Stereo issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-10-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
cbates670
1973 CJ5 

Stereo issues

Hello,

I have a 73 CJ5, well it had an old cassette player in it and sounded like crap. I went down and bought a new dual cd/bluetooth stereo, 2 dual 6x9's and two box's to fit the speakers into. So I wired it into the wiring that was there and is played great and sounded better. Its dual so not gonna be amazing lol, well I was going to go to town and started the Jeep and the stereo shuts off, killed the Jeep and stereo turns on again.

Well I figured that there might be some issues with the old wiring, so I traced it and remove all of it. Ran new speaker wire, ran new power and ground wires, one straight to the battery for + and one to the ground block on the fire wall. I wired red and yellow together to + and black to the new ground. Well with the key to the on position stereo plays just fine, but start the Jeep and after a few seconds stereo shut off, kill Jeep and stereo comes back on.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
cbates670
1973 CJ5 

I think I have figured it out, I bought a voltage step down to 12 volts. I am thinking that since the Jeep jumps to 14 volts while running it is making the stereo protection system come in. It will be delivered Monday so I will update then.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2018, 09:41 PM
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbates670 View Post
I think I have figured it out, I bought a voltage step down to 12 volts. I am thinking that since the Jeep jumps to 14 volts while running it is making the stereo protection system come in. It will be delivered Monday so I will update then.
I've never seen one that shuts down at 14.7 volts, which is what most systems charge at. They often shut down at too low voltage, or even too small gauge power wire. I had to run a dedicated power wire to my stereo or it would shut down on the factory Jeeps wiring.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

FWIW - I've installed at least 6-7 different stereos in my Jeep over the years and never had a problem with power to any of them. I always run the red power to radio terminal on the fuse block (only gets power with key in the run/start or ACC position). The yellow memory wire (if equipped with such) I connect to the clock terminal on the fuse block (your 73 fuse block may not have a clock terminal, but any circuit that gets constant power like the brake lights should work the same). The black ground wire I usually run directly to the battery (-) post although with the metal dash, the stereo usually works even without a ground wire connected at all.

Perhaps you are on to something with overcharge voltage coming off the battery (+) post (this would indicate a problem with the alternator/voltage regulator), but it seems unlikely because you'd probably be having problems with additional circuits in that case. I assume you're using some type of in-line fuse on your power feed to the stereo? Can you return/exchange the stereo?

When I was younger, I thought I was Don Quixote... turns out I'm just another donkey-hootie.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-11-2018, 01:34 PM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

A 73 doesn't have fuse box or a clock. Come off the accessory wire from the ignition switch. Fuse the input.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-11-2018, 10:13 PM
justals
1986 CJ7 

Garage
How is your battery and charging system?

I have a dual battery system and parasitic drain from my radio. Need to put it to backup to start car if I switch to early car dies but radio still works

85 CJ - Renegade; 85 CJ - Base; 86 CJ - Laredo
14 JKU - Rubicon; 14 Cherokee - Latitude
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
cbates670
1973 CJ5 

I have had to replace the alternator and voltage regulator, but that was before the installing of the stereo. I went back with all OEM stuff and have no issues since then with charging. Installed the voltage reducer and now the stereo works just fine. I did test the electrical system to make sure everything running right and all looks good.

Tags
cj5 , stereo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in