Tail light side lights marker or running lamps? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
JustaKidWithaCJ

1978 CJ7 

Garage
Tail light side lights marker or running lamps?

So yea stupid wiring question but I can't figure it out...are the side lights on the tail light housing supposed to be turn signal lights or just running lights? I'm not talking about the separate side marker light here just the tail light "side light". Just finishing putting in a Painless harness, the product is painless...my CJ is not.

To CJ or not to CJ, that is the question. Then again I think we all know the answer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 04:55 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

I believe they are just marker lights. I installed my painless harness and wired the tail lights up just like it says in the painless manual, and everything worked as it should.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
JustaKidWithaCJ

1978 CJ7 

Garage
The tail lights on it right now have a crappy connection and different colour coded wires so I'm trying to figure that out. It's got three wires; green, brown, and yellow. Green is reverse so i know which wire to splice that one to on the painless harness. The side light taps into the brown wire and the yellow wire goes straight into tail light bulb. So I'm thinking if you say the side light is just a marker light and not a signal light then brown is running lights (?), yellow is brake/turn and green is reverse. If side light is a turn signal then brown is turn signal and yellow is running lights. Shoulda written this stuff down before...

To CJ or not to CJ, that is the question. Then again I think we all know the answer...

post #4 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Side light is just a marker, does not flash.

You could make it flash, wire it's ground to the taillight's turn signal wire. The marker would ground when the turn is off, but when it comes on not you have 2 (+) to the bulb, so it goes out. It would flash opposite of the taillight's turn signal. Ever notice how GM vehicles did that? Simple to do, it's on my list of "one of these days". Especially like the idea of the front side markers flashing for at stop signs and intersections.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 12:34 AM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

I thought the front marker lights already flashed. Do they not?
post #6 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 12:53 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Depends on how it is wired as different countries require the brake and turn lights to be separate and different colours.

The front round lamps on the grill have two wires, a white wire for park and a light green or light green with tracer for turn.

The rear lamps are fed by th frame harness which has the following wires.

White for park
Light Green and light green with tracer for turn
White with tracer for backup lamps.

The stop lamp switch feeds power to the turn signal switch in the column. this feeds to both the turn signal wires.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #7 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 04:06 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Depends on how it is wired as different countries require the brake and turn lights to be separate and different colours.

The stop lamp switch feeds power to the turn signal switch in the column. this feeds to both the turn signal wires.
Not as important as the stop light switch but the emergency flasher will also supply power to the turnsignal switch when activated. It's on a different fuse than the stop light switch. And the turn signal flasher also supplies power to the turnsignal switch but it's on the same fuse as the stop light switch.

Don't know if that is true on export jeeps with a separate turn signal light as the brake and turnsignal circuits are separate. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
JustaKidWithaCJ

1978 CJ7 

Garage
Alright so I guess the general consensus is in favour of it simply being a marker light so I'll wire it up like that. Maybe "one of these days" I'll wire it for turn signals XP. Thx for the help guys!

post #9 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 03:40 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post

Mine has a Centech harness, so it may be different with OEM, but mine does not.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #10 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 04:00 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
In the OEM configuration, they do flash with the turnsignals.

Interestingly enough, they flash in sequence with the headlights off but out of sequence with the headlights on.

post #11 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 07:02 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Interestingly enough, they flash in sequence with the headlights off but out of sequence with the headlights on.
I've noticed the same thing, and often wondered why. However, my curiosity quickly fades at the prospect of trying to interpret a wiring diagram for something that actually works...

Hoov

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #12 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 10:39 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post

That they do.

Looked into this as to why when first getting the electrical system back up and running, but never did find anything on the print as to why. I think the way they flash is just electricity taking the path of the least resistance.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #13 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 10:49 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
That they do.

Looked into this as to why when first getting the electrical system back up and running, but never did find anything on the print as to why. I think the way they flash is just electricity taking the path of the least resistance.
Kind of. It's just trying to find the best path to ground. If there isn't one, then it's off.

With the headlights off, the ground is through the headlight circuit to ground. When the TS lights up so does the fender marker. So it flashes in sync
With the headlights ON. the fender marker is on also. Then the Turn signal starts there is no ground path so the light goes off. When the turn signal goes off then the light grounds through the turn signal filaments and it's ON again. So it is out of sync then.

Kinda like what happens when you loose a ground connection on the jeep and weird electrical stuff starts to happen.
Attached Images

X-Army likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in