Sway Bar BUSHINGS - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-20-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Sway Bar BUSHINGS

1985 CJ7 - stock suspension

Folks, are the front Sway Bar Link Bushings easy to remove? Will I need a special tool to remove and replace those bushings?
It's the stock suspension so I am simply shooting for replacing them with the same type. Do I need to do the Sway Bay bushings at this time as well?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

At $10 a piece, I would just replace the entire link rather than fight with changing the bushings in the links. Yes, I would do the sway bar bushings at the same time.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 9 Old 11-21-2019, 10:27 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I have never taken those bushing out of the stock links because I have an aftermarket custom setup. I have taken more than my share of rubber bushings out. I use an old drill but and drill the rubber out. Use WD40 or something similar. You can press them out or burn them out (not recommended) but the drill bit has always worked for me. Run the bit through the rubber several time to reduce the pressure of the bushing on the metal retaining ring and then use a punch and a hammer to knock the bushing out of the retaining ring.

EDIT...it seems that the stock links do not have a metal tube for the bolt vulcanized into the bushing. This makes it much easier. Take a hack saw blade and fish it through the hole and make a couple of cuts to relieve the tension and just push the old bushing out. The above instructions are for when there is a metal sleeve in the center of the rubber bushing too small for the saw blade to go through.

If they are only $10.00 each as said above, I would not even bother trying to replace them. The bushings have to cost something and your time is worth something.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-21-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

I just may get new ones. They are roughly $12.
I found a set of MOOG replacement rubber for the sway bar links and sway bar for about $23 so that's why I figured I'd tackle the job.
Save me a lot of time to just get new ones. Thanks!
post #5 of 9 Old 11-21-2019, 04:26 PM
DaveMueller

1976 CJ5 

Use lots of grease when you put the new ones in, and don't overtighten the bolts.

"You came here in that thing? You're braver than I thought."
post #6 of 9 Old 11-21-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Which brand is best? Moog, Daystar, Energy Suspension, ...etc.?
post #7 of 9 Old 11-22-2019, 12:36 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Do Daystar, Energy Suspension make anything buy poly bushing? I did not think they made rubber. If you want the same type of rubber bushings I do not believe those are what you want. Personally, I like the poly bushings and I like how they are easier to put back in because they are usually two pieces.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-22-2019, 06:13 AM
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

I bought daystar bushings and swapped them. I just used two sockets and a vice to press old out and new in. I cleaned up the metal first and coated with Polly bushing grease prior to going back together. It really was easy and they are AMC links still, not that those parts matter much.
I did do the entire front suspension when I did this. Upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods and spring bushings. Drove like a Jeep I never new I had!
post #9 of 9 Old 11-22-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Do you still have a list of all those replaced parts? I have the steering linkage but might as we try to do it all at the same time. Sounds like the plan!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in