Temperature sensor/gauge wiring - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
cer
1985 CJ7 

Temperature sensor/gauge wiring

A little background. I have an 85 CJ7. I have owned it for about a year. As long as I have owned it, the temp gauge has never worked. A couple of months ago, I replace the sensor, hoping that it would be a quick fix. No luck.

I am not overly mechanical and I am definitely not an electrician. I have viewed the link form John on the basic troubleshooting for CJ gauges a couple of times, but I had never jumped in. I decided this weekend that would give it a try. I checked power to the speedomter and it checked out fine.

As I was following wires through the firewall, checking connections, etc. I found a purple /white wire with plug that was not plugged in. It was the same wire color as the wire on the back of the gauge. There was a green wire and plug connected to the temp sensor. The green wire was not hot. I tested the purple/white wire, it was getting power so I gave it a shot. Just like that, the temp gauge was working and seems to be working correctly. Also, in my search through the wiring harness, I found an unplugged orange wire.

So my questions are as follows:

1).What in the world is the green wire that was initially plugged into the temp sensor??
2). What does the orange wire go to??

I am attaching a link to a picture of the wiring.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
cer
1985 CJ7 

Anyone have any ideas. I did a quick trace of the green wire and it appears that it terminates at the fuse panel????

I am going to try to dig a little deeper when I get a little time.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 07:31 PM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

I have no idea, but I have the same set of disconnected plugs - albeit in much worse shape than yours.

Checking the Chilton manual, the wiring diagram shows an orange wire, with a light green wire, coming out of the manifold heater/heater relay. The orange wire leads to the heater from the relay, the green wire grounds the relay. It looks like it says "6cyl," but it could be an "8." Either way, I have an aftermarket manifold which explains why mine are disconnected. My light green is paired with a red with a more of a flat-head female connector that I thought went to the hood lamp, but I can't remember. In any case, the manual shows a red leading in to the manifold heater relay.

Now, if you can help remind me what wire goes to the hood lamp, we're even.
-Nick

post #4 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
cer
1985 CJ7 

Nick,

Thanks for the help. I dont' have a hood lamp....so maybe that is what the unplugged orange wire goes to???
post #5 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 PM
NelsonATC

1980 CJ7 

I have the same unplugged orange wire. I too believe it is for the hood lamp.

Mike
1980 CJ7
post #6 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
cer
1985 CJ7 

My confusion continues...

I looked at my buddy's '83 CJ-8 and it appears that on his Jeep, the green wire is connected to a sensor on the side, where mine was originally connected and then the purple / white wire is connected to a sensor on the back of the engine, closer to the dash. I looked at the back of my engine, and did not see a sensor. Like I said before, the temp gauge seems to be working fine, but I am having trouble just letting it go with the green wire disconnected. I do feel fairly confident that the orange wire must be for the hood lamp.

Can any of you wiring experts help me out with the green wire?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 PM
1982CJ-7
1982 CJ7 

This may help as I have been trying to figure out some things tonight myself. I believe the green wire goes to the manifold heater:
Manifold Heater
The purple wire that comes from the temp gauge should go to the coolant temp sensor which according to this is on the back of the head:
http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/39...600x600Q85.jpg

At least that is what I'm going to try now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in