Team Rush Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Shrevmo
1985 CJ7 

Team Rush Question

I did a fair amount of research and have read all the various posts for the Team Rush upgrade I could find, and I want to do it. I was thinking HEI, but have changed my mind since the research I did. Thanks for that! I have an 1980 258 motor in an 85 chassis. NO smog equipment, Clifford intake, Clifford exhaust header, and a 2300 series Holley 350 cfm. My question is in regards to upgrading with aftermarket parts. I saw the part #s for the MSD E-coil and plug wires. I also saw a post for upgrading to a or the CDI module. Here is my question, which MSD ignition module would be best and it does it directly replace the stock unit? I'm pretty sure that you don't run both right? You need a dizzy (which I have), cap, adapter, rotor coil, wires and module all for a mid 80's or early 90's Ford 300 right? I'm also thinking about the advance curve change too, but I will probably do that at a later time. Is the Team Rush even right for me, or would I benefit from something else? I know my way around my rig mechanically, but electrically is another story. Am I correct with my assumptions or will it make an a$$ out of u and me! HAHAHAHA

On a side note, Thanks Hammer for all the posts and super accurate info. I don't know how you can keep repeating yourself that many times, I know I couldn't, so Thanks. I also read something about a publication with you and John. That would be awesome. Together, you guys are like AMC Jeep engineers. Have you ever thought to Sticky most of the info so it is not always repeated. I know you said that you don't mind, but I still feel silly asking. Thanks again and thanks to all for their great ideas, builds, skills and tech info. You guys are great!

Its only money....I'll make more tomorrow!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 PM
JackN77CJ7
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrevmo View Post

On a side note, Thanks Hammer for all the posts and super accurate info. I don't know how you can keep repeating yourself that many times, I know I couldn't, so Thanks. I also read something about a publication with you and John. That would be awesome. Together, you guys are like AMC Jeep engineers. Have you ever thought to Sticky most of the info so it is not always repeated. I know you said that you don't mind, but I still feel silly asking. Thanks again and thanks to all for their great ideas, builds, skills and tech info. You guys are great!
Amen to that! Other than that I am no help. I am still in the collecting stage of my team rush!
post #3 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 PM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

'Stickies' aren't up to us, moderators have to do that, and so far, none have approached me for a 'Definitive' article on the I-6 or V-8 upgrade with updated information...
(That's OK, cause I'll help out, but I'm lazy too!)

As for the 'Upgrade',
I'd keep the stock ignition module if I were you, since switching over to a CDI ignition like Summit or MSD will give you a complete SECOND ignition...
You can keep the factory ignition in place for a back-up if anything would happen to your CDI module on the Road/Trail.

I've gone over it before, but all you need to change is the,
1. DISTRIBUTOR CAP to a wide cap with brass terminals.
I-6 CAP and Rotor from:
Advance Auto, Standard/Blue Streak brand, p/n KCR-202X
Auto Zone, DuraLast Gold, p/n F2104G
http://www.autozone.com/R,852643/veh...ductDetail.htm

2. ROTOR to one that fits the wide cap.
See above cap & rotor kit,

3. DISTRIBUTOR CAP ADAPTER that mates the taller, wider cap to the factory Jeep/Motorcraft distributor.
Advanced Auto p/n C193AP or FR109
Auto Zone p/n F960
http://www.autozone.com/R,644111/veh...ductDetail.htm

4. PLUG WIRES that will get the spark energy to where it's supposed to be without huge losses.
I use AutoLite when I'm using the 'Cheap' wires, MSD when I'm using the 'Best' wires.
With an E-core coil, you are looking for,
Advance Auto/ Autolite p/n 96624

With a factory CANISTER coil,
Advanced Auto/ Autolite p/n 96171
--------------------------------------------------------

If you decide to do the CDI module, (and you don't have to change the module for the basic 'TeamRush' upgrade, but if you do, I'd change to a CDI module!)

5. CDI module, Summit or MSD 6 series modules work great,
If you are going to be under water a lot, go with MSD OFF-ROAD or MARINE module.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

6. MSD p/n 8869, The wiring adapter that allows you to plug your Summit or MSD module directly into the Jeep/Motorcraft distributor.

7. MSD p/n 8862, Shielded Extension Cable that allows you to move your Summit or MSD module up to 6' away from the distributor, even out of the engine bay!

