Swing down spare tire carrier - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-11-2020, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Swing down spare tire carrier

I want to build a swing down spare tire carrier for my CJ5, it has a fiberglass tub.
I need it to swing down for loading my 35-12.50 spare, too heavy for me to muscle up on a swing out carrier.

Anyone have pics they could post as a guide for my design? I can fab just about anything myself.

I'm particularly concerned about the large moment that will be applied to the rear cross member, since bracing the carrier at the fiberglass tub may not be possible. Or is it?

1977 CJ5 is a CJ build ever really done?
2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-11-2020, 07:57 AM
DougE
1983 CJ7 

I faced the same problem so I tried fabbing up a receiver mounted carrier that might give you some ideas. Swing down tire carrier.

1983 CJ7, 258I6, T4, Dana 300, 31x10.5x15 DuraTrac
post #3 of 18 Old 05-11-2020, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, maybe I'm overthinking this.
There's plenty of CJ's with bumper mounted hitches...Maybe I can just integrate the carrier in the yet to be built bumper and call it done.
If the cross member can handle the moment load from a receiver hitch, than why not from a swing down carrier?

I want the carrier to pivot to the ground, so I can mount the spare on it. Then swing the tire up and lock it in place between the tub and the carrier.
Most of the designs I've seen have to attach through the body to hold them in place.
I've also seen some designs that use the roll bar to hold everything in place, but then I would lose the use of my soft top.
As I type, I'm thinking about some bracing from my roll bar through my tub, to hold the swing down mount.

2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck

post #4 of 18 Old 05-11-2020, 08:38 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

A buddy in my club built this one. His top points were anchored to the comp cut thick corners, but you should be able to build a standoff from the rollbar that will sandwich the fiberglass tub in the corners. That is a 37" bogger on the carrier. I plan to build something like this for my '6 if I ever make it out west to wheel where it isn't a quick 10 minute run back to the trailer for the spare like it is at our local ohv parks.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF6075.jpg  

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #5 of 18 Old 05-11-2020, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK,OK,Ok I got it...
I can make an angle bracket to mount inside my tub, that mounts under my roll bar and sits up against the inside rear edge of my tub.
That bracket can have a couple holes in it that I can through bolt some outside brackets to hold the mount!! No interference with my soft top, no excessive moment loads on my rear cross member.

Perfect!!

Thanks everyone!!

2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #6 of 18 Old 05-11-2020, 10:52 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Show us what you come up with when you are done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #7 of 18 Old 05-11-2020, 12:01 PM
ranger83
1986 CJ7 

This looks pretty cool

Ranger83
86 CJ7(current)
83CJ5(former)
post #8 of 18 Old 05-12-2020, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That one in the video is just about what I want.
With a bracket from under my roll bar to support the upper outside brackets I should be good to go.
Now I gotta go rummage for stock to make a bumper and the spare tire frame
I will deficately document the build and post it here

Thanks guys

2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #9 of 18 Old 05-12-2020, 09:54 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

I've built swing down and now swing out. I much prefer swing out for access to the cargo area. Only took a minute and I was very tired of having to step on the spare to load/unload stuff in the back. Since I installed the spare tire on my swing out 2 yrs ago, it has not been removed. It's not something that comes off frequently and when I'm out in the field I always have one more person that can help me lift it on/off.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
post #10 of 18 Old 05-19-2020, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Update:
I took measurements from my CJ of the important hard points
Whipped up an Inventor model
Working on the detail drawings.
Anyone that wants to make one like this, let me know, I can email you the 3D model, better if you have Inventor, but I could send IGES or other 3D filetypes...

Fourtrail and GusTheCat like this.

2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #11 of 18 Old 05-31-2020, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK, it's been a while, but here is the progress so far.

I bought some 1" OD DOM mild steel tube, and some 1/4" x 3" cold rolled bar stock. Cut everything up, drilled all the holes necessary and bent the one main tube using my SIL's Harbor Freight bender.
Also bought all the hardware...hitch pins, nuts and bolts, bronze bushings.

So here's a few pics showing, in order, individual parts, main tube, some parts held in place.

Next steps are to mount the clevises, bend the remaining tubing, weld it all up and paint it.

Fourtrail likes this.

2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #12 of 18 Old 06-02-2020, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A little more progress today...Heading to Rausch Creek on Friday, but I doubt I'll have this finished in time.

Main hoop tacked in place, lower mounting plates and clevises welded, painted and mounted.

Upper brackets, backing plates (out of view underneath), upper clevises welded, painted and mounted.

If you look carefully, you can see the lower cross brace tack welded in place.

Upper tube is bent, cut to fit, can't weld yet, waiting for a few more bronze bushings...

Once those bushings arrive tomorrow, I can finish the upper tube tack welds, add a couple more tube braces, then drag it back to my SIL's house to finish weld everything with his MIG welder, mine is just too little to do as good of a job.

Then what? Clean up all the tubing and welds, slap some paint on, and strap on the spare, at least for now. After Rausch, I'll add a plate and some studs to hold the spare (instead of a strap), and maybe a pair of drop down legs that will turn the spare tire into a work surface or table surface for lunch/snack times.

2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #13 of 18 Old 06-03-2020, 06:39 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Where it me, I'd mate the brace on top of the wheel tub to the roll bar mounting flange. That would take allot of stress off of the tub under that bracket.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #14 of 18 Old 06-03-2020, 07:47 AM
GusTheCat
1980 CJ5 

I really like this and am seriously considering building one for my CJ5 without a tailgate. Has anyone considered or done this with a rear bumper rather than using the rear crossmember for the lower mounting point?
post #15 of 18 Old 06-03-2020, 07:54 AM
KevinCJ7Jeep
1981 CJ7 

I have been thinking of making a similar style carrier, but using bar clamps to mount the upper braces to the roll bar. Will take a little longer to unbolt, but will take stress off the body.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in