T-5 transmission - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 04-21-2020, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
brandon1
1984 CJ7 

T-5 transmission

After the engine warms up its grinds getting into 2nd gear. it works great for the first few miles. i have the automatic fluid in it. should i switch to a thicker gear oil? I know the manual says auto fluid, but i have seen where people but thicker oil in them.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-21-2020, 11:17 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Only after the engine warms up?

Say your engine warms up but you haven't moved.
Does it still grind going into second standing still?

Just trying to seperate warm engine vs warm transmission vs Clutch binding vs worn synchros.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 24 Old 04-21-2020, 11:44 AM
WadeHiersSr

The guy I bought my T-5 from said to use Mobil-1 5W-20 (fully synth) Extended Performance. Kinda hit me sideways since I'd never heard of using any lightweight lubes in a manual trans.... but then he mentioned that the original spec called for Dexron II and that it's no longer available. According to him, Dexron III or IV are NOT valid replacements for the BW gear sets. He said the only thing on the market that works is fully synth 5-20 and was convinced that Mobil 1 was the best brand.

post #4 of 24 Old 04-21-2020, 11:58 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello
i have a t4 which is pretty much the same other then no O.D. these transmissions are not world class transmission so they do not take automatic transmission fluid. only the world class ones that have rollers bearings between the gears and main shaft takes auto fluid. it took a while to research since AMC is long gone but there spec in the bulletin that came out was for a 80w85 gl4 oil. its the gl4 that is hard to find today. all the gear oil today is mostly gl5 which has to much of the friction modifier in it. some people had good luck using synchromesh which is very thin for later manual transmissions. i actually run a 30w manual transmission fluid for big rig trucks. on the chart it crosses over to a 80 gear oil. its a gl4 oil that is used in volvo idrive and mack mdrive automated manual transmissions. works like a charm. you can try and get some near the truck stop there is usually a garage to work on the trucks.
in the old transmissions we used to use 50w motor oil but that is also hard to find straight.

oldschool
post #5 of 24 Old 04-21-2020, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
brandon1
1984 CJ7 

Not a problem, even after everything is warm, sitting still. it goes right in. all other gears work great all the time.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-21-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
brandon1
1984 CJ7 

Not a problem, even after everything is warm, sitting still. it goes right in. all other gears work great all the time.
post #7 of 24 Old 04-21-2020, 01:25 PM
WadeHiersSr

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello
i have a t4 which is pretty much the same other then no O.D. these transmissions are not world class transmission so they do not take automatic transmission fluid. only the world class ones that have rollers bearings between the gears and main shaft takes auto fluid.
I would double check that statement. Borg Warner sold this transmission off to Tremec back in the day... (I seem to recall that the entire division was broken off and formed it's own company while BW went a different direction).

Check page 5 (Page 5 of the PDF file itself... not not the page number at the bottom) of this link:

https://www.tremec.com/anexos/TRSM-T5-0510-R1_173.pdf

This is the TREMEC Service Manual for the T-5 Standard (STD) and World Class (WC). On page 5 (section 2-4) you'll find "most" of them use DEXRON II.

Incidentally, on page 4 (again the PDF File itself) it explains the differences between the STD and WC versions. They both have roller bearings, the WC has tapered bearings while the STD has straight.

The following picture is a screen scrape from the AMC/Jeep CJ Technical Service Manual (TSM).
Attached Images

post #8 of 24 Old 04-21-2020, 04:25 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

When they first came out, AMC recommended using ATF (1982 FSM). However, there was a recall for this in 1982 (Recall Number: 82V125000) indicating that the “ORIGINAL PRODUCTION TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT USED IN THE INVOLVED VEHICLES MAY NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE LUBRICATION TO PROTECT THE TRANSMISSIONS FIRST GEAR.” FSM supplement for 1982 (Tech Bulletin) and the 1983 FSM both indicate to use 90wt in the T-5. By 1984, AMC started using a proprietary manual transmission lubricant. This was affectionately referred to as "fish oil" by the mechanics or AMC manual transmission fluid (Part Number 8983 000 000). This fluid was discontinued by AMC and currently, Chrysler is recommending the use of GL3 gear oil.
i only found one place that had a reference for the amc part number and it says its 80w90 gl4 oil.

