1Likes
  • 1 Post By CJ7-Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2021, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
tinindian68
1986 CJ7 

Taking my CJ-7 to Moab

Hi all,

I have an essentially stock 1986 CJ-7 that I'm planning to take to Moab.
  • 258 with Sniper EFI
  • HEI ignition
  • 5 speed/Dana 300
  • Dana 30 front, Dana 44 rear 3.31 gears
  • Stock springs/lift
  • 235/75/15 tires
  • The Jeep runs and drives great. It's a daily driver. Mechanically it's sound.
I'd like to keep this Jeep in one piece, so I need some advice.

Are there trails I should definitely check out/avoid? I'm assuming the list of trails for a stock Jeep will be limited, but that's ok!

I can spend some money on upgrades before I go (this will probably be in the fall or spring of next year). Any suggestions on what's essential? I'm a real old school type. So if I can get parts that look the part (or are vintage) I'd prefer that. I'd go old over new any day.

This has been one of those bucket list items for a long time for me. I'm going to get out and do it, but I want to be smart about it. I'm an amateur off-roader. Most all of my experience has been back east in the woods and on the trails. The terrain is different out here, and I want to be prepared.

I figured this would be a fun discussion!
Thanks!
Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2021, 04:37 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Buy this now: Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, by Charles A Wells. All the trails are rated for level of difficulty.

There is lots to do and see with a stock 4x4. Plan ahead for foul weather, breakdowns, and other misfortunes. Just in case, be prepared to spend an overnight out in the boonies, or for a first aid situation.

DO NOT travel into the wilds alone. In the olden days people would gather at the grocery store parking lot to form impromptu trail riding groups, maybe all that is done on FaceBook these days.

You should look into a rear differential locker and sway bar disconnects. I would suggest All-Terrain or Mud-Terrain tires with 2 spares, one for the Jeep and one back at camp, just in case.

Have fun, Moab is incredibly beautiful, and more fun than should be legal.

Attached Thumbnails
13.jpg   10.jpg   ps3.jpg   16.jpg  
robblue6412 likes this.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2021, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
tinindian68
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Buy this now: Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, by Charles A Wells. All the trails are rated for level of difficulty.

There is lots to do and see with a stock 4x4. Plan ahead for foul weather, breakdowns, and other misfortunes. Just in case, be prepared to spend an overnight out in the boonies, or for a first aid situation.

DO NOT travel into the wilds alone. In the olden days people would gather at the grocery store parking lot to form impromptu trail riding groups, maybe all that is done on FaceBook these days.

You should look into a rear differential locker and sway bar disconnects. I would suggest All-Terrain or Mud-Terrain tires with 2 spares, one for the Jeep and one back at camp, just in case.

Have fun, Moab is incredibly beautiful, and more fun than should be legal.

Thanks for the solid advice Tim! I bought the book as well.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-13-2021, 10:22 PM
KevinCJ7Jeep

1981 CJ7 

Update when you plan on going next year. I have a small group talking about going in the spring.

Kevin
post #5 of 7 Old 07-14-2021, 01:32 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

Some of the trails are definitely hard core, but my understanding is that most of the worst obstacles have bypasses. There are youtube vids of people doing a lot of the trails in old Willys jeeps, so you can have a ton of fun with a stock setup. Just use common sense and use caution to keep the Jeep in one piece.

If you can try to hook up/tag along with a group of people. Safety in numbers. Take tools, extra gas and extra water. I drive through there 5 days a week, it has been over 100* lately.

Good luck and have fun!
post #6 of 7 Old 07-14-2021, 05:04 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

After taking Tim's advice (which is all great) make sure you have enough tested recovery gear that you can get someone out or they can get you out. Then add on jerricans of water and petrol, if you don't use it you mat find someone else in need.

And really, that is all you need to go out and about, a CJ on decent tyres and recovery gear.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #7 of 7 Old 07-19-2021, 12:18 PM
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

You will have a great time there. I was on a dirtbike trip and we spent a whole day going into incredible places.

The “hot tub” on Hell’s Revenge trail is very entertaining if anyone is attempting it. Check it out on YouTube if you haven’t seen it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in