• 1 Post By Matt1981CJ7
  • 1 Post By Cutlass327

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

For those who have rebuilt/restored an 8274

I am getting the workbench cleared enough to hopefully start disassembly of mine, and was wondering what y'all used to keep the aluminum from oxidizing again once it is cleaned up. Is there a good fizz-can clear coat to put on that will stick and is all-weather? I don't plan to do anything extravagant, just some good wire brushing unless I find someone to media blast the parts, but I don't want it to look pasty white from oxidation again.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 10:17 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Not a spray alternative that I know of, UV is some strong stuff and will attack even the best of regular paints. If you can get by with a coating of some kind besides clear over cleaned up aluminum, have you looked into Cerakote? It is generally a very thin coating so you won't need to worry about bearing fits, etc. It comes in many different colors, including several different silvers.

Just a thought.
Jon In Tucson likes this.

"Johnny Cash, The Jeep in Black" Build Thread - Started 7 July, 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Bad things happen to you because you're a dumba$$"
Red Foreman
post #3 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 PM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Looking for something like Sharkhide coating? I have no personal experience with it so I donít know how long it will last.
y2k-fxst likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 01:46 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I used VHT cast aluminum engine paint on mine, and have been pleased with how well it's held up.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
WinchRestore3.jpg   WinchRestore6.jpg  
Cutlass327 and jeepster4245 like this.

post #5 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 02:18 AM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

When I rebuilt my last 8274 to mount in a portable carrier/mount, I media blasted the brake assembly, then had it cadmium plated:

The gear housing, end mount, carrier, and drum, I had powder coated:

I didn't go to the extent of taping off the ribs or polishing them, that a lot of people have.

This winch doesn't sit in the weather, so it'll say out of the sun most of it's life.

The 8274 on the front of my CJ5, is still all original. But the Jeep spends most of it's life inside a garage out of the sun.

Honestly, I've seen a lot of good resto's done with regular paint.

"In the end...It's all Hack."
post #6 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 AM
caseypotts
1980 CJ7 

Hummmm...who do I hate more, Matt or Hack...Matt or Hack... Man those are really nice 8474's!
post #7 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 08:14 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
Garage Racer

1978 CJ5 

Aside from aesthetics, which do matter, make sure if you have the original pinion gear on the motor, that it's in good shape. They like to break those little teeth off where the release yoke rides in the groove (if you even have that style pinion gear). Later model pinion gears have a solid machined ring for the yoke to ride, no little teeth to break off. I found 4 of those little teeth in the bottom of the case of mine when I performed a receiving inspection of it last month.

The original pinion gears that fit a keyed motor shaft are no longer available from Warn. If you have that situation you must replace the motor with a splined shaft version and order a splined pinion gear to fit it (which are commonly available all over the place).

That's all I have to contribute because that's all that was wrong with my 1977 model 8274. Mine looked to have the original 30 wgt motor oil in it put there by Warn in 77'. I'm sure it had been changed plenty of times but the unit looked untouched and original. Very well taken care off. Love mine!
Jon In Tucson and Cutlass327 like this.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
post #8 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 08:48 AM
Jon In Tucson
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ5 

When I rebuilt/restored my 8274, I media blasted the covers, drum, and brake assemblies. Rattle canned the drum and ratchet wheel, and used a clear enamel on the gear case and brake halves. Added a little red here and there for contrast...
When it is said that this winch has the fastest retrieve of all, they weren't kidding. I spooled 150' of new wire rope in no time. It'a great winch.
Jon In Tucson

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jeremiah 17:7 "But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence in Him."

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
post #9 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 12:46 PM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseypotts View Post
Hummmm...who do I hate more, Matt or Hack...Matt or Hack... Man those are really nice 8474's!
If you really gotta hate on someone, here's your guy: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/jus...f-pics.241652/

He brought a pair of 8274's back from the dead.

Matt's 8274 is a beautiful resto. Mine is just a resto-mod. And although it's not perfect, it was a lot of fun to do. And as expected, I accumulated a couple specialty tools in the process...

So Cutlass327: Get on in there and tear it apart!

BTW: 92' of 1/2" synthetic rope just fits on the drum.

"In the end...It's all Hack."
post #10 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The beauty of the 8274 is its simplicity, IMO. And the fact that Warn has been manufacturing the same basic design for 50 years is very telling.

I was lucky with mine. My Father bought it new in 1979. Although we've used it a lot, it has never sat outdoors for any lengthy period, and we've always kept a cover on it. So, it was in relatively good shape when I refreshed it. The only thing I had to replace was the seal between the drum and gear case. Otherwise, I just cleaned it up, sprayed a little paint on the case, drum, and motor, put it back together with new oil, and it was done.

I've since upgraded to the synthetic cable, which I should have done years ago.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
8274Rebuild5.jpg   8274Rebuild6.jpg   8274Rebuild7.jpg   WinchRestore4.jpg   WinchRestore1.jpg  

WinchRope1.jpg  

post #11 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 02:37 PM
caseypotts
1980 CJ7 

Yep...a very nice looking 8274. I stand by my earlier statement on both of your guys build/resto-mods. Very Nice.
I got lucky on my and didn't have to do much more then clean it up...even the bottom section is a very close match to my paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
If you really gotta hate on someone, here's your guy: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/jus...f-pics.241652/

He brought a pair of 8274's back from the dead.

Matt's 8274 is a beautiful resto. Mine is just a resto-mod. And although it's not perfect, it was a lot of fun to do. And as expected, I accumulated a couple specialty tools in the process...

So Cutlass327: Get on in there and tear it apart!

BTW: 92' of 1/2" synthetic rope just fits on the drum.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Wow. those all are beautiful! Thinking I'll just get some aluminum paint and go that route then.

Mine was a trailer winch for a lot of its life I guess - my neighbor had it given to him by his relative who used it on a trailer, so it sat exposed for unknown years. It runs, we connected it up to the battery charger and it moved both ways. I bought it from him since he decided he wasn't going to put it on his 4cyl YJ - he'd rather have a low profile "modern" style so he doesn't block his radiator.

Oh, it's a Jeep OEM equipment one. I was trying to find the date code, but none on it like I find described on ih8mud and other sites...

I just have to replace the seals, bought the brake rebuild kit since it will be apart and who knows what shape it is in. The seal between the drum and gear housing is leaking it looks like, and there's a little oil around the motor, so new bearing there, new seal/bushing for the drum, and new brake kit. $163 in parts for a $250 winch.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in