• 1 Post By jjump

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-27-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
jjump
1985 CJ7 

T176 New Shift Forks - No Gear....

OK All,

What did I do wrong here......

I got new parts from 4wd for shift forks on the T176, I tripled check to make sure that was together correct, seems to match the pic I took before I disassembled the forks, got the new forks and pins in, all re-assembled, but where I put the housing back on, no gear. NO reverse, first or second, but I get a grinding noise in third, so I did not push that too far at all.

This all work good before I replaced the shift forks, just had the "stuck" issue every now and then.

TIA

Justin

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0981.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-27-2017, 05:05 PM
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjump View Post
OK All,

What did I do wrong here......

I got new parts from 4wd for shift forks on the T176, I tripled check to make sure that was together correct, seems to match the pic I took before I disassembled the forks, got the new forks and pins in, all re-assembled, but where I put the housing back on, no gear. NO reverse, first or second, but I get a grinding noise in third, so I did not push that too far at all.

This all work good before I replaced the shift forks, just had the "stuck" issue every now and then.

TIA

Justin
Man, I'd probably start with a fluid check first, and then go from there.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 10-27-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
jjump
1985 CJ7 

fresh change while im in there, its full, Napa GL4

post #4 of 11 Old 10-27-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
jjump
1985 CJ7 

got it figured out, I just wasnt in the slots......
post #5 of 11 Old 10-27-2017, 05:35 PM
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjump View Post
fresh change while im in there, its full, Napa GL4
Looks like it's severely contaminated with water.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 10-27-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
jjump
1985 CJ7 

No water in there....that picture is literally 2 minutes after I just drained the old fluid, and put new Napa GL4 in there....I assumed it looked foamy because it just spent the last 4 minutes getting churned up by the tranny.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-30-2017, 09:50 AM
wm69
1985 CJ7 

So the new forks work ok now? I saw a T176 rebuild thread where someone tried the new Omix or Crown (can't remember which) forks and they were WAY out of spec....

85 CJ7 258, borla header, Team Rush, MC2100 ,optima batt, Warn 8274, agr super box 2 & pump, T5 w/ B&M shifter, centerforce 2, superior 1 piece axles, warn hubs 2.5 in lift, 31" BFG MT

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
post #8 of 11 Old 10-30-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
jjump
1985 CJ7 

Its hard to say, for now, I only got a ride around the town, but they felt OK. Keep in mind I only bought the jeep a month ago or so, and the PO told me about the issue before I even asked, he told me that on one of the test drives a potential buyer couldn't get it into gear, the typical T176 not shifting issue. It did not happen to me at all during the test drive, and I drove it around for a week and a half after I got it with no issues, but it did do it to me twice in the same day, so I ordered the new shift forks, balls and shifter spring/cap, and drove around for a week with a screwdriver in the jeep in case it happened again, it didn't, but I changed out the forks anyways.

So far so good, the fluid change seems to have helped also, the stuff that was in there was very dark and smelled pretty bad.

As for the rebuild, I have another post where the poppet ball springs are no where to be found, so if you dig into your housing, be prepared if one of those are broke, which I hear happens.
John Strenk likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-30-2017, 08:07 PM
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

What shift forks did you order? I'm having the same problem, but not so bad yet.

86 CJ-7, 258 Engine, T-177, Dana 300, Dana 30, AMC 20
post #10 of 11 Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
jjump
1985 CJ7 

All the parts were Crown parts through 4wd.....
post #11 of 11 Old 10-31-2017, 10:59 AM
shadoow
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

some other possible sources for trans parts:

http://www.standardtransmission.com/

don't know if the above has shift forks; have to call or email

Novak (don't know if they have shift forks; have to call or email)

http://www.allstategear.com/T176-4-Speed-s/1998.htm

I bought a counter shaft for a T177 a few years back from Allstate Gear. I remember asking them about their source for parts as I didn't want to do Omix or Quadratech if possible. They told me the part was made in India and machined in the US. I went ahead and bought the counter shaft and haven't had any issues with the trans since i did the rebuild. They do have shift forks, but you'll have to call to see what they say about where they get their shift forks from.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in