as for the difference in the transmissions between world and non world look at page 20 fig 3-10 for the world output shaft then look at page 30 figure 4-9 you can clearly see that there is NO NEEDLE BEARING between second or third gear and the shaft. that is actually a bigger difference then what type of bearing they used on the countershaft.

here is a link to the new tremac fluid they reccomend for all there newer and says can be used on older transmissions to. you will see it is a gl4 oil.
http://www.tremec.com/anexos/Literat..._19Feb2018.pdf

oldschool
post #9 of 24 Old 04-22-2020, 05:24 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
some people had good luck using synchromesh which is very thin for later manual transmissions.l

That's what I use in my T5 for years, Pennzoil Syncromesh, and it shifts as smooth as butter at any temperature, hot or cold.
cjoffroad likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #10 of 24 Old 04-22-2020, 05:31 PM
WadeHiersSr

so it seems like this topic is one that will get carved into the annals of history. I'll concede that the info I had found on Dexron II turned out to be a bad decision on AMC's part, though it doesn't really matter now since it's no longer available anyways. The question now seems to be, what's the right answer now? It seems like many use the Pennzoil Synchromesh, has anyone tried the Royal Purple version?

It also seems like the heavier gear lubes that many are fond of, have issues in colder climates making it shifts clunky/grindy until it warms up. I've found others say that adding a bit of lighter weight oil helps, while yet others argue that is an absolutely awful idea.

Finally, I'm seeing comments that say to treat the T-5 differently than the T-4 while yet other comments call them the same transmission +/- overdrive.

so.... my question is, if you had a T-5 and lived in Northern Colorado and drive it in the snow.... what would you use?
post #11 of 24 Old 04-22-2020, 05:48 PM
Rtracy2001
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeHiersSr View Post
so.... my question is, if you had a T-5 and lived in Northern Colorado and drive it in the snow.... what would you use?
If I had to run the T5 again, my personal choice would be the Syncromesh fluid. I have had several Jeep T4s and T5s over the years and that worked the best for me. I have also had T4s and T5s in S-10 Blazers and their recommended fluid was ATF too. I have not heard of a recall/fluid change in those and internal parts all seemed to interchange. The Synchromesh worked better than ATF in those too. I am in southern Idaho, we get decent winters with snow and temperatures down to -40. Summers get up to an occasional 100F. No problems with the Synchromesh in either extreme.

$0.02
WadeHiersSr likes this.

Every 20 minute job is just one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
post #12 of 24 Old 04-22-2020, 08:07 PM
85jeepmoneypit

I've got an 85 CJ7. What do you think is the most durable throwout bearing I can get for it. The second one, I was told they were both Mopar factory, is starting to go out with only a few thousand miles on it.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-22-2020, 08:20 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

i have a LUK clutch kit in my cj7. the question is what is causing it to go out. they normally don't wear out. unless the clutch isnt adjusting correctly or parts worn bad and the bearing is never leaving the pressure plate. i know when i put mine back in i had to cut the lack of high quality crown boot some for the fork would fully retract. i also added a spring from the fork to the rod that pushes the fork.

oldschool
post #14 of 24 Old 04-23-2020, 09:19 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeHiersSr View Post
I would double check that statement. Borg Warner sold this transmission off to Tremec back in the day... (I seem to recall that the entire division was broken off and formed it's own company while BW went a different direction).

Check page 5 (Page 5 of the PDF file itself... not not the page number at the bottom) of this link:

https://www.tremec.com/anexos/TRSM-T5-0510-R1_173.pdf

This is the TREMEC Service Manual for the T-5 Standard (STD) and World Class (WC). On page 5 (section 2-4) you'll find "most" of them use DEXRON II.

Incidentally, on page 4 (again the PDF File itself) it explains the differences between the STD and WC versions. They both have roller bearings, the WC has tapered bearings while the STD has straight.

The following picture is a screen scrape from the AMC/Jeep CJ Technical Service Manual (TSM).
I had a 93 Chevy S10 with the T5 (non World Class). It ran great on Dexron II. FWIW
post #15 of 24 Old 04-23-2020, 10:37 AM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
I only run synchromesh in my T5. I also run Luk clutches and they last forever. When I first got this jeep I looked all over the internet and CJ forums and most people's opinion was the synchromesh manual transmission fluid. I've never had any problems running it in hot or cold weather and it shifts perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
WadeHiersSr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in