t-150 hard to put in gear - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-12-2021, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

t-150 hard to put in gear

The T-150 in my CJ has been acting up. When at a light and I put it in neutral it is hard to get back into 1st. I can feather the clutch and get it to drop in or put it up in reverse then 1st and it does alright. It shifts great while driving no issues there, just doesn't want to go into 1st.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-12-2021, 05:33 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Do you have the "one inch" of free pedal at the top?

In other words, when you let off of the pedal, does it start engaging near the floor or closer to the top?

Is your gear juice topped off in the tranny and transfer case?

Has either been removed from the Jeep? How long ago?

Do you need help/ don't understand, with anything I have mentioned?

----JEEPFELLER
post #3 of 16 Old 09-13-2021, 06:53 PM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

Check the clutch adjustment.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-13-2021, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

It has a hydraulic clutch...fluid is full. Oil level in tranny is full. Shifts just fine. Only have issues with going into first. It didnt always have this issue but it does now. If I ru n it up into reverse it will go into first just fine. Just tired of putting it in reverse at stop lights in order for it to go into first. I can cram it into first but dont really want to break anything at the moment.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-14-2021, 10:11 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Maybe bleed the slave---could have air in it----Insure everything is bolted together well on the slave

-----JEEPFELLER
post #6 of 16 Old 09-14-2021, 10:28 AM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Sounds like a nice quirk to have, and really not much effort to shift this way, but will keep those who do not know from driving it
post #7 of 16 Old 09-14-2021, 11:11 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRotten View Post
It has a hydraulic clutch...fluid is full. Oil level in tranny is full. Shifts just fine. Only have issues with going into first. It didnt always have this issue but it does now. If I ru n it up into reverse it will go into first just fine. Just tired of putting it in reverse at stop lights in order for it to go into first. I can cram it into first but dont really want to break anything at the moment.

Most likely time for a clutch job then. Clutch plate is probably getting too thin. If that is the case it will continue to gradually get worse.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-14-2021, 12:51 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbfun View Post
Most likely time for a clutch job then. Clutch plate is probably getting too thin. If that is the case it will continue to gradually get worse.
Should probably try adjusting before tearing into things.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-14-2021, 09:52 PM
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Help him out and tell him what specific adjustments he should make. Much better than a general suggestion.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-14-2021, 11:33 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner-9R View Post
Help him out and tell him what specific adjustments he should make. Much better than a general suggestion.
He has a hydraulic slave setup so I'm not really sure of what he has. There should be an adjustment that regulates travel at the clutch fork. Another problem could be inadequate master cylinder piston travel which normally requires adjustment at the pedal pushrod.
post #11 of 16 Old Yesterday, 02:23 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post

That was my first suggestion. His reply gave me the impression that there is no adjustment. If there is adjustment available perhaps the slave cylinder rod length or ? then yes, by all means try adjusting it first.
post #12 of 16 Old Yesterday, 03:07 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
If you run it up into reverse, don't you get grinding? Also, Check and see that no engine to bell housing or transmission to bell housing bolts have loosened.
post #13 of 16 Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

No....no grinding putting it in reverse. The hydraulic clutch is all factory Jeep. I actually have a thread on here where I show it all. The clutch, throw out, and pressure plate are all less than 3 years old. Flywheel was also turned when I replaced everything. I have 2 other T-150s at the house. 1 in pieces ...for the last 10 years. Was going to rebuild it but never got around to it. Have the rebuild kit.....just picked up 2 other Jeeps and used the tranny from one of them. Another sitting in the garage that I am pretty sure works, just came out of the other CJ I parted out. Im wondering if I might have just tweaked a shift fork. Its almost like it catches on something. Like I said I can force it into 1st, but it takes more ooomph than I want to keep applying. It does not grind going into 1st at all.
post #14 of 16 Old Today, 12:07 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
No....no grinding putting it in reverse. The hydraulic clutch is all factory Jeep. I actually have a thread on here where I show it all. The clutch, throw out, and pressure plate are all less than 3 years old. Flywheel was also turned when I replaced everything. I have 2 other T-150s at the house. 1 in pieces ...for the last 10 years. Was going to rebuild it but never got around to it. Have the rebuild kit.....just picked up 2 other Jeeps and used the tranny from one of them. Another sitting in the garage that I am pretty sure works, just came out of the other CJ I parted out. Im wondering if I might have just tweaked a shift fork. Its almost like it catches on something. Like I said I can force it into 1st, but it takes more ooomph than I want to keep applying. It does not grind going into 1st at all.
I didn't think that 78 CJ's came with hydraulic clutches. If you're able to shift into reverse without grinding then your problem may not be with your clutch. Reverse on a T-150 is a sliding gear setup and if the clutch is dragging or not releasing, you would surely be grinding gears. Running it up into reverse effectively stops the transmission from spinning and allows you to shift into first. If it goes into second and high no problem whether at a stand still or moving, my initial thoughts are that you may have a first gear synchronizer problem. What oil are you using? Gear oils (most GL-5 lubes) formulated for limited slip rear ends can be too slippery for synchronizers to work properly.
post #15 of 16 Old Today, 10:52 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

In regards to your suggestion that you may have a tweaked shift fork. Could be but first and reverse use the same shift fork shifting the same synchro sleeve so probably not very likely since you are able to get first after shifting into reverse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in