T18 pops out of second HELP - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 10-15-2021, 04:29 PM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Some Jeep T-18s came with 4:1 first gear ratio and a numerically lower 2nd gear than the Ford T-18. Those are more of a true 4-speed.

As 80cj said, the Ford T-18 with a 6.32:1 first gear ratio, is basically a 3-speed with granny low. Most guys start out from stop in 2nd gear with those.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 10-15-2021, 07:16 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

I have a T18A in my Jeep and first is useless for anything street oriented. I only use it for wheeling, boat ramps, and any other situation that requires a low gear.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #18 of 22 Old 10-15-2021, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
JeepinGeo

Well here you have it. Open the picture and in it you can see the old snap ring that shattered into 3 pieces. I taped it up at one point to try and reinstall it 😉 But it didn't work 😕
As you can see I put a new locking ring on, this time being extra cautious as to not stretch or over stress it, if that's even a thing? Everything appears correct, and I still can't figure out what exactly caused it to break in the first place, but the synchros and gears are, like I said, 100% intact. Possibly a little slop between the two locking rings and second gear/first gear hub? Who knows. I mic'd all of the locking rings in the rebuild kit at .093", which was identical thickness as the old one. Trying to move the "clutch hub" assembly, there is no play, which I would think is correct. Does anyone have ANY potential reason for why this could have happened in the first place? Over stressed ring from installation 2 or 3 years ago when I did the full rebuild is all I can think of. Other than that would be back and forth slop from locking ring(s) that is too thing. But if both new and old lock rings mic'd the same, then this problem would be inevitable. Oh well I guess I'll see yall in another 2 years when it *happens* again for a reason I can't explain.
Attached Thumbnails
20211015_231014_1634358002236.jpg  

post #19 of 22 Old 10-16-2021, 12:09 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Hard to say what would cause a snap ring to fail as yours did. Lots of auto parts are offshore imports and like everyone else on this forum, I prefer good old Made in USA quality. I think one that breaks into 3 pieces as yours did was probably brittle from improper heat treatment.
post #20 of 22 Old 10-16-2021, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
JeepinGeo

I believe what you said wholeheartedly, 80CJ. When I rebuilt it before, everything went so smooth. It went 2.5 years without any shifting issue until this happened. It's still baffling to me. The kit was supplied by Transparts Warehouse in California so it's likely to be Chinese. Most probably are nowadays. I am curious, if you've ever rebuilt a T18 do you recall just a very slight amount of back and forth give of the second gear/first gear clutch hub on the mainshaft? Installed both new snap rings last night for reassurance and nothing says if the clutch hub is supposed to be ultra tight or if it can move a couple hundred thousandths of an inch (which it does). I don't think that would affect anything but Im sure someone can chime in about that.
post #21 of 22 Old 10-16-2021, 02:25 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGeo View Post
I believe what you said wholeheartedly, 80CJ. When I rebuilt it before, everything went so smooth. It went 2.5 years without any shifting issue until this happened. It's still baffling to me. The kit was supplied by Transparts Warehouse in California so it's likely to be Chinese. Most probably are nowadays. I am curious, if you've ever rebuilt a T18 do you recall just a very slight amount of back and forth give of the second gear/first gear clutch hub on the mainshaft? Installed both new snap rings last night for reassurance and nothing says if the clutch hub is supposed to be ultra tight or if it can move a couple hundred thousandths of an inch (which it does). I don't think that would affect anything but Im sure someone can chime in about that.
I helped my brother rebuild his close ratio T-18 in his V-6 CJ-5 but that was years ago and don't really remember the details. I looked at the T-18A rebuild section in my 1980 Jeep FSM and couldn't find any end play spec for the 1-2 synchro clutch hub. I really don't see why they would allow any end play in the synchro clutch hub. One thing you can check is whether the snap ring groove will allow a thicker snap ring. If so, bearing supply places often sell snap rings and you can check if they have something thicker.
post #22 of 22 Old 10-16-2021, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
JeepinGeo

The "play" is so minute that part of me feels like it's actually an illusion. As a matter of fact, both clutch hubs (3rd/4th & 1st/2nd) appear to have a very small amount of give. If they're supposed to be bone tight then that would mean all the snap rings are undersized. My stepdad, grandpa & I reached the consensus that the issue was likely isolated to the snap ring itself; either a heat treatment issue or too much stress during installation 2 years ago. I've got it back together & spinning smoothly so I'm gonna roll with it but I'll be sure to come back to this thread should something come up. Thanks again man.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in