Thoughts on putting a 4.2L V6 & manual transmission from a 1997 F150 in my '66 CJ5? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-09-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Swint
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thoughts on putting a 4.2L V6 & manual transmission from a 1997 F150 in my '66 CJ5?

So I've got a '66 CJ5 my son and I are rebuilding. It does not have an engine. I was thinking of acquiring a 4x4, manual transmission truck/SUV as a parts car for the CJ5. I found a well running F150 in my area for super cheap and everythign seems to be running great on it. Thoughts? Is it difficult putting one of those engines in the Jeep?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-11-2020, 04:30 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Tdouble post

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 7 Old 08-11-2020, 04:31 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This is the first time i have heard this one suggested. That suggests it is not ideal and will need bespoke parts that no on ehas made before $$$$.

The problem with swaps in a CJ5 are the narrow rails and the short length, many swaps are not possible because the combined engine/ transmission / transfer case are just too long.

A V makes it a little more feasible but you need to get a measurement on the drivetrain length.

Transfer case - is the F150 transfer case a driver side drop to the front axle? Is your CJ5 passenger side drop? If so, the transfer case by itself will be of little use unless you swap out the front end, a major job. Your existing transfer case may need an adapter but I am unaware if one exists.

As a modern engine you will need to capture all the engine management stuff and fuel injection.

It may work, but a SBC has been done so many times. Novak Transmissions is a good source of free info on Jeep swaps.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

post #4 of 7 Old 08-11-2020, 05:21 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Obtaining a cheap engine is never a good reason to swap it in. Unless it is an established swap motor, it will cost you vastly more in time and effort than a more expensive but popular swap power plant.

While upgrading the T86/90 transmission and somewhat anemic 134 four cylinder is a big step in performance, be aware pre 72 CJ's are acutely sensitive to drivetrain length. Virtual none of the modern combos are short enough to fit.

Honestly, for anything before 72, an older Buick odd or even fire or a Chevy 4.3 V6 is the easiest and most doable swap. older modern four cylinders are also good as well as many of the smaller 4 cylinder diesels. All of these have been done with varying degrees of effort. While getting rare, the Buick 225 V6 was an optional engine offered for the 65-71 models and was a great performer.

Any larger engines should be mated with an upgraded transmission as well.

The stock D18 transfer case is stout and with the offset rear axle, would be my t case of choice.

As Bagus stated, the Novak knowledge center is a great research.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #5 of 7 Old 08-11-2020, 08:37 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

As said above, I would choose a combination that has been done before. Even older engines with modern throttle body EFI conversions are great. We are getting ready to put a Holley Sniper on my son's 1966 Mustang.

If you can go a little bigger, a SBC will have lots of support by the companies that support engine swaps (Novak and Advanced Adapter).

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...ine-conversion

It is good to go with something that is known to work because you do not want to put hundreds of hours into a project only to loose interest and sell it at a loss if it becomes too difficult or expensive to complete.

Start a thread when you start your swap and let us follow along.

Good luck.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-12-2020, 10:27 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

SBC or Chevy 4.3 are basically the same with the 4.3 being shorter. As said, the SB into early CJ's was a popular conversion and is known to fit.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-12-2020, 11:07 AM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Look for a 4.3 5 speed 4x4 S-10 for the drive train, you may have to source another
transfer case depending on what side drop you need.

The S-10s can be found cheap, and you'll have the ECU and everything to swap into the jeep.

Whats over that next ridge?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in