8. You will need to aquire the coil connector to crimp onto your CDI unit...
The Jeep/Ford canister coil will work fine with the CDI module,
OR,
You can switch to the E-core style module.
Either one works GREAT with the CDI modules!

Jeep/Motorcraft factory style module would be Auto Zone p/n 252
NAPA p/n ECHEC238

E-core connector NAPA p/n ICC1

9. If you are COMPLETE wiring idiot, and don't want to screw this up,
This is the adapter to plug the CDI unit into the wiring harness where you unplug your stock module.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Here is a wiring diagram for the CDI stand alone, note the part numbers for the adapters, connectors and such...

REMEMBER,
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

post #4 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

I bow to the Hammer.....almighty Team Rush upgrade master. He must keep all this stuff on permenant "clipboard" and just pastes it whenever someone asks.

CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, MC 2150 carb, YJ tub mod
post #5 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Shrevmo
1985 CJ7 

JeepHammer, Thank You very much and that is exactly what I was looking for. I'm glad to know that there are adapters out there to keep the upgrade simple and looking good too. I will keep you updated on the success for the swap once I get my axles back from the re-gear project and get her back together. I was looking for something to do in the down time. Thanks again and you are a huge asset to us and the CJ community. Any more word on the Hammer/Strenk publication/DVD. I would get one FOR SURE maybe even pay double! Thank You

post #6 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Shrevmo
1985 CJ7 

I thought about the clipboard and cut and paste too, but every post is different in one way or another. Trust me, I read them all (well most of them). He knows his stuff and posts accurate personal answers to whoever asks.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 PM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

Not cut and paste...
If the guys give ACCURATE & COMPLETE information, I can usually knock out an answer in about 10 to 20 minutes...

Every application is different, so there is no 'Stand Pat' answer, but most of the time, the knuckle heads don't list what engine they are running, what year the jeep is, what they have done to it already...

Where I work (Hot Rod parts company), I used to do the tech line quesitons...
The standing rule was it took at least an hour to do ANY tech question.
30 minutes of questioioning because the guy is lying to you or doesn't know what he has,
15 minutes for him to actually get around to telling you what REALLY caused the problem,
And 15 minutes getting him to open the instructions to find the answer in print & pictures!

We solved the instructions part.
The envelope with instructions has 4 inch block letters that say "DO NOT OPEN!" on the front, so now EVERY envelope gets opened...
They still don't READ the instructions, but they do open the envelopes now!

REMEMBER,
LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #8 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrevmo View Post
Any more word on the Hammer/Strenk publication/DVD. I would get one FOR SURE maybe even pay double! Thank You
I have a web site domain name and server space set aside for it, and I have LEVE an some others editing articles...
But an article can't give you SPECIFIC answers, just general answers to your questions...
I'm considering a forum on that web site when it's ready to go, so you all may have to come over there for specific answers!

REMEMBER,
LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #9 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 AM
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
Not cut and paste...
If the guys give ACCURATE & COMPLETE information, I can usually knock out an answer in about 10 to 20 minutes...

Every application is different, so there is no 'Stand Pat' answer, but most of the time, the knuckle heads don't list what engine they are running, what year the jeep is, what they have done to it already...

Where I work (Hot Rod parts company), I used to do the tech line quesitons...
The standing rule was it took at least an hour to do ANY tech question.
30 minutes of questioioning because the guy is lying to you or doesn't know what he has,
15 minutes for him to actually get around to telling you what REALLY caused the problem,
And 15 minutes getting him to open the instructions to find the answer in print & pictures!

We solved the instructions part.
The envelope with instructions has 4 inch block letters that say "DO NOT OPEN!" on the front, so now EVERY envelope gets opened...
They still don't READ the instructions, but they do open the envelopes now!

No offense intended! Just very impressed with your knowledge on all this stuff and how quickly you can type out half a novel for each users question!
Thanks for all your help!

CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, MC 2150 carb, YJ tub mod
post #10 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGoose View Post
No offense intended! Just very impressed with your knowledge on all this stuff and how quickly you can type out half a novel for each users question!
Thanks for all your help!
None taken...
I try and give COMPLETE information, Mostly for selfish reasons...
If you don't, you get to answer questions by the truck load for the next two weeks!

REMEMBER,
LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in