3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 02-13-2021, 10:32 AM
Dave79CJ5
1979 CJ5 

T150 Dana 20 lock up

Hey guys,

Great stuff in this thread!

Anyone have a suggestion as to what broken in my T150 or Dana 20?

Short Story:
-rear wheels locked up a few weeks after replacing broken rear drive shaft.

Long Story:
-I was excited to "just once" spin the rear wheels on pavement after TruTrac rear installed.
-Replaced drive shaft and drove for a few weeks.
-Had a quick and sudden jolt on hwy, moved to back roads for slower speed, rear wheels locked up.
-Loosened by shifting to low range to get it off the road, then flat bed ride home.
-Removed drive shaft, put T150 and Dana 20 in neutral.
-Rear worked as it should.
-Hand spinning yoke on rear of Dana 20 has a bind in one spot in one rotation - not consistent, but often enough.

Irony - the Dana 20 was very hard to shift low to high and vise versa...now its easy to shift.

T150 and Dana 20 rebuilt recently.

Thanks,
Dave - CJ5 - 350 Chevy - T150 -Dana 20- TruTrac rear.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0996.jpg  

Dave
704-201-9631
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 02-13-2021, 11:54 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

sounds like it time to take the transfercase back out and see what inside is not correct.

oldschool
post #18 of 26 Old 02-14-2021, 02:54 PM
Dave79CJ5
1979 CJ5 

T150/Dana 20 sepatation

Thanks for reply oldschool..if just taking the Dana 20 off..do I need to drain the oil from the T150?
A little confused if they donít share oil...maybe the gasket between prevents it?

Dave
704-201-9631

post #19 of 26 Old 02-14-2021, 03:05 PM
Dave79CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Also wondering...if I leave shifter in the T150 (not trying to replace anything on it)...does that hold the the upper shafts together to avoid that issue of the bearings falling out?

Dave
704-201-9631
post #20 of 26 Old 02-15-2021, 07:56 AM
exheep
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave79CJ5 View Post
Also wondering...if I leave shifter in the T150 (not trying to replace anything on it)...does that hold the the upper shafts together to avoid that issue of the bearings falling out?
Yes it will hold together

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
post #21 of 26 Old 02-15-2021, 09:44 AM
Dave79CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Thanks exheep - do I need to drain the oil on the T150?

Dave
704-201-9631
post #22 of 26 Old 02-15-2021, 12:28 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Never tried depending on the shifter assembly to hold the upper 2 shafts together in the T-150

In other words, the rear shaft staying forward and not spilling out the needle bearings into the transmission case.

I SEE THIS METHOD AS BEING A "NO GO"!!!!

Why????

If you remove the transfer case or gravity wants to pull on the output gear.

What will prevent the synchronizer's sleeve from staying still ---In what gear or neutral--DOES NOT MATTER (as your plan seems to be 100% depending on as the "safety catch"),

When suddenly the rear shaft pulls rearward through the sleeves.

This is a pic I already had when explaining this tp someone else----I took it to MS paint and added the text.

If you are really careful your way may work---bumping the shifter or hanging on the way out may have you rebuilding the tranny again!

I always remove the shifter assembly and wedge the rear shaft assembly forward at the rear of the case---anytime the rear output gear will be free in the wide open, without the transfer case or wire to keep it from falling back.

From dumb experience, if it moves accidentally or through ignorance maybe a 1/2 inch.....either you will be lucky, a stupid fail that you continued on and drove it after the needles fell out and you missed it, or you had to start from scratch when you realized they did fall out.

Not being a butt about this----just want to help you out....I winged much of this stuff with a manual and idiot-----master mechanic advice when available.......the "Net" was still a "Myth".

----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
PULL 444.jpg  
post #23 of 26 Old 02-15-2021, 04:34 PM
exheep
1976 CJ5 

I'd have to disagree on that. The transmission was assembled in the Borg Warner plant and the transfer case at Dana those two sub assemblies were married in Ohio.
When they are disassembled they are still 2 entirely different units.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
post #24 of 26 Old 02-15-2021, 07:14 PM
Dave79CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Love it. And really appreciate your allís advice. Letís keep talking if itís ok with you all.

Before the first rebuilds - when I really had no clue, I pulled out the two together as one.
Itís been a while but I remember loosening the two up just playing around and heard something drop and then could not push the two back together. I was not going to do the rebuild, and so I stopped right there.

Maybe there is something about the shafts being able to separate?

Also, I see a retainer ring in the diagrams for the rear adapter on the T 150..that makes me think they canít separate.

I also see a pic of the T150 with the shift still on in the Jeep and no wires holding the rear gears and adapter.

Curious for any more detail.
Thanks again.

Dave
704-201-9631
post #25 of 26 Old 02-16-2021, 12:47 AM
exheep
1976 CJ5 

They donít share oil but they use the same type.
The only thing keeping them separate is the gasket so if you split them youíll loose fluid from the tranny anyway.
Once they are apart if you remove the top cover of the transmission you could run into problems with the bearings.
As far as unable to reconnect the two ,itís probably just a matter of lining it back up. I canít see anything breaking during disassembling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26 of 26 Old 02-16-2021, 10:40 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Pic 1) About to rebuild tranny....The case/ fill and drain plugs/ front bearing retainer(snout)/ output gear were the only parts I reused.

Pic 2) Right at $850 for the new internals

I removed the transfer case 1st, It did not matter if things fell apart in the T-150.

I removed the shifter next so that the tranny would slide back EZ and come out.

Upon reassembly, I shoved my "wonder bar" (nail puller) to hold the shafts together and forward.

I removed the safety wire from the output gear and installed the transfer case.

I locked mine up too---happened in the transfer case---It very well could have had the same kinda fail in the rear end. This is just to show you things to be aware of, even if it "got by" for years, It bit me in the butt pretty bad.

See Post 9 in this link https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/g...stion-4407599/

----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
TRANNY2 027.jpg   T-150 JEEP TRANSMISSION '76-'79 010.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in