as the "car guy"(my father wasn't) I've taken care of it with tune ups and oil changes and the other minor things required over the last 42 years. But now it is time for a major maintenance and I'm in the first year... Such therapy it has been to work, learn and repair this Jeep.

My Dad is still with us - 90 years old - and for all intensive purposes I'm the only one who has been driving it for years, but he told me he was giving it to me and handed over the Jeep to me officially recently.

I hope he gets to see it in a few more years when it will be closer to finished, as it will always be "Dad's Jeep"

After almost a year in the garage, it will be back on the road soon. More to come.

So since I've been 15 years old - there has always been a car, jeep, truck, motorcycle to keep me going.

I hope the Jeep takes me for a long ride.

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans
post #11 of 29 Old 08-06-2020, 05:24 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Usually procrastinate...

I have 87 and 94 projects. The 87 was a big project to get it running correctly and on the road from it sitting so long. The 94..... been in and out of that one for many reasons. Still has the body off and been frustrating at times. Trying to pick up a CJ-5 now with no engine, trans or transfer on the cheap. I need one more diversion.

Your plan is solid. It may require another Jeep or two though.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #12 of 29 Old 08-06-2020, 09:13 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Iím always finding something to add. Just last week in prep for the archery hunts I added a pair of Corbeau Baja XRS suspension seats and HOLY CRAP itís like a whole new Jeep. I love the look and the comfort of the ride is night and day. I canít believe I didnít do this a LONG time ago.

Now I usually pick one major upgrade a year and the rest of the money goes into keeping her running. (There is always something that acts up) Mine gets into the hills for the hunts a few times a year and the rest of the time is an around town cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want my two dollars!
post #13 of 29 Old 08-08-2020, 08:21 AM
braindamage

1978 CJ5 

Garage
I’m not a “car guy” but grew up with gear heads and a best friend who is a crazed Jeep-er.

I bought mine at a fundraiser auction and then rebuilt her with my then 15 yo son. Every time I drive her or see my son taking her out I’m reminded of it and I smile.

Mine is really a convertible disguised as a Jeep, though I do take her off-road 1/yr with my wrenchin’ buddies and family (see pic from this year). Funny thing is, the first year I was the only CJ, now there are 2 more and mine is the smallest. Tons of fun!

I fix what breaks, which usually is something every year. Other than that I’m happy with how she is.
Attached Thumbnails
C44D81C9-E0DE-4786-98AB-3B2839C2C327_1596923383511.jpg  
Attached Images

Rsb201 likes this.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-08-2020, 04:53 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

One of the things that has happened to me from the very beginning with a frame off on my Jeep, and now some ongoing upgrades after it's done, is a continuing experience of making new friends through this forum and beyond. As Matt mentioned after getting his done I too feel a need to try to be helpful and repay the help I've gotten from some great people on here. I've been a member here since 2009 and seen allot of people come and go, that bothers me to see people just drop off and not see them anymore. I'm sure you guys that have been here a while understand that. Then someone from the past pops in and I'm glad to see them. I have also had the great honor of meeting members in person. That makes for quite a list.

So now what? What I've always wanted to do since I was a kid. I had visions of owning a Jeep back then but never felt they were practical enough to justify buying. I was 40 years old when I finally owned the one I have now. I remember last dear season sitting in my stand watching some deer on the other side of the creek and not taking a shot because of how much work it would be to get it out. I told myself if the Jeep was done I could drive right to it. Not so in a full size truck, even 4 wheel drive. I've had many thoughts like that. Now it's on the road and it's even more fun to have than I thought. Just the other day I taught 5 of our grandkids ranging in ages from 12-22 how to drive a Jeep with a manual transmission. They all loved it. Things like that plant a seed in the minds of young people that anything in life worth having is worth putting time and hard work into. So long live the AMC Jeeps we have kept running and the ongoing part of life at friendship!

God bless America and all of you!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
003 (7).jpg  

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #15 of 29 Old 08-08-2020, 05:32 PM
agear
1984 CJ7 

As far as almost having the jeep where you want it. Things pop up like a pinion seal will start leaking . Long story short if theres room for improvement theres something to do it. Speaking from a tinkerers point of view there are things to re-do. And yes now that I have traction devices I will wheel it and everything is fairly tight. Then theres greasing all your fittings ,changing your oil. Changing air filters. One thing I thought about doing is drilling my aftermarket black wagon wheels and using the factory chrome center caps. Or maybe find ssd ome good chrome original laredo wheels and so on.
J(ust)E(mpty)E(very)P(ocket).. I enjoy tinkering with it especially if theres a performance pay off

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in