switch/sensor identification- side of engine - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
mc190

switch/sensor identification- side of engine

Cleaning up the engine on a 258 I6.

Anyone know what this sensor/switch is located on the engine block. It is the one on the left. The other one is the CTO/ Ported Vacuum Switch.

when removing the headers and exhaust, the wiring from that switch separated. Just have no idea what it is.

Thinking about removing the ported vacuum switch as well. Nothing is hooked up to in anyway.

Attached Thumbnails
engine.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 11:10 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Looks like someone put a temperature sending unit in there.

that looks like a bourdon tube attached to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
mc190

a better picture of the unknown switch.
Attached Thumbnails
20190907_075037.jpg   20190907_075044.jpg  

post #4 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 06:38 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

I agree with John, looks like an old temperature sending unit. That's where I have mine mounted on the 258.

Hoov

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #5 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
mc190

Been too darn hot to work on the Jeep in the afternoons, so have not been able to trace back that wire/tubing to see where it goes.

Assuming its a temp sending unit, were can I get a replacement bourdon tube that John mentions.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 10:16 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc190 View Post
Been too darn hot to work on the Jeep in the afternoons, so have not been able to trace back that wire/tubing to see where it goes.

Assuming its a temp sending unit, were can I get a replacement bourdon tube that John mentions.
You can't. They are a sealed unit from the sensor to the gauge.

You have to replace the whole gauge.

Quote:
The Bourdon Tube
A Bourdon Tube is a thin metal — usually brass or copper — tube that is filled with an easily vaporized fluid, typically alcohol. It is sealed at both ends. At the gauge end it is formed into a circle or spiral with its end attached to the indicating needle by some form of linkage. The other end is fitted to a water-tight connector that is in direct contact with the coolant in the engine.

As the coolant warms up the alcohol in the Bourdon tube expands. The expansion transfers its force to the coiled end of the tube inside the gauge. As the coil or spiral unwinds it pulls the linkage on the needle, which in turn shows a temperature reading on the gauge face. The gauges are calibrated during the manufacturing stage and are not adjustable afterward.

Since the Bourdon Tube design is purely mechanical the gauge will continue to read some temperature level even after the engine is shut off. As the engine cools the gauge's needle will return to its rest position.

Bourdon Tube gauges aren't used anymore because of cost and convenience factors. The tubes are delicate and must be carefully routed from the dash to the appropriate fitting on the engine. The gauges themselves are far more expensive than electric or electronic gauges and if the tube is kinked or split the entire gauge assembly must be replaced.
Attached Images

Cutlass327 likes this.

post #7 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
mc190

Thanks for the explanation on The Bourdon Tube.

Looks like converting it over to an electric style.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 08:16 AM
WindKnot

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
I agree with John, looks like an old temperature sending unit. That's where I have mine mounted on the 258.

Hoov
I did that too.

I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in