Temp gauge getting 12 volts - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-29-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Kenscj

Temp gauge getting 12 volts

Came here and joined to follow John Stenk’s gauge troubleshooting link: am installing new fuel and temp gauges in 84 CJ and temp gauge pegs at hot without engine even running. So, at step 3 of his quick test tutorial, I have constant power, not intermittent at terminal A, (so light on, not flashing). Went to step 3 troubleshooting. Passed ALL the tests. Guessing the resistor is the problem, even though both gauges are brand new. Have been reading lots of posts about similar issues. Don’t know what to try now. Appreciate any suggestions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-29-2020, 05:58 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
One thing I noticed about buying these supposedly OE gauges in the last few years is that some of them are either;
a. Damaged in transit, or
b. Chinese knock off design/manufacture that is terrible.

In my case I got lucky in that when I was restoring Black Betty is that Mac of Macs Jeeparts was still alive and had some NOS gauges from AMC that I solved my OE gauge issues. On a sidebar I also added medhanical Auto Meter gauges above the radio to more accurately get engine data.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #3 of 6 Old 03-30-2020, 04:33 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenscj View Post
Came here and joined to follow John Stenkís gauge troubleshooting link: am installing new fuel and temp gauges in 84 CJ and temp gauge pegs at hot without engine even running. So, at step 3 of his quick test tutorial, I have constant power, not intermittent at terminal A, (so light on, not flashing). Went to step 3 troubleshooting. Passed ALL the tests. Guessing the resistor is the problem, even though both gauges are brand new. Have been reading lots of posts about similar issues. Donít know what to try now. Appreciate any suggestions

Do you have 'new' OEM gauge or some aftermarket gauges? As far as I can recall, there are only two types of aftermarket gauges that look similar to the OEM gauges. One is wired like the OEM gauges and one is not wired like the OEM gauges.

A solid 12 volts on the "A" terminal usually indicated a bad ground. That prevents the regulator from operating and only puts out 12 volts.
If you have the dash disconnected or the speedometer hanging loose, you need to ground the case of the speedometer housing.
turbogus and pedal2themetai like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 6 Old 03-30-2020, 03:38 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
You know John, I've been knocking those alternative gauges for several years now and although I'm almost sure that I followed the installation instructions, I may have wired 'em wrong after all. Luckily Mac still had some NOS when I was working on those.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #5 of 6 Old 04-09-2020, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Kenscj

Thanks Mr. Strenck for the quick response. It's taken awhile for me to get back to this project. Also, I have written this response twice already, but apparently am too slow and I time out or something, and when I try to post I am told to reload previous page - and everything disappears. As if I don't have enough frustration with the gauges and dropping the dash over and over...

Fuel gauge brand is Ada Omix. Temp gauge is Crown brand.

I checked, rechecked, and checked again for ground - and it "appeared" fine. Did check of battery cable at battery - aha - high resistance. Replaced cable. Do all checks per directions again, good ground, fuel gauge working but regulator still not regulating, temp gauge pegged.

New idea: ordered some 5V voltage regulators, soldered one in line between fuel gauge and temp gauge, Now, for sure have 5 volts to temp gauge, but still pegged. (Probably cooked it). So, I tried one of the other temp gauges I have and it appears to be working (I have replaced this gauge a few times thinking they were broken and have kept all of them, including the original).

Now have to put dash back together - again - it's a bit cumbersome as I have factory ac. I am going to live with whatever I've got - working temp gauge or not - for the moment. Will come back to it another time if needed. I installed Howell TBI years ago and it has separate temp sensor which will alert check engine light if overheating.

This forum has a wealth of information. I am grateful for all who are sharing their knowledge, experience, expertise.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-09-2020, 08:19 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Send us pictures...

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in