Suggestions for a Cj8 Bikini top family cage! - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By JEEPFELLER

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-25-2020, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Joshuathomson

Suggestions for a Cj8 Bikini top family cage!

Hi guys. I have an ‘83 CJ8 Scrambler with a full length family cage. I’m looking for a best option for a high quality bikini type shade top.

Preferably one that I can leave on year round and put a hard top right over in the winter months.

I’ve seen what I want on a local truck that was a SEMA build a few years back. It appears to be a one off custom job . I’ve reached out to the owner online but he’s being tight lipped about the top. Which, is understandable I guess?

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. I’m also interested in a custom option made locally in the Southern California area if anyone knows of a place that does really good custom interior/exterior upholstery work.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-25-2020, 01:09 AM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Took a standard bikini to an awning company with the 8. They measured and simply made it longer with attachment loops, etc. we have full rear cage too. Works great. Good luck.

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-25-2020, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Joshuathomson

Great idea! What size was the original Bikini top you had ordered? Did you just order the biggest one you could find and added on to that, or was it just the standard size for a Cj7, and then had them add on to that? Thanks for the info!🙏🙏

post #4 of 11 Old 06-29-2020, 08:44 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Tired of quick dry rot/ tearing/ staining/ and above all, that wet butt syndrome well after any raining.

Instead of going back again with "what it's supposed to have" expensive aftermarket canvas seats in my '46 Willys this go round,

I was able to talk a supply guy out of a roll of olive drab rubbery type material, internally reinforced with what looks like nylon strands. He added that it and a bunch of other stuff was dumpster bound before their next inspection.

This stuff is really tough! Water dried off with a rag! Believe it or not, it looks like it belongs there!

Most people I took it to whined that their machine could not run it or their needles would constantly break.

Then

One day

With no thoughts about it.

I was with a friend picking up his boat motor at a rural type boat dealership?

At the front counter was a business card for a marine upholsterer who did tops and seats.

I supplied the wood bottoms, foam, and material and he did a super job on my two front and rear seats, do you think $100 was reasonable?!

Ain't they plum pertty?

---JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0446.jpg  
caseypotts and John Strenk like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-29-2020, 09:18 PM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuathomson View Post
Great idea! What size was the original Bikini top you had ordered? Did you just order the biggest one you could find and added on to that, or was it just the standard size for a Cj7, and then had them add on to that? Thanks for the info!🙏🙏
Oops, just saw ur reply. IIRC an islander cj7 bikini top, one wit the needed windshield top slotted channel that screws into place. We deployed it, took measurements and the awning guys perfectly matched it material wise and simply extended it to the rear family bar.

FWIW our fam cage is another 8 factory bar just reversed so the tubing looks uniform.

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-29-2020, 09:23 PM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Rubicon trail run With 1/2 cab and full doors. It was cold and rainy. But gives an idea about the fam cage. Gotta hunt for a bikini top shot.
Attached Thumbnails
2C8408E5-BA1F-423D-BA96-336FF29F71C1.jpg  

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

post #7 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Joshuathomson

Awesome! Those look great! Definitely going the custom marine upholstery route. Luckily I live near the coast so, there’s a lot of options in my area! Thanks for the pics! Keep em coming!🤙🏽🤙🏽
post #8 of 11 Old 07-05-2020, 02:27 PM
gpassida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuathomson View Post
Hi guys. I have an 83 CJ8 Scrambler with a full length family cage. Im looking for a best option for a high quality bikini type shade top.

Preferably one that I can leave on year round and put a hard top right over in the winter months.

Ive seen what I want on a local truck that was a SEMA build a few years back. It appears to be a one off custom job . Ive reached out to the owner online but hes being tight lipped about the top. Which, is understandable I guess?

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Im also interested in a custom option made locally in the Southern California area if anyone knows of a place that does really good custom interior/exterior upholstery work.

Thanks for the help!
I had a custom bikini top made here in Redding, CA (Far Northern California) It cost me about $400.00. Not cheap but works great and has held up well. If you had someone design something like it but had the front edge snap or velcro around your front cage hoop instead of the windshield channel, you could probably have it under a full length hard top.

It has velcro straps to keep it tight on the stop roll bar hoop. That helped a lot with the flapping.
Attached Thumbnails
Bikini Passenger.jpg   Bikini Driver.jpg   Bikini under.jpg  
post #9 of 11 Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpassida View Post
I had a custom bikini top made here in Redding, CA (Far Northern California) It cost me about $400.00. Not cheap but works great and has held up well. If you had someone design something like it but had the front edge snap or velcro around your front cage hoop instead of the windshield channel, you could probably have it under a full length hard top.

It has velcro straps to keep it tight on the stop roll bar hoop. That helped a lot with the flapping.
Rubicon scramble in September. Ready for a challenge ?

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM
gpassida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
Rubicon scramble in September. Ready for a challenge ?
Hi Mark!

I'm going to have to skip this year. Took the Scrambler down to the frame and am in process of rebuilding it. Lot's left to do.

Here is what it looks like right now. And it will be Voodoo Blue! Quite the change from White...

Take care,

George
Attached Thumbnails
Scram1.jpg   Scram2.jpg   Scram3.jpg  
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 01:11 AM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Sweet! My rig under Major refreshing. New engine, PSC steering and chevy 63 leaf springs out back plus lots more. You have more patience than I. Project like that wife would kick me out, lol.

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in