1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sevenmallards

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-11-2020, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Sevenmallards

1980 CJ7 

Suspension issues

Hi,

I'm new here but figure y'all will have the answer. I recently purchased a 1980 CJ7, has I believe a 4" lift with a 2" body lift. Either the rear is sagging or the front is high, I don't know which. Measuring the rocker panel under the door directly in front of the rear wheel and directly behind the front wheel, the front is 1 1/4" higher. The rear has a pretty heavy duty spare tire system with a 35" tire, two jerry cans and a storage rack. Could the rear be sagging? I plan on removing the 2" body lift and running the stock body bushings, and Probably replacing all 4 springs. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9248.jpg  
Rsb201 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-11-2020, 08:03 PM
MrPeter63
1983 CJ7 

You got a lot of weight on the back of it... take all that stuff off and it will probly sit level. If you want to keep it, You could always use an add-a-leaf in the rear to level it as much as possible..
post #3 of 9 Old 07-11-2020, 09:10 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

The shackle reversal on the front adds an extra inch of lift and the extra weight on the rear is sagging it a bit. You can add a leaf to the rear to help with the weight and maybe go to a slightly longer shackle in the rear to level out the Jeep.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #4 of 9 Old 07-11-2020, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Sevenmallards

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeter63 View Post
You got a lot of weight on the back of it... take all that stuff off and it will probly sit level. If you want to keep it, You could always use an add-a-leaf in the rear to level it as much as possible..
I'll try that and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
The shackle reversal on the front adds an extra inch of lift and the extra weight on the rear is sagging it a bit. You can add a leaf to the rear to help with the weight and maybe go to a slightly longer shackle in the rear to level out the Jeep.

What can I do in the front to bring the front down? I bought the Jeep like this, so I have no idea what springs are on it. I'd like to bring it down a bit and go with 33's instead of 35's but its got 4.88's. I think I can redo the carrier system in the back with some lighter gauge material, and drop the jerry cans.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-11-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Sevenmallards

1980 CJ7 

Where is a good source of suspension parts?
post #6 of 9 Old 07-12-2020, 01:31 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenmallards View Post
I'll try that and see how it goes.

What can I do in the front to bring the front down? I bought the Jeep like this, so I have no idea what springs are on it. I'd like to bring it down a bit and go with 33's instead of 35's but its got 4.88's. I think I can redo the carrier system in the back with some lighter gauge material, and drop the jerry cans.
I agree. Removing the jerry cans and moving the spare closer to the tailgate will probably help.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-12-2020, 03:54 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You will indeed need 6" of lift in the back to cope with those big tyres. I would concentrate on raising the back than lowering the front.

A good source of suspension parts is Rockauto, good brands include Moog and to an extent MORE. However your situation is one where you need custom parts.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 9 Old 07-12-2020, 08:11 AM
Rsb201

1986 CJ7 

Garage
More pics of that jeep please 🙏

1986 CJ7 4.2 Weber T176 D300
post #9 of 9 Old 07-12-2020, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Sevenmallards

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
You will indeed need 6" of lift in the back to cope with those big tyres. I would concentrate on raising the back than lowering the front.

A good source of suspension parts is Rockauto, good brands include Moog and to an extent MORE. However your situation is one where you need custom parts.
What size tires do you run? I'm not opposed to going down to 33's. Even with 4.88's I'm going to do the AX15 swap so gearing should be ok on the freeway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in