T176 transmission removal - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By only in a jeep cj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
mc190

T176 transmission removal

Not new to this forum, but had to re-register as I did not recall my last user name and info. The prior Jeep we had was a 89YJ.

Now have a 1980 CJ 7 that is original and not a rust bucket, but the PO basically left it unattended and we need to get it mechanically working. It run's and we are doing a complete brake service soon while we treat the tub with some rust prevention (chassis saver) and recoat it. also some rust areas on the body, but not that bad.

The biggest project is removing the T176 transmission. Is it very difficult? any hints. Plan is to pull the transmission and having a local shop rebuild it for us vs. having the CJ just towed around town for repairs.

On the YJ we actually were able to pull the terrible Peugeot transmission ourselves and replaced it with an AX-15 and did it in the garage on jack stands. From what I'm readying the T176 transmission seems easier to remove (do not have to support the engine?) and the bolts are pretty easy to access. We'll do a clutch/flywheel replacement at the same time.

not sure if there is a link that someone already posted- did not find it in the search function. Any hints or guides would be helpful

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Yes, you do need to still support the engine. basically the same procedure that you used to remove the ax-15, you just have a mechanical clutch linkage to unhook instead of dealing with the hydraulic system on the yj

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 AM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

The biggest difference between the yj/tj manual transmissions and the CJ stuff is that it is easier to pull the CJ trans as you can externally unbolt it from the bellhousing and pull just the transmission by itself...... leaving the bell and clutch stuff still attached to the engine.
John Strenk likes this.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon

post #4 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 08:18 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You could separate the transmission, bellhousing and transfer case under the vehicle. This makes it much easier to take out if you do not have a full range of lifting gear as the weight of each drop is reduced.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #5 of 6 Old 07-11-2019, 04:24 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
i have the t4 in my jeep. but when i pulled mine to change the clutch i made what looked line a jenga block set for under the oil pan to support the engine. i also made a cradle for my transmission jack. then i was able to remove the transmission, transfercase and cross member all in one piece. the cradle was pretty much a piece of 3/4 plywood with a u shape part built from 2x4 in the front that supports the bottom and sides of the front of the transmission. then a piece of 2x4 in the rear under the center if the skid plate. that supported the combo very well for removing and reinstalling. for installation of the transmission back in i made a set of alignment pins that i screwed into the back of the engine.all the are is a longer bolt that i cut the head off,put a taper and slot on the end of the bolt. then slide the bellhousing on those pins and a small wiggle and the pilot shaft slide right into place. then just remove a alignment pins and install all the bolts for the bellhousing and skid plate.

stephan
post #6 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
mc190

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
You could separate the transmission, bellhousing and transfer case under the vehicle. This makes it much easier to take out if you do not have a full range of lifting gear as the weight of each drop is reduced.
That's what I'll probably do.

I'll also swing by a local shop to see what they can do. I know the transmission is shot and will need rebuilt (assuming it can be). Might be the smart thing to do is get the CJ over to a shop and let them handle it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in